Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Where do you see the ISEQ trading 1 year from now? i.e. Oct 2009
1000-2000
The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_lcap50%The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 7 ]
2000-3000
The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_lcap29%The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_rcap
 29% [ 4 ]
3000-4000
The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_lcap7%The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
4000-5000
The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_lcap14%The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 pm

johnfás wrote:
ISEQ has gone up two days in a row... this can't last... we'll have a new tiger cub at this rate... bounce

Sick cat bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Can't be right, Johnny!, Armageddon was scheduled for this year

Shome mishtake shurely ....gravity is a hard habit to break
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:27 pm

http://www.ise.ie/app/popup_graph.asp?INDEX_TYPE=

18 points up this morning. As there is no public good news, does this mean some kind of "special information" is being relied on?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 pm

It could be the Obama spiff yesterday. I've noticed Obama - iseq effects before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:49 pm

cactus flower wrote:

18 points up this morning. As there is no public good news, does this mean some kind of "special information" is being relied on?

I think it has been up every day this week... must be a long time since that happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Jaysis pass the Valium sandwiches, are we all hallucinating??? Or is it the rumours of the Elan takeover bid and the Waterford equity buyout?? Or the fact the NTMA managed to sell twice the number of bonds it was initially looking for.....saw all this on Finfacts this am if anyone wants to check the sources.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 pm

expat girl wrote:
Jaysis pass the Valium sandwiches, are we all hallucinating??? Or is it the rumours of the Elan takeover bid and the Waterford equity buyout?? Or the fact the NTMA managed to sell twice the number of bonds it was initially looking for.....saw all this on Finfacts this am if anyone wants to check the sources.

"There is great value out there..."
Its the mantra from the talking heads on bloomberg. Mind you ISEQ Finanacials are down from 18000 to 900 points in a year but have been holding steady for about a month now at the 900-1000 mark.
I know the xmas break is in the middle of it all but a one month holding pattern is encouraging.

Where is youngdan to give me a slap upside the head.
I still have'nt invested that housesale money yet.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 pm

In a situation where high or hyperinflation is expected then stock would be bought even if business was bad because everything would be bought to get the money spent. There is nothing as hard as catching a bottom because things when bad can still get worse.

There is a tendency to buy when things are bad and it catchs many. Things would be seen as bad now but it may get worse
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 pm

youngdan wrote:
In a situation where high or hyperinflation is expected then stock would be bought even if business was bad because everything would be bought to get the money spent. There is nothing as hard as catching a bottom because things when bad can still get worse.

There is a tendency to buy when things are bad and it catchs many. Things would be seen as bad now but it may get worse

Non-fram payroll report came in today, Dan, within the range of expectations and this has since pushed the $ up v the € and CHF, although it's down 1 yen.

€/$ at 1.3477
$/Y at 90.21
$/CHF at 1.1110
€/£ at 0.8866

How do you see the short term? Still bearish on the $? To be honest, I am more bearish on the Euro. I see €/£ going to 80/84 soon and the €/$ heading towards 1.2500.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I think the 2 of them are doomed but the dollar will go first. The euro does not have a monstrous borrowing necessity in quite the same way as the dollar.

I don't pass too much regard for the employment reports. It is an estimate, and a convoluted one at that, and not an actual count. They are always
amended.

A major dollar mover might be Obama's first news conference. His stupidy is not apparent to most yet but he is clueless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Obama has recruited a lot of smart guys to work in his administration and has balanced some big names against each other. If he was clueless he would employ intellectually light-weight ideologues like his predecessor.

I saw a review that said when things don't go down when the bad news comes out, then you know you are at the bottom! Who has the courage to surf the financial tsunami? Patrick Swayze? Keanu Reeves?.... anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 pm

youngdan wrote:
I think the 2 of them are doomed but the dollar will go first. The euro does not have a monstrous borrowing necessity in quite the same way as the dollar.

I don't pass too much regard for the employment reports. It is an estimate, and a convoluted one at that, and not an actual count. They are always
amended.

A major dollar mover might be Obama's first news conference. His stupidy is not apparent to most yet but he is clueless.

I agree. Both are a sell long term. But I think in the short term the dollar will fare better simply because one policy, for bettrer or worse, will be articulated. In Europe, no such unity of policy can be expected. Competing voices will fight for dominance.

As for the employment report, point taken. But it is the thing that moves forex and sometimes the bond market at 08.30 every first Friday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Swayze is not doing much surfing lately. Obama has the same team as Bush had. All banking insiders from the fed, jpm and goldman.

It is easy to say that Paulson is a lightweight but if you fall for that you are beyond redemption. He has gotten about 7 trillion and has set the stage for Geithner and Summers to continue.

This donkey Obama says he will spend us to prosperity, This despite the fact that we don't have two nickles to rub together
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 11:57 pm

If he spends it on improving your energy security he may yet still be your Saviour. To say the US is doomed is placing far too much trust in the competence of other national governments around the world.

Europe's handling of the gas crisis is giving me the heebie jeebies. Especially given the cold winter

I have always thought in my more depressive moments that it would probably serve us right if the Gulf stream turned tail at the same time as a fairly terminal energy/economic crisis. The wages of global "warming"..... I hope we are not now going to get an object lesson in why the climatologists always preferred the phrase "climate change"

Agreed on the Euro... having said that, a weaker Euro would solve a lot of our problems. Am hoping against hope that it will continue to depreciate against sterling. 10% unemployment here is better than 12%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:20 am

Do you believe national governments has the best interest of the citizens as a priority.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:56 am

youngdan wrote:
Do you believe national governments has the best interest of the citizens as a priority.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 pm

cactus flower wrote:
youngdan wrote:

lol!

Well, they certainly have the better interests of their more corporate citizens at heart, but then, what choice have they, unless they want to be paying everyone the dole. It is sadly true that "it's the economy, stupid", that sucker has to be kept running. Funnily enough, point me to the economies that ARE working right now. I suspect that one could count non-natural resource blessed FUNCTIONAL economies right now on the non-existent fingers of a very leprous hand. And don't quote the Swiss at me; the combo of Steinbruek and Obama might be an unpleasant surprise for the cantons, in the very near future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 6:56 pm

The ISEQ is taking a dive. Could it be that they haven't heard that Cowen has not, I repeat not, said he's going to ask the IMF in.

I agree about Switzerland. Too much hanging on the banks, pills and watches.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 7:01 pm

The nose dive on CRH and AIB would seem to be a big contributor to today's overall nosedive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Did you ever buy your shares, EVM?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm

johnfás wrote:

Yeah I did. I bought 750 BOI @ €1.18
They went downhill from that day onwards to 0.68 over christmas Rolling Eyes . I'm not too bothered about them yet. In fact they look quite stable these last few weeks. All depends on the type and quantity of poo in the pipeline I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:29 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Yeah I did. I bought 750 BOI @ €1.18
They went downhill from that day onwards to 0.68 over christmas Rolling Eyes . I'm not too bothered about them yet. In fact they look quite stable these last few weeks. All depends on the type and quantity of poo in the pipeline I suppose.

That's a €375 negative return EVM, it's early days EVM and if you sit tight for the next few years, there is the possibility you will make a positive return on your shares.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 am

Hate to be a Doomster but with FG not supporting the Anglo bailout recap and Brian Goggin retiring from BOI ... could we see a few banks left out in the cold ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 1:29 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Hate to be a Doomster but with FG not supporting the Anglo bailout recap and Brian Goggin retiring from BOI ... could we see a few banks left out in the cold ?

Didnt I hear Enda Kenny saying today that Anglo should be killed off? ALthough how you kill off a guaranteed bank I'm not quite sure. It might be a bit like killing the other type of zombie. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 am

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Didnt I hear Enda Kenny saying today that Anglo should be killed off? ALthough how you kill off a guaranteed bank I'm not quite sure. It might be a bit like killing the other type of zombie. No
Back to the drawing board for the old bank guarantee soon. FG have something up their sleeve now perhaps.

From the Pin today - Cold facts of how we could be 'Iceland inside the euro' - Indo McWilliams article gets discussed:

David McWilliams wrote:
Consider the position of Anglo. If Anglo goes bust, because people withdraw their deposits, the State will have to write a large cheque. That cheque could be as big as €30bn if the assets in the bank’s balance sheet are as bad as many fear. Will Ireland be able to write this cheque? Will we be able, at short notice, to borrow that much cash? Furthermore, will Irish workers stick around to pay the tax associated with such a rise in our national debt?
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/cold-facts-of-how-we-could-be-iceland-inside-the-euro-1600539.html

Scary shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000   The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000 - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

The ISEQ Thread Part II - Trading below 2000
Page 17 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next