Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Of course you missed me!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Of course you missed me! Empty
PostSubject: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi all, apologies for my absence for the last while, I went on holidays in September and since I've been back I haven't really gotten into as many discussions as I would have liked on any of the forums I'm in (though a resurgence in debate on Lisbon over on P.ie has caught my eye). I'm finally settled into college and living in Dublin full time (on a very dodgy street, mind, and I'm not at all looking forward to the next week) so hopefully I'll be able to contribute more over the next while.

Because I'm studying a bit more this year, hopefully I'll be able to bring that to the forum. People tend to think that land law is one of the more boring and tedious areas of law, but while I've only just started studying the subject it actually seems quite interesting. I think what appeals to me is the fact that the reality of property rights is so far from the public perception, and that society is held together by something so abstract. Administrative law has become the bane of my life, it really is an awful subject. That said, it can be quite relevant and I saw a thread somewhere on judicial review and wouldn't mind putting my two cents in some time. Contract law is good for discussion because contract disputes tend to be simple yet contentious. And I haven't really started EU law yet but obviously I'm looking forward to it and obviously it's going to be quite relevant.

That's about it from me. I still haven't joined a party, and it's still a toss-up really between FF and Lab. But to be honest I'm in no rush.

Perhaps this thread could be stickied and/or used by posters to announce their return; it seems like there could be a market for such a thread on this site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Law? Yourself and johnfás will have plenty to talk about then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Welcome back cheers (whoever you are)

Land law ? You must be rivetted to your seat every lecture Wink

I'll make a good permanent link to a thread like this alright so - we need a link or two to a sign in thread although I'm waiting for the tea thread to end at the 40 pages before we start a new one. Any ideas for a nice little welcome link where people can feel at ease posting for the first time ? Some people are so shy they consider posting on the internet the equivalent of public speaking Laughing

Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

I'll make a good permanent link to a thread like this alright so - we need a link or two to a sign in thread although I'm waiting for the tea thread to end at the 40 pages before we start a new one. Any ideas for a nice little welcome link where people can feel at ease posting for the first time ? Some people are so shy they consider posting on the internet the equivalent of public speaking Laughing

Neutral

How about it being entitled The Maiden Speech thread?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Neutral

Yeah that should ease them into it alright

not
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Yes evercloserunion: we did miss you. Good to have you back. People come and go and one might wonder if they are alive and well, but as you say, people pop back up again with interesting stories of where they have been.

How about a little teapot logo for the signing in thread Auditor #9? Or a little open note book?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Yes evercloserunion: we did miss you. Good to have you back. People come and go and one might wonder if they are alive and well, but as you say, people pop back up again with interesting stories of where they have been.

How about a little teapot logo for the signing in thread Auditor #9? Or a little open note book?

I think its good to have a time to reflect and leave off for a while. As far as the ordinary joe soap is concerned we all spout mainly bullshit most of the time and then just one day for one moment just one of us gets its totally right. But definitely being on a forum here or politics.ie is a great learning experience for me.

Cactus, you are one of the best posters here. You should get a better avatar. Same with Kate P and Aragon. I think Ard Taoiseachs is the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Neutral

not

Oh yes it would! It gets much easier after you've made the first foray into discussion!

@Respvblica, thanks for your kind remarks about my avatar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:19 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Neutral

not

Oh yes it would! It gets much easier after you've made the first foray into discussion!

@Respvblica, thanks for your kind remarks about my avatar.

Ah you cant beat the old dark lord of the sith! Fair dues for taking it,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Respvblica wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I think its good to have a time to reflect and leave off for a while. As far as the ordinary joe soap is concerned we all spout mainly bullshit most of the time and then just one day for one moment just one of us gets its totally right. But definitely being on a forum here or politics.ie is a great learning experience for me.

Cactus, you are one of the best posters here. You should get a better avatar. Same with Kate P and Aragon. I think Ard Taoiseachs is the best.

Thanks Respvblica. My avatar is not elegant or witty, like Ard-Taoiseach's, but it has some history. I was once a poster on P.ie where there were only national flags or political parties for avatars. I chose the flag of the white flower of Macao because it was nearest to a cactus flower, and the background is green. When I came here, somebody kindly stole it for me from P.ie. and brought it back here across the blogosphere Very Happy I like your new avatar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 10:36 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Respvblica wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Thanks Respvblica. My avatar is not elegant or witty, like Ard-Taoiseach's, but it has some history. I was once a poster on P.ie where there were only national flags or political parties for avatars. I chose the flag of the white flower of Macao because it was nearest to a cactus flower, and the background is green. When I came here, somebody kindly stole it for me from P.ie. and brought it back here across the blogosphere Very Happy I like your new avatar.

I like it now that there is a story behind it.
As for me I always change. I'll try and stick with the one I have now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 am

Is that Paul Weller, Res? I believe he has a terrific new album out - a seriously cool guy.

I don't do avatars though and won't until I can decide on one that I'll be happy to be associated with.

Re Ard's avatar, I'm afraid I'm going to take some of the credit for that. There was a time when he doffed his dark materials for something less interesting and to be honest, considerably less memorable and I was an enthusiastic activist on the campaign to get him to bring back Darth. I can't imagine him any other way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:49 am

Kate P wrote:
Is that Paul Weller, Res? I believe he has a terrific new album out - a seriously cool guy.

I don't do avatars though and won't until I can decide on one that I'll be happy to be associated with.

Re Ard's avatar, I'm afraid I'm going to take some of the credit for that. There was a time when he doffed his dark materials for something less interesting and to be honest, considerably less memorable and I was an enthusiastic activist on the campaign to get him to bring back Darth. I can't imagine him any other way.

I could put Paul Weller as I love the Jam and his solo stuff(not style council so much). Its actually John Lennon circa 1966 in a moddish phase, before he became "despisable" hippy" a year later. Despisable in style and looks only though.

Great work Kate in work in getting Ard to bring back Darth and the Galactic Empire. Whenever I see someone getting angry on the forum I remember the evil emperors words to Luke in the Death Star.

"Good I can feel your anger. Anger leads to the dark side. With every passing moment you make yourself my disciple (cackle)".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 am

Respvblica wrote:
Kate P wrote:

I could put Paul Weller as I love the Jam and his solo stuff(not style council so much). Its actually John Lennon circa 1966 in a moddish phase, before he became "despisable" hippy" a year later. Despisable in style and looks only though.

Great work Kate in work in getting Ard to bring back Darth and the Galactic Empire. Whenever I see someone getting angry on the forum I remember the evil emperors words to Luke in the Death Star.

"Good I can feel your anger. Anger leads to the dark side. With every passing moment you make yourself my disciple (cackle)".

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:01 am

Ah. I can see that now.

The Style Council years were good enough - Ever had it blue? Shout to the top! He's one of those few guys who get better and better with age.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:26 am

Kate P wrote:
Ah. I can see that now.

The Style Council years were good enough - Ever had it blue? Shout to the top! He's one of those few guys who get better and better with age.

I love the old Jam stuff the best- - Modern World, News of the World. I even thought higher of David Cameron chose Eton Rifles as his favourite tune.
" sup up your beer and collect your fags theres a row going on down near slough..."
Great stuff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Where are you doing your law, evercloserunion?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Respvblica wrote:
Kate P wrote:

I remember Kate P was quite(and rightfully so) insistent on me returning to Darth Vader. It was during the summer and I felt like trying out a lighter look. However, this look is the one which suits me better.

I do love that quote Respvblica and I do love the Galactic Empire in Star Wars. They're way better than that insufferable Rebel Alliance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 pm

I have gone through alot of avatars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:23 pm

johnfás wrote:

Maybe time to move on again johnfás... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 pm

You don't like 'Monarch with Umbrella'? I think it is rather quaint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:25 pm

johnfás wrote:

And the current one is the Queen of England, isn't it johnfás. She is in Hibernian blue so it's alright *cough* West-Brit *cough*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi folks. I know I haven't been around long but of course ye all missed me while I had my Galway Clinic experience.
Feeling a bit sore and cranky at the moment but hoping to be back on full throttle soon with a thread comparing/contrasting public and private healthcare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:44 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
Hi folks. I know I haven't been around long but of course ye all missed me while I had my Galway Clinic experience.
Feeling a bit sore and cranky at the moment but hoping to be back on full throttle soon with a thread comparing/contrasting public and private healthcare.

Glad to see you back floatingingalway. Very Happy Are you still floating in a happy haze of hospital-issued opiates? Did it all go well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 pm

All went well. Unfortunately the opiates have worn off now but I am feeling better than I anticipated.
Food shite in clinic by the way. Two slices of ham on a bed of shredded iceberg and sweetcorn, one slice of bread and a slice of tart as wide as my thumb (no joke). I had to go down to a vending machine to supplement my diet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! Empty

Back to top Go down

Of course you missed me!
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next