Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Swallows are back

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:54 am

I saw a swallow the other day, but there's a bunch of them outside my window now. It's official: summer's here!

Other evidence includes impending exams for which I have no inclination to study for, and the lawnmower's broken down, as it always does this time of year.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:56 am

I can hear birds chirping in the trees all around the garden. Don't think I'll be going back to the library to study for a while!
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:06 pm

johnfás wrote:
I can hear birds chirping in the trees all around the garden. Don't think I'll be going back to the library to study for a while!

Ah, but are they swallows? They have the most annoying twitter in the world but it's great to hear in the morning.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:11 pm

I know what you mean about the lawnmower. It takes one look at the upward surging spring growth, and chokes.

A lot of twittering going on around here, too, and the solitary adolescent swan turned up with a mate yesterday.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:30 pm

I've seen a robin, thrush, a bluetit and some pigeons over the last few minutes. I can hear a swallow.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:35 pm

905 wrote:
I saw a swallow the other day, but there's a bunch of them outside my window now. It's official: summer's here!

Other evidence includes impending exams for which I have no inclination to study for, and the lawnmower's broken down, as it always does this time of year.

They've appeared around here too. Last year, I had 2 nests in an old shed, but I fixed the window on the shed so now they're going to have to find somewhere else. Hope they're not too annoyed.

Grass cut once so far. Now begins 6 months of frustration in which it will always be raining when I have time to cut the grass and always be sunny when I don't.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:37 pm

I'll post some bird sounds from the garden in a few minutes. Unfortunately just after I recorded it they all started up - not bothered hanging out my window again!
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:37 pm

905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Some sideways garden noises
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks for that johnfás.

Strange to think that they are little dinosaurs flying around isn't it?

Swallows are back Archeopteryx
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:03 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Thanks for that johnfás.

Strange to think that they are little dinosaurs flying around isn't it?

Watching the seagulls perched flapping on the chimneys always gives me the strongest feeling for that particular link.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:04 pm

riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......
Hence the bunch of them making it official. Rolling Eyes
Someone's not up to speed today.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:09 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......

I am but I thought factually accuracy could be expended for the sake of a joke.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:22 pm

riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......

You thought... well listen here Sonny Jim, next time I explicitly pre-empt a joke you pay attention, you hear?

Swallows are a serious business.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:25 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......

You thought... well listen here Sonny Jim, next time I explicitly pre-empt a joke you pay attention, you hear?

...said Ms Lewinsky.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
905 wrote:

Sure one swallow......

...said Ms Lewinsky.

She didn't, did she?

(Swallow I mean, not say that).
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:

...said Ms Lewinsky.
Mad Mad

Last edited by 905 on Fri May 02, 2008 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:30 pm

Off topic, 905 and Riadach. To the pound with you both...
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Says the woman who came up with dinosaurs!
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:35 pm

cactus flower wrote:

But Ibis did it first miss.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:51 pm

If swallows are dinosaurs, how come they are not extinct ? Or are they like the second generation dinos or something.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:54 pm

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

But Ibis did it first miss.

I'm better at it, though.

Quote :
If swallows are dinosaurs, how come they are not extinct ? Or are they like the second generation dinos or something.

The latter...they're the dinosaurs' descendants, heavily modified, upgraded, and shrunk.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:10 pm

And you too Ibis. In the corner.

Quote :

They just evolved from their dino-bird forefathers. And I suppose that they flew away from what ever killed off the other dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:21 pm

cactus flower wrote:

Quote :

They just evolved from their dino-bird forefathers. And I suppose that they flew away from what ever killed off the other dinosaurs.

Or they were small enough so that the catastrophic events which caused the dinosaur extinction had no impact upon them. I'm inclined to think it was a size thing, as smaller animals such as mammals and smaller reptiles seemed to have survive, whereas the larger animals died off.

That said I have no expertise on the matter other than I bought 1-37 of the dinosaur magazines when I was 11-12.
Back to top Go down

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:53 pm

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Quote :

Or they were small enough so that the catastrophic events which caused the dinosaur extinction had no impact upon them. I'm inclined to think it was a size thing, as smaller animals such as mammals and smaller reptiles seemed to have survive, whereas the larger animals died off.

That said I have no expertise on the matter other than I bought 1-37 of the dinosaur magazines when I was 11-12.

More of a lineage thing, I think. Birds are avian dinosaurs, and the non-avian dinosaur lineages died out. However, the crocodiles sailed through unscathed and unchanged.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swallows are back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallows are back   Swallows are back Empty

Back to top Go down

Swallows are back
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next