Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

It's just a funny thread for funny things.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Coincidentally found Seathrún's story just now browsing the RTE site. Here it is, in case, like me, you did not click on the link Seathrún posted above.

6 & 7-year-olds caught trying to elope

Monday, 5 January 2009 17:43

Two childhood sweethearts, aged six and seven, eloped from Hanover in northern Germany on New Year's Eve, determined to tie the knot under the African sun.

Police said identified the pair as Mika and Anna-Lena and said they 'are very much in love and decided to get married in Africa where it is warm, taking with them as a witness Anna-Lena's little sister, aged five.'

The idea for the romantic trip began when Mika told the two girls about his recent holiday in Italy, while their families celebrated New Year's Eve together.

As the first dawn of 2009 broke, the trio started to put these plans into action, packing all the essentials for the journey, including 'sunglasses, swimming trunks, a lilo, summer clothes and provisions.'
While their parents slept, they left their house in the suburbs of Hanover, walked a kilometre up the road to a tram stop from where they took a tram for the central station.

Waiting for a train to the airport, they aroused the attention of a guard who contacted police.

Two officers managed to convince them that they would struggle to get to Africa without money or a plane ticket.

As a consolation, the children were given a special tour of the police headquarters at Hanover station where they were especially taken with the detention cells.

Their relieved parents picked them up from the station, the spokesman said, adding: 'They can still put their plan into action at a later date.'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Helium Three wrote:
Coincidentally found Seathrún's story just now browsing the RTE site. Here it is, in case, like me, you did not click on the link Seathrún posted above.

Two childhood sweethearts, aged six and seven, eloped from Hanover in northern Germany on New Year's Eve, determined to tie the knot under the African sun.

Police said identified the pair as Mika and Anna-Lena and said they 'are very much in love and decided to get married in Africa where it is warm, taking with them as a witness Anna-Lena's little sister, aged five.'

The idea for the romantic trip began when Mika told the two girls about his recent holiday in Italy, while their families celebrated New Year's Eve together.

As the first dawn of 2009 broke, the trio started to put these plans into action, packing all the essentials for the journey, including 'sunglasses, swimming trunks, a lilo, summer clothes and provisions.'
While their parents slept, they left their house in the suburbs of Hanover, walked a kilometre up the road to a tram stop from where they took a tram for the central station.

Waiting for a train to the airport, they aroused the attention of a guard who contacted police.

Two officers managed to convince them that they would struggle to get to Africa without money or a plane ticket.

As a consolation, the children were given a special tour of the police headquarters at Hanover station where they were especially taken with the detention cells.

Their relieved parents picked them up from the station, the spokesman said, adding: 'They can still put their plan into action at a later date.'

The lilo is a nice touch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Yes and bringing along a witness was brilliant.

Maybe there is something to be said for the surveillance society after all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 pm

I quite like This one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Helium Three wrote:

I hope they didn't have their present list with Adams
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 am

Watch out...it looks like The Rise of the Tots

US six year old drives 10 km to try to get to school on time...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Exclamation Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Exclamation Shocked

You see, this is the kind of "can do" attitude that will save America.
Give that kid a medal.
Hell, give him a job.... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 2:39 pm

I feel like this from time to time...

It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 Tarsier
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:15 pm

And one from the completely mad bag:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

don't know whether this should go in the "anglo director resigns" thread, the "Dell vote of no confidence in the republic" thread but thought this would be most appropriate. Sad

Begg fury over 'grandiose' Mannion deal
Friday, 9 January 2009 11:59

RTE News

Aer Lingus board member David Begg has said he feels personally betrayed by what he called the 'grandiose parachute scheme' set up for chief executive Dermot Mannion.

It emerged in recent days that Mr Mannion could be entitled to a payment of up to €2.8m if he chose to leave following a change of control at the airline. This would apply even if the new management were happy for him to continue in his role.

Mr Begg said he certainly had not approved the arrangement, and nor did any other member of the board. He said the board's permission was not sought at any time.

Mr Begg, who is also general secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, said it made him 'absolutely mad' that this was happening at a time when he was actively involved in trying to save jobs in Aer Lingus and secure a restructuring that would enable the company to be viable in the future.

Ryanair, which owns almost 29% of the company and is currently engaged in a takeover bid, has requisitioned an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders to discuss the issue.

Mr Begg was speaking as he arrived at Government Buildings to meet the Taoiseach for talks on the economic crisis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 6:04 pm

ibis wrote:

This had me in stitches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 6:14 pm

zakalwe wrote:
don't know whether this should go in the "anglo director resigns" thread, the "Dell vote of no confidence in the republic" thread but thought this would be most appropriate. Sad

Begg fury over 'grandiose' Mannion deal
Friday, 9 January 2009 11:59

RTE News

Aer Lingus board member David Begg has said he feels personally betrayed by what he called the 'grandiose parachute scheme' set up for chief executive Dermot Mannion.

It emerged in recent days that Mr Mannion could be entitled to a payment of up to €2.8m if he chose to leave following a change of control at the airline. This would apply even if the new management were happy for him to continue in his role.

Mr Begg said he certainly had not approved the arrangement, and nor did any other member of the board. He said the board's permission was not sought at any time.

Mr Begg, who is also general secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, said it made him 'absolutely mad' that this was happening at a time when he was actively involved in trying to save jobs in Aer Lingus and secure a restructuring that would enable the company to be viable in the future.

Ryanair, which owns almost 29% of the company and is currently engaged in a takeover bid, has requisitioned an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders to discuss the issue.

Mr Begg was speaking as he arrived at Government Buildings to meet the Taoiseach for talks on the economic crisis.

You have a very dark sense of humour indeed. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 pm

ibis wrote:
And one from the completely mad bag:

Look at them there...meltin' the hardest of hearts.......but they're plotting, plotting against us....those black babygros..... Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Respvblica wrote:
ibis wrote:

This had me in stitches.

It actually made me laugh until I cried. I have absolutely no idea why that should be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:25 pm

ibis wrote:
Respvblica wrote:
ibis wrote:

This had me in stitches.

It actually made me laugh until I cried. I have absolutely no idea why that should be.

UNIX has the same effect on me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 3:56 am

Here's a little bit of poetry from Dan Eggs. He's only on the web this last while but has been doing the rounds for years.

A very funny man but not quite to everybody's taste. He has a fantastic poem called Máirtín which I will post here if I can ever find it...

.....but in the meantime....take it away Dan

Electric Tin Opener

and here he is on the Kelly show from many moons ago
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Here's a little bit of poetry from Dan Eggs. He's only on the web this last while but has been doing the rounds for years.

A very funny man but not quite to everybody's taste. He has a fantastic poem called Máirtín which I will post here if I can ever find it...

.....but in the meantime....take it away Dan

Electric Tin Opener

and here he is on the Kelly show from many moons ago

And in 'Me and Martín Marching' he mentions Martín's 'machinations' marching to his Mother's Maisonette in Myrtlefield.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 am

Here's a quick 15 second blast from our literary hero

Dan Eggs - Coughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 am

Came across this one, it is a bit slow to start but you have to read page one to set the context. Page 2 appealed to my sense of humour.

Wanco and the stray dog that lurks in his garage, enjoy!

http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=184051
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:36 am

Squire wrote:
Came across this one, it is a bit slow to start but you have to read page one to set the context. Page 2 appealed to my sense of humour.

Well that was a tonic - I lol'd all the way through it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Squire wrote:

Well that was a tonic - I lol'd all the way through it.

Glad you liked it. There is a nice naive and pathetic quality about it. Page 1 sets the scene nicely. Page 2 was unexpected. When I read; He tried to get away by burrowing under the fence ^. Managed to get hold of him, and he's now locked up safely in the garage 'til morning. Some good shots there, maybe worth sticking up in the photo-section. I was in tears. I could just picture it! The dog must have been as shocked as I was!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Very convincing faux innocence or genuine ?? A friendly looking board too and I loved the 'rankings'. Squire you're another megabyte poster here on this board - congratulations !

Worth a read if anyone hasn't already done so.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Probably a send up but it is a class one and I have a horrible feeling it may be real. I mean who drives a Corsa! Judging by the posts there was not a lot spent on the education of those posting. Sad really but I could well picture it, phoning the RSPCA etc. Wanco certainly brightened my day. Reminds me of a gentleman who decided to clean out his petrol tank thoroughly with a vacuum cleaner.

What over a thousand posts, well I never.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's just a funny thread for funny things.   It's just a funny thread for funny things. - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's just a funny thread for funny things.
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next