Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Giving out about Hiberno-English

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:29 pm

And of course we have presses, though not so much delft anymore. Did when we were kids.

When we were given out to, we might also have been told to "hold our whisht".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:46 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Another endearing feature of Hiberno-English is our refusal to use Yes and No to answer questions.

Example:
Are you going to the shop?
I am!

We use the verb rather than Yes or No. Its a classic example of using Irish language constructs when speaking English.
There is a question of how much of this is 'natural' and how much is deliberately put on. Often there's little difference. Irish people take pride in their dialect, especially as a distinguishing mark from the English.

When I was a kid, 'amn't' was used often enough instead of 'am not' but I grew out of it. A few years ago I read Tarry Flynn, where I rediscovered this old phrase. I find myself using it again sometimes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:57 pm

'Usen't to'

is used instead of

'didn't used to'. I wonder do English speakers elsewhere use 'usen't to'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:53 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Ending a sentence with a preposition is also something we do which the Americans find funny.
Such as - "When God made time, he made plenty of it".
'It' isn't a preposition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
'Usen't to'

is used instead of

English people say "didn't use to". As, for example, "didn't like to".

- I liked to walk there.
- I didn't like to walk there.

- I used to walk there.
- I didn't use to walk there.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a very strange English expression.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:19 pm

soubresauts wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
'Usen't to'

is used instead of

- I liked to walk there.

- I used to walk there.

I think the d at the end of 'used' is just merged into the t at the start of 'to', as opposed to it being omitted. The running together of words in that manner is apparently quite distinctive in Irish and British speakers of the language.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm

Next Saturday and this Saturday is different.

Around this way, people say "I do be" something, a nice old grammatic form.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Atticus wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
English bold = courageous
Irish bold = naughty

An English child would pat a dog and an Irish child would rub him.

rub?! Shocked

In our part of the world, we'd "bonny" the dog.

There are EU laws against that sort of thing now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:43 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Atticus wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Irish bold = naughty

rub?! Shocked

In our part of the world, we'd "bonny" the dog.

There are EU laws against that sort of thing now.

However, if you vote against Lisbon they'll go away. Remember - a No vote is a dog-bonnying vote!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:55 am

cactus flower wrote:
Irish bold = naughty

Dána of course means both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:59 am

soubresauts wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
'Usen't to'

is used instead of

- I liked to walk there.

- I used to walk there.

The idea that you can express the imperfect tense using the verb use is rather strange in itself. Almost as crazy as using 'will' as in to want, to express the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:45 am

riadach wrote:
The idea that you can express the imperfect tense using the verb use is rather strange in itself. Almost as crazy as using 'will' as in to want, to express the future.
English eh? - where noses run and feet smell.

One thing on pronunciation around the country between 'new' words is there an East/West Irish divide? - already this morning we have

Prius /pri:us/ ('pree-us')
or
/praius/?

and

Lidl ('liddle')
or
/laidl/ (rhymes with 'bible')

For me, pree-us and liddle
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:53 am

The Germans say leeeeee-dle. I asked one last week. cyclops
I usually say liddle (fiddle)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:11 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
The Germans say leeeeee-dle. I asked one last week. cyclops
I usually say liddle (fiddle)
There's an annoying ad on in the north where the characters all pronounce it Leedle; even the one's who don't like Lidle pronounce it correctly for some reason. It sounds ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Next Saturday and this Saturday is different.

Is that like 'Saturday next' and 'Saturday Last'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Well if you say this Saturday for the next one coming an English person would say next Saturday. I think. I know I have been caught a few times on that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:36 pm

'Next Saturday' and 'this Saturday' mean the same thing to me: the upcoming Saturday. But 'Satuday next' mean the Saturday of next week (and vice versa for Saturday last).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:17 pm

There's a bit of misunderstanding here about "next Saturday" and "this Saturday".

Americans are pretty unambiguous (to themselves) about it: "This Saturday" means Saturday this week, whereas "next Saturday" means Saturday of next week.

So the transatlantic conversations can be confusing.

Despite spending a lot of time in America, I can't remember if there's any similar difference in referring to past days. Do Americans mean the same as we do by "last Tuesday"?

905, I think you could cause confusion by your use of "Saturday next" and "Saturday last". Adding "week" is the way to go for eliminating ambiguity: "Saturday next week" and "Saturday last week".

Last edited by soubresauts on Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 2:21 pm

soubresauts wrote:
There's a bit of misunderstanding here about "next Saturday" and "this Saturday".

Americans are pretty unambiguous (to themselves) about it: "This Saturday" means Saturday this week, whereas "next Saturday" means Saturday of next week.

So the transatlantic conversations can be confusing.

Despite spending a lot of time in America, I can't remember if there's any similar difference in referring to past days. Do Americans mean the same as we do by "last Tuesday"?
I did not know that.

Feckin' Americans, they're after ruining the language!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptySat May 24, 2008 6:39 pm

'After' is another expression that I think is unique to these shores, as in 'I am after having a big fight about the Lisbon Treaty with some mentals'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 am

smiffy wrote:
'After' is another expression that I think is unique to these shores, as in 'I am after having a big fight about the Lisbon Treaty with some mentals'.
That comes directly from 'tar eis' doesn't it? Pity there aren't more non-hiberno english speakers around to give us some feedback. Atticus I believe you are in england but you'd know these irish expressions so you mightn't be able to comment. youngdan you could give us some feedback from across the pond couldn't you.

Would you say stuff like the above such s 'I'm after stubbing my toe' meaning 'I just stubbed my toe' ? I think you would.

Want
'He'd want to be careful when he goes out there to America - they'd rob the eyes out of your spuds out there'

On/of
Used to express surprise/derision/mockery/contempt (?)
'The head on him' - 'Look at the head on him you'd swear he slept under the bed'
'The face of him' - 'You should have seen the face of him when I told him I'd bought a Merc too.
- used to express sulkiness - would you look at the face on that child.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 am

Just to throw in a Welshism from my granny - they would say "Come over here by me" which I guess comes in some way from Welsh grammar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Are you Welsh? I'm supprized no one axed you that already.

"Making a show" - anyone know a few meanings for that one? It's often used for "causing a fuss" or "making a show of someone" - to embarrass them.

I recently heard it used as "complaining with indignation". "James O'Reilly was making a show about the cancer misdiagnoses on ClareFM". Just like "giving out" I suppose. Anyone?

Edit : it could also mean "lamenting". "My daughter made a show when her cat got flattened by a tractor".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Around here, one usually makes a show of oneself Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Banjaxed, segotia, bowsie and fluthered are all Hiberno-English words I can think of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving out about Hiberno-English
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next