Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish Empty
PostSubject: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:01 pm

I mentioned this ad on the Irish forum and it (and Carlesberg) got a bad reception. Personally I quite like it. It illustrates that, even though they may not be fluent, they still use the language as the primary mark of Irishness.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 pm

I was just thinking about this today too. It's funny ! It's true as well. That's exactly the type of irish we come out with when we're away - I've done it anyway. And it's almost an irish in-joke too isn't it when you are telling your tales about Americans asking you to speak Irish..

"I started telling them about how the people at home feel about George Bush. I went

D'eirigh me ar a hocht a chlog. Nigh mé mo aghaidh agus George Bush. Duirt mé mo paidreacha san Aerfort Sionnán.

Dith mé ...

The likes of the Carlsberg ad brings some fun back into the language.
Back to top Go down
https://machinenation.forumakers.com

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:25 pm

The carleberg ad accurately nails the place of Irish in our psyche. The protagonists just come out with catchphrases which are meaningless but which we can use to confer some distinction between us and other Anglophone nations.. it reduces Irish to the status of Latin, good for phrases, but that’s it. The irony being that Latin quotes tend to be relevant to the conversation whereas these guys are just coming out with gibberish, which their audience fawns at…
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:34 pm

I dont like that ad whatsoever. Not sure why though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:20 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Would it be the creepy barman?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 2:35 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Could be seen as patronising to poor silly Yanks I suppose, and to ourselves for making a holy show of ourselves.

Still, I predict that we'll all be speaking a good bit of Irish every day in ten years time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 am

Ah 905, as I said in a previous epoch its paddywhackery of the semi-modernist nature. It dont go the 'hole hog
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 am

cactus flower they were south american yanks which is worse !! at least i think they were south american yanks. I liked it as an ad. Anyone have it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 am

Instantly confused and interesred when first viewed and surprsised by Irish content. Wanted to see again. Good idea for the first two viewings. From there to fore: Grinding rabbit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 4:18 am

Here it is
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 5:58 am

rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit rabbit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:20 pm

bhi me ag dul an iascareacht
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish   The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish Empty

Back to top Go down

The Carlesberg ad with all the Irish
Page 1 of 1