Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

So What will I do with The Refuge ?

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
riadach wrote:
Turn it into a medieval irish history based game.

How?

Forum based, see here http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Century_Glory/index.php?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 11:19 am

ibis wrote:

I know what people are saying about litigation - but has Dave ever been sued? Hmm...p.ie could be a complete monkey-wrench in the publicity campaign if someone decided to suddenly seriously breach DGDS. "Libertas Director to be sued for libel" is not a headline you'd want to be looking at while running your campaign!

It'd be a real shame if that's what was behind it... considering the anonymity of posters, P.ie was a great example of free speech and tolerance (seriously... it was...). with respect to us being a litigious lot, at least the yanks have free speech in their constitution (even if it's just an aspiration). Our libel laws really are all that props up the unsavoury elements of this country.

Thanks for the refuge and now for this new home though...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 12:42 pm

AuditorGeneral wrote:
David Cochrane would have done the backups quite a bit himself I assume. Isn't it not press a few buttons and there you are ? Andrew would have organised it for him to enter a command on the command line or a scripted menu or something.

But maybe the man got tired of it. I think a site like that would be wide-open to litigation - the irish are the most litiginous people on the planet after the yanks.

Maybe he's updating th BB software. The existing BB software is a customised version 2 ? , possibly with all sorts of quirky connectioins to he MySQL. So updating to say Version 3 would be a tricky enough job, and require lots of testing. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 pm

Has anyone faced the possibility that all those old threads may be lost forever apart from caches saved on Google?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 pm

slartibuckfast wrote:
Has anyone faced the possibility that all those old threads may be lost forever apart from caches saved on Google?

I'd say it's unlikely the data is gone gone. But the possibility that we may never read it again is increasing daily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:30 pm

I've posted regular on two forums before that were hacked and all the data went forever (in fact one of them never went up again). I'm not saying it is hacked but if it is...

I shouldn't even have said that...that Indymedia thread will have someone on it blaming me as a seriel hacker now Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Should not be a problem if the database is backed up to DVD or whatever. If it's not backed up then yeh, Doom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: e   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm overwhelmed.. huge sobs are wraking my soul.. I feel like that guy at the end of The Killing Fields when he thought he was parted for ever until he is finally reunited with the friend he left behind.. and and and ... sudden realisation.. you guys have been here all this time and nobody told me?? I can see it everywhere eVotingMachine, Pfk1, Pidge, ibis, KateP, you're all here!! Collapses on the floor and sobs again...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:27 pm

croppyboy wrote:
I'm overwhelmed.. huge sobs are wraking my soul.. I feel like that guy at the end of The Killing Fields when he thought he was parted for ever until he is finally reunited with the friend he left behind.. and and and ... sudden realisation.. you guys have been here all this time and nobody told me?? I can see it everywhere eVotingMachine, Pfk1, Pidge, ibis, KateP, you're all here!! Collapses on the floor and sobs again...
It's all right croppyboy, we know how you feel all too well. You're safe now. Sit down and let us all share horror stories about the strange places we've been.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm

slartibuckfast wrote:

A little like lifting back the sheet on a corpse but some archiving here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070126064108/http://www.politics.ie/
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:16 pm

My god TT that is mad. Seems like it's been gone for ages. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:19 pm

croppyboy wrote:

How' did you find us croppy? Indymedia ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:55 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
croppyboy wrote:

How' did you find us croppy? Indymedia ?
Google was just pulling out cached threads but then I found the inymedia piece - that had no link itself but after I went public with my loss ibis was good enough to share the sacred trail with me producing a tattered but navigable still manuscript from beneath the seat of his trusty dodge, X marked the spot and I was back on the beach..

But seriously guys this is great - all the boards, the bells, the PMs - Is it self-managing by a collective of P.ie refugees - who set it up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:37 pm

The blessed Evotingmachine and Auditor, I believe. My appreciation is boundless.
Sounds like we need some good legal advice. Perhaps there is someone out there who can help. I would not like any individual to be exposed to risk. In the meantime I will be sure to stick to
proven and documented fact if I want to say anything about anyone Very Happy .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:43 pm

So what the hell happened back in the other place.. the one that dare not speak its name? Or has that being discussed ad infinitum elsewhere?

I think this is great but it will need to pick up the other refugees to achieve critical mass - what's the best way to get the word out?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm

I started a thread about Israel and Palestine, not a single crazy Islamofascist/Zionazi post! Do we really need all the old gang back? We could make it more of a gentleman's club.

I'm serious, this is the way a lot of sites are going now. Instead of being full of idiots they are trying to become exclusive. Equality is overrated.

Ever read Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine? This could be just what we were looking for to rid ourselves of dead weight. Homer referred to it as a crisatunity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 pm

It is true, in the dying days the city was crumbling while DC played fiddle.. trolls danced and posters gnashed teeth.. It was getting impossible to have a decent conversation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So What will I do with The Refuge ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2