Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. Empty
PostSubject: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 9:51 am

Go to Toolbox

People might post example of their favourite functions in the Toolbox thread in Welcome. Anyone needing to try out those tools can do so here using this thread.

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: The V8 engine   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:39 am

Now you're at the bottom of the site (where the important stuff is)

Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. Home_page_engine2

Click here to go back
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Quote :
On a related issue... My old laptop (very old) opens webpages in the bottom corner of the page and I can't drag them up to see the full page. Any hints? Might be worth pointing out that the last user was rather impatient and thought that clicking 18 times on the internet icon would make an ancient inspiron work faster... All advice appreciated.

Am I in the right spot now?

Can you help, machine?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Is the problem laptop the one you are using right now? I presume it has Internet Explorer and you mean that it opens webpages in groups or something - Bottom of the page doesn't mean a lot to me I'm afraid you'll have to try to explain a bit more.

Have you got a group of browsers open on your taskbar? What Operating System is on the old laptop?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:04 pm

I'm powering up the other one - could take a week.

It does have IE but it opens the pages as full pages that seem to be shifted to the bottom corner of the page - so I can only see one quarter of the page at a time. - can't even see the x to close the page... and it won't let me drag the page to a more central position. It's not minimised - it's the full page just in the wrong place.

(I think No is the answer to the last questions - just one page open - or will be when she warms up).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:09 pm

If you can see any of the File Edit View History etc. buttons at the top then you might be able to reduce the size of the font or something - sounds strange. How old is the pc? Has it got stuff growing on it?

Tell me if you can see the above buttons and you should be able to close the browser with the File button.

Is the screen resolution ok? Should you reduce the screen resolution? If you can take a PRTSCR of the desktop and then paste it to paint, save it to desktop and host it and post it here we'll see better what you're at.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:20 pm

PC is 130 years old - inspiron 1000 for which it is not possible to get batteries any more. The current battery life is 2.3 seconds.
There is nothing growing on it, but it would be useful for Husband to still be able to use it when I'm gone with this (very nice Sony Vaio).

How do I take a PRTSCR of the desktop? (and what do those letters stand for?

I can (well I could if it would open - downloading updates - Grrr) see the file button.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:26 pm

The PRT SCR button should be to the right of the function keys at the top - near F12. When you press that a screenshot gets taken of whatever you can see. It is stored in the clipboard. Open PAINT and either right-click and paste the clipboard there. You should see your browser problem.

Save it as a .jpeg or .png to the desktop. Try that much first.

This yoke is an inspiron 1525. My own is a Tosbhiba. You can't beat the japs for cars and computers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm

My brother swears by Toshiba - says they are great value (because they got it badly wrong in the past?) and great technology.

(where should Paint be - I never use it - I'm a word processor)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Paint is usually under All Programs>Accessories>Paint (?) or you could do a search for it. I think it might be called MSpaint but you could use the wildcard *paint*.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Got it, thanks -working on it, very, very slow machine...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:53 pm

All going well - except that now that I've MN open, I can't scroll down far enough to post the thing because that part of the page is below the screen and the edit button - which would allow me to post it on another post - is gone off the right hand side of the page.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Sounds like the screen settings are screwed up.

What is the screen resolution set to. (right click on desktop - settings tab) ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:06 pm

Or the font or text on the browser is too large ... ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:10 pm

What then, EVM - sorry about this - I feel like a right twit.

Font is normal, Audi.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 pm

Right click desktop
Click Properties
Click Settings

You'll see that it says Screen Resolution and you can change it to be 'less' or 'more'. To be able to see things more on a screen you generally want to change it to more. But you can always play around and change it back to how it was anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Woohoo! Thanks.

Actually No.

I set it and it looked like it was about to open in the right spot - on the full page. But then it moved to the bottom right again.

I have two monitors apparently.

The primary display is Plug and Play Monitor on SiS M650 - that's at max more but I can move that to less.

The default one can't move from less to more...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:28 pm

The default one, is probably the output that you would plug a projector into. What you view on your laptop screen is the Plug and Play monitor - but it is already at max seemingly.

I'll hand back over to the others, apologies I'm not a techno head, that was the only thing I could help with!

Dell do have good customer support though for talking you through fixing things over the phone. I've used them a few times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Dell are good, in fairness to them, but I thought it was a small thing that arose when Husband opened the thing 18 times. No idea how he'd have changed the resolution. He has to ring me usually to talk him through turning on the thing! Clearly it's a case of the blind leading the blinder.

Thanks for your help, Johnfás.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Sometimes my internet explorer has done odd things like been minimised when I have opened it. What I have done is dragged it up the screen, resized it (not pressed the maximise button) and then closed it and re-opened. It then kept the size and characteristics of when I closed it.

Another option might be to install firefox and use it instead, if it is only internet explorer that has the difficulty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:39 pm

I've applied the new settings and restarted the computer... enjoy your toast and I'll let you know how it goes... Rolling Eyes Lord but it's slow.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Sounds like that laptop may be more useful as a sandwich flattener.

Sellotape sandwich to screen- close laptop - stand on laptop - retrieve and enjoy flattened sandwich.

There are many other cool uses for laptops. See if you can think up one of your own while you're waiting for it to boot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:28 pm

I need to get some old stuff off it, if nothing else.

Anyway. No joy on reboot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Could you plug another monitor into it? Any joy with the screen print? Can you tell us the current plug and play monitor settings on your computer? The suspense is killing me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Don't have another monitor.

Screen print? I did it but can't post it because of reasons mentioned above - would appreciate further advice on that, Audi if you have any ideas.

What do you mean by current plug and play settings?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.   Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox. Empty

Back to top Go down

Thread for testing out stuff you might learn in the Toolbox.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next