Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Favourite Classical Music

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Favourite Classical Music Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:01 am

EVM's piano thread set me thinking.

Does anyone else like classical music?

I do, but my knowledge is somewhat limited, so when I go online to browse-buy classical music, I often find it difficult to track down something I like.

Any recommendations? I prefer concertos and chamber music to symphonies and Opera.

My recommendation to others is Bach's Goldberg Variations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:05 am

Any Bach Cantata is always very enjoyable. There have been some excellent performances in St Annes Church on Dawson Street in recent years.

I used to sing in a few choirs, should really get back into it, it is great fun. Singing at the National Concert Hall was a highlight, it carries a similar thrill to sporting events I have participated in. A trip to the Concert Hall is always enjoyable, whichever side of the stage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:07 am

I like classical music, but same deal - I don't know too much about it.
I generally know what I like when I hear it, and I do like a lot of Bach's stuff.
I've also spent a bit of time listening to Verdi.
Then there's always Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (the song O Fortuna is commonly known as the Old Spice ad song)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:11 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I like classical music, but same deal - I don't know too much about it.
I generally know what I like when I hear it.

I listen to a few online classical radio stations, and when I hear something I like, I make a note and then buy it later. I bought a Viola Concerto by Bruch recently that I would never have found any other way.

AfricanDave wrote:

Then there's always Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (the song O Fortuna is commonly known as the Old Spice ad song)

I've always found that that reminds me of Damian - The Omen, which is a movie that really freaks me out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:14 am

As I said in the other thread, I adore Rachmaninoff.

I'm also a big, big fan of Wagner. Die Meistersinger being my favourite of favourites.

*wanders out of thread shouting Wahn! Wahn! Uberall Wahn!...*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:18 am

Try Brahms' "Deutsches Requiem" conducted by John Eliot Gardiner if you can. Sublime.

A good website is Alex Ross' www.therestisnoise.com
He's the NYT's music critic and has just published a book of the same title. You can listen to excerpts from all kinds of stuff on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:19 am

seinfeld wrote:

I listen to a few online classical radio stations, and when I hear something I like, I make a note and then buy it later. I bought a Viola Concerto by Bruch recently that I would never have found any other way.
Have you any links for online classical radio stations?
I like to listen to Lyric FM the odd time but the ariel is broken on my car so the radio doesn't work to well.

seinfeld wrote:
I've always found that that reminds me of Damian - The Omen, which is a movie that really freaks me out.
It reminds me of the Omen too. Is the song actually used in that film? I don't think it is but it really should have been.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:19 am

cookiemonster wrote:

I'm only familiar with the Piano Concertos. What else should I listen to?

cookiemonster wrote:

I'm also a big, big fan of Wagner. Die Meistersinger being my favourite of favourites.

Is that an opera?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:22 am

AfricanDave wrote:
seinfeld wrote:

Have you any links for online classical radio stations?

http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html

and this is all music, no chat:

http://www.avroklassiek.nl/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:23 am

I'm a big classical fan. I can never decide who I like more, Bach or Paganini.

I'd recommend Bach's Lute Suite Prelude and Paganini's 24 Caprices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:27 am

johnfás wrote:
Any Bach Cantata is always very enjoyable. There have been some excellent performances in St Annes Church on Dawson Street in recent years.

I used to sing in a few choirs, should really get back into it, it is great fun. Singing at the National Concert Hall was a highlight, it carries a similar thrill to sporting events I have participated in. A trip to the Concert Hall is always enjoyable, whichever side of the stage.

I do love the NCH, I've not been there in ages though, must change that.

Ohhh...
http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Giants-of-Ragtime---Stride-Piano-(1).aspx?date=13/06/2008&time=1305

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/RTE-National-Symphony-Orchestra--The-Film-Music-of.aspx?date=20/06/2008&time=2000

OOOOOOH!

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/St--Petersburg-Philharmonic-Orchestra.aspx?date=07/10/2008&time=2000
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:35 am

I like loads of classical but I never know who it is or what it's called. I do know that I prefer the soft flowing violin stuff.

The music in the Amadeus movie was fantastic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:35 am

seinfeld wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

I'm only familiar with the Piano Concertos. What else should I listen to?

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, variations 16-17-18 being my favourtie.

Preludes Op. 23 No. 5 in G minor.

seinfeld wrote:

cookiemonster wrote:

Is that an opera?

Tis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:38 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I like loads of classical but I never know who it is or what it's called. I do know that I prefer the soft flowing violin stuff.

That's the best part, first you find out who it is, then you pick up a CD for next to nothing, then you listen to everything they've ever composed and you hear so much more that you love.

The music in the Amadeus movie was fantastic.

Mozart, funny enough... Very Happy It's a great movie.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:45 am

cookiemonster wrote:

I felt sorry for the other fellow, Saliari I think...was that his name Cookie ?
I must get that movie out again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:48 am

John Williams performs the Prelude to Bach's 4th. Lute Suite.

Itzhak Perlman performs the 1st, 5th and 24th Caprices from Paganini's 24 Caprices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:51 am

cookiemonster wrote:

Mozart does nothing for me. Its just doesn't challenge. It has no edge.

When I think of Mozart, I think of Tiger Woods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:54 am

Mendelson might be your man

That's the composer, not the bete noir of Irish farmers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:01 am

That Bach piece by John Williams is incredible.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:01 am

seinfeld wrote:

That's quite a unique thought process you have there seinfeld Very Happy

What was so completely different between Bach and Wolfie ? Maybe I shoukld go and listen to some and see for myself.

Good thread seinfeld. Auditor must be asleep again. That fellow is always asleep...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:03 am

cookiemonster wrote:

I felt sorry for the other fellow, Saliari I think...was that his name Cookie ?
I must get that movie out again.

Salieri, Antonio Salieri.

I'm going to have to go watch it again. I wouldn't call Mozart my favourite but I do find his music very enjoyable. It was the pop music of it's day and I do love a bit if decent pop.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:08 am

Ah yes Salieri. He was brilliant himself, just got eclipsed by an unfortunate genius. These things happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:10 am

Ah yes Salieri. He was brilliant himself, just got eclipsed by an unfortunate genius. These things happen.

Mozart had better PR.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:11 am

seinfeld wrote:

What was so completely different between Bach and Wolfie ? Maybe I shoukld go and listen to some and see for myself.

I don't get any sense of personality from Mozart; its just pure music, whereas if I listen to Rachmaninov, its like the guy is in the room telling me a really weird but utterly compelling story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:14 am

seinfeld wrote:
seinfeld wrote:

I don't get any sense of personality from Mozart; its just pure music, whereas if I listen to Rachmaninov, its like the guy is in the room telling me a really weird but utterly compelling story.

Not in the room, in you body playing every nerve ending like the keys on a piano.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Classical Music   Favourite Classical Music Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite Classical Music
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next