Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Trading places

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 am

It's time for Cookiemonster to move from the exciting worlf of insurance into something a bit more... him.

It's at the stage where on a Sunday afternoon the thought of going into work on a Monday morning leaves me feeling tense and sad. It's not good. It's a sure sign I have to move.

Thing is I'm dreading the whole job hunting thing. I don't mind interviews (infact, freak that I am, I like interviews) but it's the hunting for something suitable and also the CV stuff and cover letter and references and attending interviews and how do I deal with that re my current employer.

Euugh the thought of that is almost as bad as the thought of having to go into work on monday.

So, do any of you wonderful people have any tips or advice for me?

Many pleases!

CM.

Last edited by cookiemonster on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:05 am

If you like interviews, you may have a flair for performance. Perhaps a job in which you have to put yourself in front of an audience might be good.
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:09 am

Well you spotted that well, Cactus.

Though not exactly on stage I've seen a role in training (financial services, but still) I was considering.

It would mean a drop in salary and it's also out in Sandyford (which would probably mean moving too).
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 am

Just for fun, CM, have you written the spec for the job you'd really love to have?
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 am

When entering the interview room, stride purposely towards the panel. Stop suddenly and thrust out your hand in a flick-knife type manner. Also be smelling strongly of tcp and they will be like putty in your hands.

And good luck in the jobhunting too.
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
When entering the interview room, stride purposely towards the panel. Stop suddenly and thrust out your hand in a flick-knife type manner. Also be smelling strongly of tcp and they will be like putty in your hands.

And good luck in the jobhunting too.

I'd been using Jayes's fluid, so that's where I went wrong. I also decided to dress half man/half woman, you know, to show how flexible and adaptable I am.

Kate, I don't need to write it, it already exists:

Trading places Ban%20ki-moon-jj-001

Perhaps on a smaller scale.
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:29 am

Best of Luck CM

I understand how you feel - after 7 years with current employers Im starting to question the meaning of life myself. Am trying to start thinking about the whole moving on thing aswell - as Im in my mid30's it seems a hell of a lot more serious than the "portfolio" career I built up in my 20's - its intimidating alright - you really want the next move if its out of the direction you are currently in to be the right one - you have my sympathies alright - Id be the same as you regarding interviews- the boss says I could and have talked myself out of an appointment with the firing squad on many occasions - its the rest of the job-hunting gig I need serious motivation to get up and go with.

Take your time and weight up the pros and cons and I guess go with your gut instincts - if its something you want to do and its worth a temporary paycut to get in the door - well go for it

BTW - I work in Sandyford - Dont know if thats a plus or minus for you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:33 am

cookiemonster wrote:

Though not exactly on stage I've seen a role in training (financial services, but still) I was considering.

It would mean a drop in salary and it's also out in Sandyford (which would probably mean moving too).

Sandyford is on the Dort.
Back to top Go down

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:36 am

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Sandyford is on the Dort.

Actually we're much swankier - we're on the Luas (Green Line) - no chance of any residents of the DNS oversleeping and ending up on the right side of the river! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trading places Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading places   Trading places Empty

Back to top Go down

Trading places
Page 1 of 1