Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

For Art's Sake!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 3:03 am

Quote :
My suicidal stubbornness in the face of contrary overwhelming logic unfortunately dissipated by my mid-to-late 20s, after several unfortunate forays into engaging my mouth before my mind (inadequate as it is). I prefer now to stand on the hill above the opposing troops, entering only when one set is surrounded completely...

Very creative response, in the baroque style I would suggest. I hadn't expected you to go to those creative lengths to say you were chickening out. Laughing

Obviously that's a subjective response to your post... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 3:24 am

Kate P wrote:
Quote :
My suicidal stubbornness in the face of contrary overwhelming logic unfortunately dissipated by my mid-to-late 20s, after several unfortunate forays into engaging my mouth before my mind (inadequate as it is). I prefer now to stand on the hill above the opposing troops, entering only when one set is surrounded completely...

Very creative response, in the baroque style I would suggest. I hadn't expected you to go to those creative lengths to say you were chickening out. Laughing

Obviously that's a subjective response to your post... Wink

Drat. I was hoping verbosity would mask it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Smile

Should we start that all over again, Toxic or just quit graciously while we're ahead?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Kate P wrote:
Smile

Should we start that all over again, Toxic or just quit graciously while we're ahead?

'Ignominiously' would be more appropriate, I'd say...

What about my favourite cartoonist, Steve Bell of the Guardian? In the tradition of satirists since Hogarth, is it primarily art or is the satirical message paramount?

Recent example:

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Belsteve512
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:28 pm

That is deep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Good cartoon. Media is unfortunately becoming increasingly bereft of good comic satire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 2:04 am

toxic avenger wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Smile

'Ignominiously' would be more appropriate, I'd say...

What about my favourite cartoonist, Steve Bell of the Guardian? In the tradition of satirists since Hogarth, is it primarily art or is the satirical message paramount?

Recent example:

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Belsteve512

Inexplicably this cartoon reminds me of this...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDaNGzUYM8

(I did embed the link earlier, but embedding sometimes makes my posts wonky).

You'll either love this or hate it - but it's worth watching and listening to to the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 am

maybe you should move out West, youngdan or south for the heat ? The West looks very colourful if this fella's paintings are anything to go by.

A little bit traditional for the more avant-garde among ye, but if you've ever spent two weeks looking at a mountain trying to represent it then you might appreciate the impressionism and seeming simplicity of this fella's work.

Cody Long, the Sedona region Arizona
http://codydelong.com/

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Mystic%20Sedona%20c

Love this one:

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Blond%20Bluffs%20of%20Sedona%208x10.c

Monsoon skies ...

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Monsoon%20Skies%20c

Catching the Light ..

For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Catching%20the%20Light%20c
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Just saw a book about Sir William Orpen, magnificient bit of history on the inside cover. A pencil drawn self portrait from 1917 in his war painter army uniform, drawn in the trenches with an inscription that he "doesn't much like this job". Great bit of history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

For Art's Sake!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5