Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Men's stuff

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Lads, how many feckin types of Mach 3/4/5 Wilkinson Sword Fusion nuclear powered razors are there on the market at all? And the price of some of them Shocked

I'm happy to say that I've still got a Mach 3 (one of the razors before they started putting the computers in) and I've actually lost count of the number of good shaves I've got from the one blade I've had in it for months.

It is highly recommended that a good hot towel be used to soften up the face before shaving and to avoid the added complexity and confusion involved in shaving, ordinary body soap instead of shaving foam works adequately.

In the event of your washing machine breaking down, soap can also be used to wash clothes. You couldn't wash your clothes with shaving foam I imagine. Indeed, soap can be used to wash just about anything - why bother with anything besides? In fact I am looking forward to the day when soap can be used instead of washing up liquid, window cleaner and car-windscreen detergent. Ah, roll on the future.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 5:25 pm

I can't even wash my face with regular soap. My skin is way to sensitive so I have to get metrosexual on its ass.

(can you still me metrosexual if you're gay? Or is that the point?)
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Lads, how many feckin types of Mach 3/4/5 Wilkinson Sword Fusion nuclear powered razors are there on the market at all? And the price of some of them Shocked

I'm happy to say that I've still got a Mach 3 (one of the razors before they started putting the computers in) and I've actually lost count of the number of good shaves I've got from the one blade I've had in it for months.

It is highly recommended that a good hot towel be used to soften up the face before shaving and to avoid the added complexity and confusion involved in shaving, ordinary body soap instead of shaving foam works adequately.

In the event of your washing machine breaking down, soap can also be used to wash clothes. You couldn't wash your clothes with shaving foam I imagine. Indeed, soap can be used to wash just about anything - why bother with anything besides? In fact I am looking forward to the day when soap can be used instead of washing up liquid, window cleaner and car-windscreen detergent. Ah, roll on the future.

Yep - still have me Mach 3 and Mach 3 power (got it for Christmas from me mammie) ages now - still in great nick and I still have the first battery over 3 years now and it still vibrates away goodo - tho I wish there was "lock button" on it - kind of embarrasing when it goes off in your luggage and that mad sound it makes is not conductive to a good reception from Airport security.

Fair point about the blades tho - at the rate things are going they'll soon replace the dollar as hard currency - 15 quid I spend on a packet of 6 last year - thank god they last!
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:39 pm

I've mostly used Wilkinson Swords 3-blade and have had no issues whatsoever with them. They do the job, the aloe strip feels great on the skin and I'm that good shaving I barely need balm afterwards.

I'd recommend them.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

A MACH 3!?

Feck that, I've still got my Gillette Sensor (Not Sensor Excel, Sensor). You can't even buy them anymore. I keep it wrapped in moist gauze on the top shelf of the bathroom cabinet.

I hate those new razors with their massive heads. Its like shaving with a trowel.

And why the hell would anyone want a razor that vibrates? Soapy razors are hard enough to hold without having them jump around in your hand.

I have this vision of a conference room full of Femmebots in a office at Gillette, sweating it out every 6 months trying to think of the next angle for men's razors.

I just know that we're going to see a razor with a built-in MP3 player; I just know it.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:57 pm

I got the Gillette Fusion. It was 12 euro for it and 6 blades in Tesco, which was cheaper than buying 6 Mach 3 blades for myself. Strange world.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptySat May 03, 2008 9:19 pm

seinfeld wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

A MACH 3!?

Feck that, I've still got my Gillette Sensor (Not Sensor Excel, Sensor). You can't even buy them anymore. I keep it wrapped in moist gauze on the top shelf of the bathroom cabinet.

I hate those new razors with their massive heads. Its like shaving with a trowel.

And why the hell would anyone want a razor that vibrates? Soapy razors are hard enough to hold without having them jump around in your hand.

I have this vision of a conference room full of Femmebots in a office at Gillette, sweating it out every 6 months trying to think of the next angle for men's razors.

I just know that we're going to see a razor with a built-in MP3 player; I just know it.

LOL

I was going to highlight the best bit, but feck it, it's all brilliant.

Still giggling.

(Sorry. I know it's a very serious issue. Neutral )
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Very good seinfeld! Very Happy

I'm with you Audi... I use a Mach 3. Also I use shaving oil, not foam.
The oil I use claims to be made from natural oils.. mostly clove oil I think.
I find I get a better shave with it than soap/foam.
It comes in a really small package too which is great when you are travelling.
Foam is only a racket anyway.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:32 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Very good seinfeld! Very Happy

I'm with you Audi... I use a Mach 3. Also I use shaving oil, not foam.
The oil I use claims to be made from natural oils.. mostly clove oil I think.
I find I get a better shave with it than soap/foam.
It comes in a really small package too which is great when you are travelling.
Foam is only a racket anyway.

Now I wonder if that oil is not a gimmick too? I fell for it because it's a miniature travel-size shaving foam (or claims to be) and you are supposed to get 40 shaves out of a tippex-sized bottle - sounds good in theory but I usually let a lot of stubble grow so I don't think it works with industrial use like that. Plus you cannot wash the rest of your face and your hair with it like you can with a bar of soap.

seinfeld wrote:

If this is the Seinfeld comment you are referring to then it's about time that someone publicly opened up that question of who why where and what next with the mach 3/4/5 etc. and the morality of locking some lads in a room and requiring them to come up with the next big thing in razors or it's food stamps. Already Seinfeld has made a start on obviating this unethical corporate Gulagism by pre-empting possible patents that Gillette or Wilkinson Sword might take out - i.e. a razor with an mp3 player. If there existed a set of patents then those corpos would be forced to just buy them from Machine Nation without imprisoning folks in one of those horrible boardrooms quite high up in a skyscraper - eek - and making them invent more superfluous inanities.

A razor with a light is next, mark my words.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Agree with you on the oil Auditor. I bought some of it because it is good for when you travel with hand baggage. You certainly don't want alot of stubble when you use it though. An interesting dimension is to mix the oil and the foam - shaving heaven!
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:14 pm

I heard that the old razors are making a comeback, the old straight razors. They last forever if you sharpen them so it's better for the environment. I'd love to try one, does anyone know where you'd get one?
Men's stuff 071220sweeney
I'm not homocidal, I swear.

I use a gilette fusion myself, got it for Christmas with a million razor-heads so I don't worry about the cost. I only change the head every month or so anyway. Shaving foam is what I use, and a shaving brush.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:18 pm

A shaving brush, very Belle Époque. You'd want lessons with how to use one of those or you'd end up like his customers did.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:22 pm

True enough about the stubble.. that is a shortcoming of the oil.

Someone gave me an electric beard trimmer thing recently, and I now use that to slash back the stubble before having a proper shave with the oil.

I should mention I only bother shaving now and again. Smile
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 4:24 pm

johnfás wrote:
A shaving brush, very Belle Époque.
Something made of badger hair cannot be feminised by French
Quote :
You'd want lessons with how to use one of those or you'd end up like his customers did.
Practice makes pefect. I have to get one first. And what are a few dead customers when the environment is at risk?
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Do any of you use anti-fatigue eye sticks? They've been in men's toiletries for some time now.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Do any of you use anti-fatigue eye sticks? They've been in men's toiletries for some time now.

L'oreal isn't it? I saw them a while ago in the supermarket. Wouldn't have a notion what they'd do to you so I wouldn't touch them. geek
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:21 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

L'oreal isn't it? I saw them a while ago in the supermarket. Wouldn't have a notion what they'd do to you so I wouldn't touch them. geek

Yep, and there was an ad in Empire magazine about them. They're a bit much and some days I like having my eyes all black and baggy, it makes you look as if you've been working hard! Surely just giving them a rub and sleeping better is preferable? All these new toiletries smack of cosmetic firms trying to up sales from a base of a saturated woman's market. They're trying to squeeze growth from the male market to drive profits growth.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
All these new toiletries smack of cosmetic firms trying to up sales from a base of a saturated woman's market. They're trying to squeeze growth from the male market to drive profits growth.

That's pretty much it, but sure car manufacturers are doing it in reverse. The primary focus of alot of car manufacturers is now the female market.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:33 pm

That oil is a cod - you have to memorize every square inch you have shaved. Foam provides a handy diagram.

My shopping generally comes to about a grand when I decide to do a full sweep on the the toiletries. Aftershave balm, antiperspirant, shave foam, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, blades, shampoo, conditioner, body moisturiser, facial moisturiser, shower gel, soap. That is before I purchase the Armani/JPG/Dior hardcore scents of seduction.

Time for a dirty protest at Tescos?
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:34 pm

johnfás wrote:

That's pretty much it, but sure car manufacturers are doing it in reverse. The primary focus of alot of car manufacturers is now the female market.

Indeed, there's more focus on styles, colour and things like upholstery in cars from the days when suspension, acceleration speeds(0-60 and all that), torque and brake horse-power were key.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:39 pm

The establishment tried (and in many cases succeeded) to turn women into consumers after the second world was to make them profitable and to fool them into thinking their lives are meaningful. They are trying to do the same to men now. The biggest consumers of designer clothes in america are the poor.

Read Susan Faludi's "Stiffed - The Betrayal of the American Man" for supporting arguments.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
The biggest consumers of designer clothes in america are the poor.

I'd conject the same is true here. Though we do of course have the class of tiger cubs who are very bling bling.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:44 pm

johnfás wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
The biggest consumers of designer clothes in america are the poor.

I'd conject the same is true here. Though we do of course have the class of tiger cubs who are very bling bling.

Well, it is to do with status. Truly rich and comfortable people have no need to flaunt their status since they're secure within it, in some cases they are bored by it. Nouveaux riche and socially aspirant, OTOH, over-compensate by purchasing the most expensive commodities.
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Precisely Ard-Taoiseach. Like Warren Buffet living in a fairly average house, a rather extreme example. We had a past pupil in school, who is now rather famous as a philanthropist who made several hundred million. A few of us were chatting to him after he spoke to the school and some were surprised to hear he drove a VW Passat when asked. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:50 pm

johnfás wrote:
Precisely Ard-Taoiseach. Like Warren Buffet living in a fairly average house, a rather extreme example. We had a past pupil in school, who is now rather famous as a philanthropist who made several hundred million. A few of us were chatting to him after he spoke to the school and some were surprised to hear he drove a VW Passat when asked. Very Happy

And Ingvar Kamprad, King of the Flat-Packs, wouldn't go in for all that sort of frippery like anti-fatigue sticks and clarifying lotion and such-like. Spartan living is what he's famous for, even though he's worth about €10 billion!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Men's stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men's stuff   Men's stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Men's stuff
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next