Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The "I LIKE..." thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 pm

I like Edo's occasional posts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 11:45 pm

905 wrote:
I like Edo's occasional posts.

They are a work of art. The speak sonorously like so much sweet poetry underpinned by an unmistakeable oeuvre and power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Hooray, I got an interview. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:14 am

johnfás wrote:
Hooray, I got an interview. cheers

Hup ! Ya boy ya. Well done. Where is it ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 am

In one of the 'big 5' law firms. It is not until January (presumably so they know the results of your law society entrance exams). Have to go to a soiree thingy at their offices next week. It doesn't give a dress code - silly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 am

johnfás wrote:
In one of the 'big 5' law firms. It is not until January (presumably so they know the results of your law society entrance exams). Have to go to a soiree thingy at their offices next week. It doesn't give a dress code - silly.

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 am

johnfás wrote:

Will you have much swotting to do for it ? Or is it fresh in the mind already ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 am

I'll have to look through their website and find out a bit more about the firm so I can answer their trivia on it... which is something these places seem to like to do. Thankfully I saved copies of all the answers I gave on application forms - one of my friends got caught out on that at an interview last week! They were also asked at that interview what they would have done to Jonathon Ross if they were controller of BBC scratch .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 am

johnfás wrote:

Wonderful news, johnfás - best of luck with it.

I imagine it's formal all the way...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 am

johnfás wrote:
Formal - definitely formal. An interview will generally be formal, and my girlfriend's sister when attending these kinds of interviews wouldn't be caught in anything less than her smartest suit. Furthermore, when I had to go to a "briefing day" for campus managers of a big law firm over in London, no dress code was specified but everyone showed up in formal wear (though I decided to buck the trend and go business casual). Obviously the two events are not the same but my point is that if people will presume a formal dress code for a campus manager briefing day, they will undoubtedly do the same for something much more important like an interview, and you don't want to be seen as the only one who didn't get it. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 6:30 am

And in other good news, the Random Act of Kindness Society has been recognized on a provisional basis in TCD! Well, the name is still kind of undecided, it was originally to be called the Amelie Society but there were problems with that. It's a relief to get recognized, we had to be interrogated by the Central Societies Committe today and it would have been an awful shame if we had been rejected as the idea is already beginning to catch on with a lot of people. Hooray!

Oh and should have said it earlier but congrats johnfás!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 am

Congratulations on the society. Running a society is one of the most rewarding activities you can engage in on a university campus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Formal - definitely formal. An interview will generally be formal, and my girlfriend's sister when attending these kinds of interviews wouldn't be caught in anything less than her smartest suit. Furthermore, when I had to go to a "briefing day" for campus managers of a big law firm over in London, no dress code was specified but everyone showed up in formal wear (though I decided to buck the trend and go business casual). Obviously the two events are not the same but my point is that if people will presume a formal dress code for a campus manager briefing day, they will undoubtedly do the same for something much more important like an interview, and you don't want to be seen as the only one who didn't get it. Just my two cents.

It's not possible to be over-dressed for an event unless it potentially involves mud. At least being as well-dressed, as formally dressed as you can (and how easy it is for men!) means that you show you take yourself and your position seriously. There's also the likelihood that at johnfás's soirée, the majority of the attendees may have never even seen each other in anything but formal/business garb. So the change in dress code would be worthy of mention. The status quo will remain unchanged.

Your biggest decision will be your tie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 pm

I generally only ever wear a fairly neutral tie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 pm

johnfás wrote:
Congratulations on the society. Running a society is one of the most rewarding activities you can engage in on a university campus.

Really? In my day the opportunities for embezzlement were fairly limited.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Razz

I'd say the opportunities for embezzlement are even more limited now, certainly in UCD. You have a member of the academic staff overview your finances - pain in the neck when you are treasurer and he is on a sabbatical in Denmark for a term Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:25 pm

johnfás wrote:
I generally only ever wear a fairly neutral tie.
Neutral works for me, especially since I seem to lack the ability to tell a nice tie from a horrible one. So different shades of grey and black is the way to go for me.

Obviously not all black though, unless "soiree" is French for funeral.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

wear a bold tie with a bit of colour. not garish however.

if you have a grey suit, blue shirt and nice yellow tie can work great.

similarly, dark suit (black or navy) wear white shirt and pretty much any tie can go. however, stay away from black or grey.

blue suit then blue or white shirt and red/blue with pattern can be good.

do not wear black suit with black shirt and tie or similar combo of grey/navy. it might look good on beckham in LA but cheap and nasty in dublin.

good luck with the interviews. a good suit/shirt/tie combo can give you confidence to shine at the interview. ditch jewellary (i saw a very qualified guy lose an interview because the (quite stylish and foxy female) snr manager didn't like the fact the guy was wearing a black ring!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 4:30 pm

johnfás wrote:
Razz

I'd say the opportunities for embezzlement are even more limited now, certainly in UCD. You have a member of the academic staff overview your finances - pain in the neck when you are treasurer and he is on a sabbatical in Denmark for a term Evil or Very Mad

Ah, well, I was lucky. My treasurer refused to put any society money into any of the events like the Science Ball, which meant that I was able to make a personal investment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 pm

I like one day football tournaments with big slap up meals afterwards. Organising one now for Christmas actually.

NEVER WEAR YOUR COLLEGE OR SCHOOL TIE.
(graduates sometimes do this at interviews!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Respvblica wrote:
I like one day football tournaments with big slap up meals afterwards. Organising one now for Christmas actually.

He went to UCD, Res... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 pm

I like hotels with nice big beds all for meeeeeeeeeeee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Kate P wrote:
Respvblica wrote:

He went to UCD, Res... Wink

Yup so I can kid them that I was in their law faculty Razz. That or I can wear the PPU tie from school and pretend to myself that the old boys network will get me in - probably would if I was bothered going that route but I disagree with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm

I like trains... chugga chugga chugga chugga choo choo

Now lets see will it leave on time, due to depart in 5 minutes.

Do we have wifi on intercity Irish trains?

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 2390739862_a21215a00b
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Bang on time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

The "I LIKE..." thread.
Page 17 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next