Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish Place Names Commission - What?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:
cactus flower you're a woman... it never occured even with that name... carry on. Smile

You missed the "Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With" thread then lostexpectation?

You are forgiven, as going by the statistical odds in fora you would have been right. I used to think Soubresauts was a fella, and was convinced NDS was a rather strict senior female civil servant.

I always thought soubresauts was male as well. Mind you, MN has what may well be the highest proportion of female posters on any forum (bar Mumsnet etc).

I notice we even invade the only sports thread. This may not be good for the male karma. I would not be averse to a Men's Hut thread provided that Site Policy still prevails inside it.

Meh, sports.

Last edited by ibis on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
ibis wrote:
Isn't the hill near Leenane called the Devil's Testicles always shown on maps as the Devil's Grandmother?

Testicles, Grandmothers, same difference.

Wrinkly, hairy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 6:38 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
... I used to think Soubresauts was a fella, and was convinced NDS was a rather strict senior female civil servant.

I always thought soubresauts was male as well. Mind you, MN has what may well be the highest proportion of female posters on any forum (bar Mumsnet etc).
Hold on a minute there! Now let's get this straight. Here I stand, naked and unashamed, and assert that I am a proud male member of the unofficial Bjork fan club. And if I had found a pic of Bush before Bjork... (One of these would have done.)

Anyway, as long as we don't have the carry-on of another website where you see people addressing all & sundry as "Lads"...

Now I've forgotten what I was going to say about Irish place-names.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm

soubresauts wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
... I used to think Soubresauts was a fella, and was convinced NDS was a rather strict senior female civil servant.

Hold on a minute there! Now let's get this straight. Here I stand, naked and unashamed, and assert that I am a proud male member of the unofficial Bjork fan club. And if I had found a pic of Bush before Bjork... (One of these would have done.)

Anyway, as long as we don't have the carry-on of another website where you see people addressing all & sundry as "Lads"...

What have you started, lostexpectation. Identities are unravelling all over the place. Will Kate P turn out to be a burly Garda officer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Apologies to Soubresauts and to Bjork. We are all well off topic, and in danger of breaching the outing ethos as well. Shocked

Comments on Irish placenames only here please. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Apologies to Soubresauts and to Bjork. We are all well off topic, and in danger of breaching the outing ethos as well. Shocked

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the correct name for soubresauts house, then, is actually "house of the man" not "house of the woman"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:00 pm

ibis wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the correct name for soubresauts house, then, is actually "house of the man" not "house of the woman"?
Now, now, ibis, we don't expect you to be incoherent.

What are you on about? Anything to do with place-names?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:04 pm

soubresauts wrote:
ibis wrote:
Now, now, ibis, we don't expect you to be incoherent.

What are you on about? Anything to do with place-names?

I'd have put the question in Irish, but my Irish in non-existent (as in really non-existent)!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:25 pm

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
ibis wrote:
Isn't the hill near Leenane called the Devil's Testicles always shown on maps as the Devil's Grandmother?

Testicles, Grandmothers, same difference.

Wrinkly, hairy?

Exactly, riadach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 pm

cactus flower wrote:
soubresauts wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

What have you started, lostexpectation. Identities are unravelling all over the place. Will Kate P turn out to be a burly Garda officer?
I can verify that I'm a female (and not a large, hairy gay man), living in an area for which I don't know the Irish name. There are ongoing disputes about the origins of the names of the areas where I grew up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:25 am

Can this thread be any more off-topic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:28 am

cactus flower wrote:

Errrhem!! As I said before...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:48 am

so what does the place names commission do? are thet supposed to look up the irish origin of names or is it just more window dressing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:50 am

I think they tell us what we can call our towns and other places, and they decide what the Irish version is. Some of the versions I think are a bit funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:54 am

Here's the govt spiel on the whole placename business

There's lots of PDFs there on the subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:56 am

thanks, that looks useful
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:59 am

irishbeergirl wrote:
thanks, that looks useful

You're very welcome, irishbeergirl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I tried to make my comment relevant. There are two quite different versions of the area name on street signs. One is Tir an Iúir (the land of the yew) and the other is Tir Fionnabhair (not sure of the translation for that one). Different versions used on street signs at opposite end of the same street.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:26 am

What's the English?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:38 am

TheBear wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I tried to make my comment relevant. There are two quite different versions of the area name on street signs. One is Tir an Iúir (the land of the yew) and the other is Tir Fionnabhair (not sure of the translation for that one). Different versions used on street signs at opposite end of the same street.

That reminds me of looking for Kittygollahar in Wicklow. Turned out that people living there called it various names, the closest approach to what was on the map being Kattygallagher.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:42 am

Not Kitty Gallagher?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 am

TheBear wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Tir an Iúir is your man. Tir Fionnabhair means the land of Fionnbar with an unnecessary epenthetic vowel or the land of the blonde subject. Either way they should both be aspirated which doesn't really matter sayin its complete ballsology. Probably a street name from a bored fifties signwriter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm

cactus flower wrote:
What's the English?
Terenure. Depending on the accent, the Irish names can sound practically the same.

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
TheBear wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I tried to make my comment relevant. There are two quite different
versions of the area name on street signs. One is Tir an Iúir (the land
of the yew) and the other is Tir Fionnabhair (not sure of the
translation for that one). Different versions used on street signs at
opposite end of the same street.
Tir an Iúir is your man. Tir Fionnabhair means the land of Fionnbar with an
unnecessary epenthetic vowel or the land of the blonde subject. Either
way they should both be aspirated which doesn't really matter sayin its
complete ballsology. Probably a street name from a bored fifties
signwriter.
Yeah, Tir an Iúir is what we were always told in school, and it's what was on the post office, but the road that the post office was on (it's now closed) has the alternate spelling.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a yew tree in the area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Place Names Commission - What?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2