Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish Place Names Commission - What?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Irish Place Names Commission - What? Empty
PostSubject: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Just catching up with Friday's Times and page 2 tells me that in 2003 the Irish Place Names Commission renamed "Dún an Bleisce" (Fort of the Harlot) "Dún". It has taken the inhabitants a five year battle to regain their "Bleisce" - more than 1,000 signed a petition.

I recently enquired of the Commission whether their Irish take on the name Coolcotts. I was told it was directly translated as Cold Cottages. confused

What???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 am

As a matter of interest, what is the Irish version of Coolcotts shown on street names, etc?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:15 am

DeGaulle wrote:
As a matter of interest, what is the Irish version of Coolcotts shown on street names, etc?

Couldn't find one - thats why I went to the IPNC.

The cool I am presuming is Irish- the cotts may be a name? there is a Kats strand in Wexford not to far away? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:55 am

Cúl means back or rear in Irish but I can't come up with a suitable translation. If there is a strand called Kats nearby then possibly it could be translated as "Back of Kats Strand" or "Behind Kats Strand", but local knowledge would be required.

Perhaps the IPNC are saying that there never was an Irish name for the area and that Coolcotts is a corrupted version of the English name "Cold Cottages"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:57 am

Quote :
Perhaps the IPNC are saying that there never was an Irish name for the area and that Coolcotts is a corrupted version of the English name "Cold Cottages"?

That is precisely what I found so funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:31 am

I believe that there's a place called Ballahack or somesuch that translates into Baile na Các which is the Town of the Excrement. How about that for a des res!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:59 am

There a number of place names in Ireland that really do not bear repeating. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 am

cactus flower wrote:
There a number of place names in Ireland that really do not bear repeating. Embarassed

Definitely, perhaps they were given as a joke and now, for some strange reason, have stuck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:12 am

I know of an area that has 'cott' in it, but the story goes that it's a reference to a boat that was owned by a man who lived there, near the canal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:22 am

I like the cot connection, indeed I am a cotswoman of some repute myself. Unfortunately this place is up a hill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:26 am

Isn't the hill near Leenane called the Devil's Testicles always shown on maps as the Devil's Grandmother?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:27 am

ibis wrote:
Isn't the hill near Leenane called the Devil's Testicles always shown on maps as the Devil's Grandmother?

Testicles, Grandmothers, same difference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:31 am

I know a hill in Wales called Twll Ddu n'y Mwnki
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:32 am

cactus flower wrote:
I know a hill in Wales called Twll Ddu n'y Mwnki

And does that mean the same as the Devil's testicles?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 am

Something anatomical about a monkey. One might say - we are all going for a walk up the monkey's..etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:39 am

cactus flower wrote:
Something anatomical about a monkey. One might say - we are all going for a walk up the monkey's..etc.

Right. And then there's places like Nobber and Muff whose road-signs are being continually stolen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 2:47 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
ibis wrote:

Testicles, Grandmothers, same difference.

Only if your grandmothers are knackers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:27 am

How PC is this ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:35 am

In an Irish lecture a few weeks back, we were given the Irish version of a couple of towns' names.... They were all rendered as -
Baile na mBocht (lit. Town of the Poor)
Needless to say, the English didn't quite match up Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 am

cactus flower you're a woman... it never occured even with that name... carry on. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:17 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Right. And then there's places like Nobber and Muff whose road-signs are being continually stolen.

Did you know that there is a Muff Crescent as you go into Nobber?

What were they thinkin'?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 am

One of the littlest villages I saw in Bavaria last year

Irish Place Names Commission - What? Simg0023
Sorry it's a bit off topic/nation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:54 am

lostexpectation wrote:
cactus flower you're a woman... it never occured even with that name... carry on. Smile

You missed the "Things Wimmin Have to Put Up With" thread then lostexpectation?

You are forgiven, as going by the statistical odds in fora you would have been right. I used to think Soubresauts was a fella, and was convinced NDS was a rather strict senior female civil servant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:29 pm

cactus flower wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:

You are forgiven, as going by the statistical odds in fora you would have been right. I used to think Soubresauts was a fella, and was convinced NDS was a rather strict senior female civil servant.

I always thought soubresauts was male as well. Mind you, MN has what may well be the highest proportion of female posters on any forum (bar Mumsnet etc).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:47 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:

I always thought soubresauts was male as well. Mind you, MN has what may well be the highest proportion of female posters on any forum (bar Mumsnet etc).

I notice we even invade the only sports thread. This may not be good for the male karma. I would not be averse to a Men's Hut thread provided that Site Policy still prevails inside it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish Place Names Commission - What?   Irish Place Names Commission - What? Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Place Names Commission - What?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next