Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

So What will I do with The Refuge ?

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

So What will I do with The Refuge ? Empty
PostSubject: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Right so, will I close down The Refuge now?

I can replace it with a banner page to direct everyone Here.

What ye think ?
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:14 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Right so, will I close down The Refuge now?

I can replace it with a banner page to direct everyone Here.

What ye think ?

I don't know .. Why don't we ask em on The Refuge? Or let it exist for a little while beside this one...?

No one is liable for nothing (sic) here right? (am getting the jitters a bit now too)
Back to top Go down
https://machinenation.forumakers.com

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Is this one bound to be any more reliable than the refuge?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Unfortunately the host provider where the refuge is sitting also decided to upgrade their MySQL boxes on Sunday Morning. Pure coincidence that this happened a few days after the refuge started. They had an over run into Monday, and some bits were not put back together until I contacted them again this morning. So I would hope the refuge is equally as reliable as any other site now.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 6:37 pm

We can test them both concurrently though, using this one mainly, no?

Of course all our IP addresses are logged somewhere so we're shagged anyway if someone calls Harney a *** *****
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Turn it into a medieval irish history based game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Hard to say... It will remain forever in my heart though. And of course it will be recorded in the tale of our exile: 'p.iesaga'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:28 pm

905 wrote:
Hard to say... It will remain forever in my heart though. And of course it will be recorded in the tale of our exile: 'p.iesaga'.
P.iexodus?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:30 pm

riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
P.iexodus?
Imram p.ie?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 9:36 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
P.iexodus?
Imram p.ie?
Magnum p.ie?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 11:41 pm

riadach wrote:
Turn it into a medieval irish history based game.

How?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 11:42 pm

riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
P.iexodus?

P.ieviction more like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:02 am

The Pieaspora?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:05 am

Excellent ibis Cool

The Piessed off wondering what happened?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 am

Kate P wrote:
Excellent ibis Cool

Thanks!

Kate P wrote:

Yes, it's pretty rude, really. Not having time to get the site back up is one thing, but not having time to write an apology, or give out some information, is a bit of a blatant reminder that DC has other priorities.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:15 am

ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Excellent ibis Cool

Thanks!

Kate P wrote:

Yes, it's pretty rude, really. Not having time to get the site back up is one thing, but not having time to write an apology, or give out some information, is a bit of a blatant reminder that DC has other priorities.

Yeah I completely agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:18 am

My apologies for chucking everyone out of The Refuge like that. Crying or Very sad I'll open it again tomorrow for reading, but it's better in the long run if we get settled in here.

How long will the long run be ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:19 am

A week is a long time in p.ielotics - I felt a bit like Harry Potter under the stairs until evmHagrid and Albus Auditor came to the rescue.

It's nice to be nice - and it's not hard to let people who have invested (more) time (than is healthy) on the site know where they stand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:23 am

My apologies for chucking everyone out of The Refuge like that. Crying or Very sad I'll open it again tomorrow for reading, but it's better in the long run if we get settled in here.

I can't see any end in sight, so it could be a good while yet. Thanks to you and Auditor for setting up these sites anyway.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 am

I just logged in again . sorry boss
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:13 am

Rocky wrote:

I can't see any end in sight, so it could be a good while yet. Thanks to you and Auditor for setting up these sites anyway.
Hey Rocky don't let us take all the responsibility - I think we're both of the mind that that was the easy bit - unless it falls over regularly or we get kicked out for using up someone's diskspace (we hardly will) the difficulty is managing the site legally. Imagine having to fret over legalities and God knows what because someone called Harney a *** **** or something? It could be nerve wracking - maybe Cochrane had a nervous breakdown poor fella or an aneurism brought on solely by Toxic Avenger...

So anyone who wants this site to continue I reckon should collaborate in the best spirit of democracy to work out a few things first if we are going to start looking at the long run.

Ultimately I am responsible for the site but as it is hosted on free forum space then it could be treated as an open-source type project where everyone chips and the site develops from there. Technical issues are one thing - we have plenty of experienced technical people here who already have thrown their shoulders in but that's the least of our worries, frankly. It's litigation that I'd be afraid of ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:18 am

If p.ie was hacked, then DC could not comment upon it as it could be part of an ongoing investigation. The first stage in that involves freezing the server/site for forensics. Though it might as easily be the lack of any techie backup and that could easily take out a site like p.ie if nobody knew how to back up databases, rotate logs or apply patches.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:35 am

David Cochrane would have done the backups quite a bit himself I assume. Isn't it not press a few buttons and there you are ? Andrew would have organised it for him to enter a command on the command line or a scripted menu or something.

But maybe the man got tired of it. I think a site like that would be wide-open to litigation - the irish are the most litiginous people on the planet after the yanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 am

AuditorGeneral wrote:
David Cochrane would have done the backups quite a bit himself I assume. Isn't it not press a few buttons and there you are ? Andrew would have organised it for him to enter a command on the command line or a scripted menu or something.

But maybe the man got tired of it. I think a site like that would be wide-open to litigation - the irish are the most litiginous people on the planet after the yanks.

Ach, I don't think there was any sign that he was about to chuck in the game - asking for an admin to replace Andrew etc. Mind you, perhaps the new admin's first action was to accidentally murder the site...

I know what people are saying about litigation - but has Dave ever been sued? Hmm...p.ie could be a complete monkey-wrench in the publicity campaign if someone decided to suddenly seriously breach DGDS. "Libertas Director to be sued for libel" is not a headline you'd want to be looking at while running your campaign!
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:34 am

ibis, the words nail, head come to mind. there wasn't a whiff of a sign that there was a closure on the way unless the Andrew story was a beard. is he really gone does anyone at least know that ? he has a blog site I think.. Andrew Page
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So What will I do with The Refuge ?   So What will I do with The Refuge ? Empty

Back to top Go down

So What will I do with The Refuge ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next