Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

For Art's Sake!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Brueghel is another artist who I enjoy greatly. You will have gathered from my reference to him and Lowry than I like some paintings which have a lot going on in them.

I was a big fan of Where's Wally Very Happy.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Brueghel_normal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:07 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
I see your man in the top right is into s&m. Nice collar

The oak leaf in his hat is the give away to that identity, and the hunters arrow the other one. Rusty on European Coats of Arms and emblems. I think dog collar was the Pope, another the Holy Roman Emperor(top left I think) and a third one of the Banking families (can't remember which is which but from memory oak tree was Pope Julius II) The bottom left may be the Medici I think something to do with the round balls on the hat. So you see why I think he was lucky not to suffer a painful slow death.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Squire wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
I see your man in the top right is into s&m. Nice collar

The oak leaf in his hat is the give away to that identity, and the hunters arrow the other one. Rusty on European Coats of Arms and emblems. I think dog collar was the Pope, another the Holy Roman Emperor(top left I think) and a third one of the Banking families (can't remember which is which but from memory oak tree was Pope Julius II) The bottom left may be the Medici I think something to do with the round balls on the hat. So you see why I think he was lucky not to suffer a painful slow death.

Are you trying to say he was from Derry?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 8:11 pm

johnfás wrote:
The stained glass is delicious Squire. We used to have a precise scaled replica of a window from the Église St Paul in Strasbourg which is now in a Church in England. I'll upload a photograph later when I am home.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Img_0111
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Are you trying to say he was from Derry?

Probably an early settler. Enough to torment anyone.

johnfás

Stain glass is magical it is like the sea. It changes mood with the weather.

How about Klimt

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Klimt_kiss
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am

Any Markey Robinson fans?

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 154
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:38 am

Yes I could live with that, for some reason think the yachts look wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 am

Yes, his paintings are simplistic and primitive in nature, often bizarre in scale and perspective. He was championed by the Oriel Gallery on Clare Street which is still a significant dealer in his works.

I like his paintings of clowns:
For Art's Sake! - Page 2 2007050423
For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Picture%2054
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:57 am

Sebastiao Salgado never fails to move me with his depictions of humanity
For Art's Sake! - Page 2 02s_1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:59 am

Fantastic! Some photography into the mix Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 pm

I have a nice photograph of a lady walking through the gate of Dublin Castle from 1952. I'll try to take a photo of it later on and upload it.

What do people think of the Pop Art period? Whether it be Andy Warhol's Black Lenin or something more cartoonistic like Roy Lichtenstein.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Andy-w10

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Untiti10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 1:53 pm

johnfás wrote:
I have a nice photograph of a lady walking through the gate of Dublin Castle from 1952. I'll try to take a photo of it later on and upload it.

Don't have time to take it out of the glass and get the light on it correctly so just took a quick snap of it from an angle to get rid of my own reflection in the glass. The colours on the actual photograph are much darker. More black and white than shades of grey.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Img_0010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm

If I had to pick an older artist it'd be Bosch.
For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Bosch
Do they all represent something?

A more recent artist I like would be Cezanne:
For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Cezanne_Maincy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Has anyone been to Giverny outside Paris? It was Monet's house and is a fantastic place to visit. Its beautiful gardens were the setting for many of his famous works such as waterlily impressionisms.

The wallpaper is a bit overpowering though!

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Givern10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:05 am

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Kandinski_1

kandinsky is one of my favs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:34 am

You can't bate Paul Henry for mad clouds - I love it!

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Tower_360x360

Hieronymous Bosch is fascinating - who needs the Surrealists? More analysis Squire!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:37 am

Paul Henry certainly does a very nice sky. If you are a grave digger you might be interested that he is buried in the cemetery in Enniskerry. His is the headstone with pebbles sitting on the top to mark it. Some people are interested in these things...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:48 am

Have to say I like the Kandinsky one Cookie posted above.

It's bright, colourful and gives vibes of engineering, mathematics and music.

Yet it could have been done in an hour with MS paint.

Smashing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:02 am

How about an original johnfás composition created roughly 90 minutes ago? Any buyers?

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Img_0011
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 3:02 am

johnfás wrote:
How about an original johnfás composition created roughly 90 minutes ago? Any buyers?

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Img_0011

Lovely, there is just something odd about the composition though which I can't put my finger on.

It's a lovely building, I pass by every morning, shame about the drunks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 3:05 am

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Horse

My favourite irish artist, I could spend hours looking at his work.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Yeatspainting

I also love Rothko, but the impact could never be reproduced in an image here so I won't bother.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Jack B. Yeats - Book Illustrations   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Are you just a fan of the oil paintings by Yeats, cookiemonster, or are you a fan of his generally? He did alot of illustrations for books.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 63
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:29 pm

johnfás wrote:
Are you just a fan of the oil paintings by Yeats, cookiemonster, or are you a fan of his generally? He did alot of illustrations for books.

If he wrote on the back of a toilet door, johnfas, I'd be a fan of that too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:10 pm

That'd be more Markey (see above) Robinson's style! Half his paintings are on the back of old cardboard boxes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Gertrude Degenhardt   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 4:07 pm

German artist Gertrude Degenhardt? She exhibited in Galway in the early nineties and had a witchy kind of style somehow suitable to the West of Ireland/Galway.

For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Gd_titel_vagabondage_en_rougeFor Art's Sake! - Page 2 WalzerseligFor Art's Sake! - Page 2 GD_15For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Immer%20daran%20denkenFor Art's Sake! - Page 2 Per_forma
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

For Art's Sake!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next