Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Full Moon Rising

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Its a 99% full moon tonight. There seems to be some evidence that a full moon affects behaviour. Anyone planning anything loony?

geek
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Yup.

Full Moon Rising Wolf-Moon
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Anyone live by the sea? I would imagine the tides are fairly wild.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Quote :
Anyone live by the sea? I would imagine the tides are fairly wild.

I usually live by the tidal Shannon but as you can see from our faithful map I've moved to Kerry. I'll go and have a look at the wave potential of today's tide later

Full Moon Rising Temp11
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Watch the stock market. The last time of a really big fall, was also a full moon.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:57 pm

TGOC wrote:
Watch the stock market. The last time of a really big fall, was also a full moon.

We do - everyday ! But I think it's no point looking at the ISEQ anymore as the ISE moved the goalposts recently - or they made them twice as far apart. The little ticker going up and down is the sound of penny sweets getting moved around between the Suits at the moment. Soon it'll be time to close the shop though.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 6:58 pm

That map had me in the Midlands for a while when I was nowhere near. How do you find it these day? Used to be on the Portal.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Its a 99% full moon tonight. There seems to be some evidence that a full moon affects behaviour. Anyone planning anything loony?

geek

I'm curious about the "99%" cactus. I mean, surely the moon has to get to 100% before it starts to wane again?

edit: my biodynamic gardening calendar says the moon is in aries, and reaches full at 6am tomorrow morning. Also that it's a good day for cutting christmas trees that need to be transported a long distance. so there!
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Why do we have the Christmas lights on in early November? I hope we aren't progressing towards a seasonal 'Winterval Festival'.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:11 pm

johnfás wrote:
Why do we have the Christmas lights on in early November? I hope we aren't progressing towards a seasonal 'Winterval Festival'.
To get us to spend more, to help the retail sector through these difficult times.
I'm not making this up, btw.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm

eoinmn wrote:
johnfás wrote:
To get us to spend more, to help the retail sector through these difficult times.
I'm not making this up, btw.

A bit of retailers therapy ? It's the time of the year when we work Santa Clause into the ground again. I'm thinking of opening a children's website where Santa Clause gives output and productions figures from children's toy demand, assesses the ecological and social impacts of millions of tons/litres of plastics, alcohol and chocolate, recounts the deaths of some elves as they were crushed under some production-line machinery etc.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:45 pm

I've always thought a good website would be one where a toyshop set up a SantaClause.ie and the kids could order all their toys online etc... just whip the parents credit card details and you are off to a winner.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 9:41 pm

yehbut_nobut wrote:
my biodynamic gardening calendar says the moon is in aries, and reaches full at 6am tomorrow morning. Also that it's a good day for cutting christmas trees that need to be transported a long distance. so there!
Anyone who doubts what the biodynamic/anthroposophic people say should note the high prices that their products fetch. And why do their wines consistently win the prizes awarded by connoisseurs?

The best beer I've tasted is the Vollmond (Full Moon) beer from a select few breweries in the German-speaking countries.

It's amazing that there isn't more research on the effects of the moon on human behaviour. It's illogical to think that it doesn't have a big effect.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm sure it does effect human behaviour, it effects most animals.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm

soubresauts wrote:
yehbut_nobut wrote:
my biodynamic gardening calendar says the moon is in aries, and reaches full at 6am tomorrow morning. Also that it's a good day for cutting christmas trees that need to be transported a long distance. so there!
Anyone who doubts what the biodynamic/anthroposophic people say should note the high prices that their products fetch. And why do their wines consistently win the prizes awarded by connoisseurs?

The best beer I've tasted is the Vollmond (Full Moon) beer from a select few breweries in the German-speaking countries.

It's amazing that there isn't more research on the effects of the moon on human behaviour. It's illogical to think that it doesn't have a big effect.

Women are ruled by the moon Shocked
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 pm

I know a girl who refuses to call women, women, she says that the word, 'and all it entails', is a patriarchal construct. She prefers the word wee-moon... or something along those lines. It is always good for getting a rise Razz.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 10:11 pm

johnfás wrote:
I know a girl who refuses to call women, women, she says that the word, 'and all it entails', is a patriarchal construct. She prefers the word wee-moon... or something along those lines. It is always good for getting a rise Razz.

Are you sure its not "woe-men" Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 12:41 am

Globalism hits the moon:

14/11/2008 - 19:28:15
The first lunar probe from India landed successfully on the moon today, the Indian Space Research Organisation said.

ISRO chairman G Madhavan Nair said cameras on board have been transmitting images of the moon back to Indian space control.

Chief among the lunar mission’s goals is mapping not only the surface of the moon, but what lies beneath.

If successful, India will join what is shaping up to be a 21st century space race with Chinese and Japanese crafts already in orbit around the moon.

The unmanned moon mission was launched from the Sriharikota space centre in southern India on October 22. The box-shaped lunar probe carried a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer.

The video imaging system was intended to take the pictures of the moon’s surface, the radar altimeter was to measure the rate of descent of the probe to the lunar surface, and the mass spectrometer was for studying the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.

The Moon Impact Probe was one of the 11 payloads of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, a space agency statement said.

To date only the US, Russia, the European Space Agency, Japan and China have sent missions to the moon.

As India’s economy has boomed in recent years, it has sought to convert its new-found wealth – built on the nation’s hi-tech sector – into political and military clout.

The moon mission comes just months after India finalised a deal with the United States that recognises India as a nuclear power and leaders hope it will further enhance its prestige.

In the last year, Asian nations have taken the lead in moon exploration. In October last year, Japan sent up the Kaguya spacecraft. A month later, China’s Chang’e-1 entered lunar orbit.
Shocked
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:28 pm

johnfás wrote:
I'm sure it does effect human behaviour, it effects most animals.
Eh, how does it affect animals? I've heard some nonsense lately about the body being 70% water and being affected much as the tide.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 12:49 am

Just half-watching a programme about how the moon was made from a bit of the earth that got knocked off it, and how the earth is slowing and the tides, which are magnetic, are spinning the moon like a top.

Perhaps I haven't got all that quite right.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:05 am

cactus flower wrote:
Just half-watching a programme about how the moon was made from a bit of the earth that got knocked off it, and how the earth is slowing and the tides, which are magnetic, are spinning the moon like a top.

Not quite the last bit - the Moon is "tidally locked", which is why we only ever see one side of it. The rest - pretty much. The current theory is that during the formation of the planets, a Mars-sized planet ("Theia") occupied the same orbit as us, and the impact of Theia with proto-Earth knocked sufficient material into orbit to eventually form the Moon.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:09 am

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Not quite the last bit - the Moon is "tidally locked", which is why we only ever see one side of it. The rest - pretty much. The current theory is that during the formation of the planets, a Mars-sized planet ("Theia") occupied the same orbit as us, and the impact of Theia with proto-Earth knocked sufficient material into orbit to eventually form the Moon.

So what is the relationship between the tides and the moon ?
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 am

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Not quite the last bit - the Moon is "tidally locked", which is why we only ever see one side of it....

Actually it is - The phenomenon is called "libration", and it means that the moon tilts in it's polar axis relative to the earth. this means that over time 59% of the moons surface gets to be visable from the earth.

Full Moon Rising Lunar_libration_with_phase_Oct_2007

Full Moon Rising Image:Lunar_libration_with_phase_Oct_2007
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:55 am

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

So what is the relationship between the tides and the moon ?

The Moon's gravity makes a bulge in the Earth's surface as the Earth rotates underneath it. Noticeable on any large body of water because the pull piles up more water than earth, and because you need a large body of water to see the full effect (to get a full-scale tide on a pond, you'd be pulling up the water at a heck of an angle!). The Sun has the same effect, and when the Moon and Sun pull together you get 'spring tides' - high - and when they're opposed you get 'neap tides' - low.

The actual tidal range in any given location is a function of a large number of factors.
Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 1:17 am

Looking at the moon this evening I also saw the International Space Station pass overhead, very impressive. Next pass is tomorrow evening (2nd dec) and starts at 17.42 in the West and ends at 17.47 in East South East direction. The next pass is a lot dimmer and starts at 19.18 West and ends at 19.18 WestSouthWest.
In my experience from looking at the passes tonight the visable section is only the middle third of these times as it goes into the earths shawdow towards the end.

Info above from Heavens above, linke below, hope its a clear night again tomorrow.

http://www.heavens-above.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Full Moon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising Empty

Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next