Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Might splash out today lads (cad é seo?)

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Metal%20coffee%20grinder

Seo Cliff Thorburn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 9:02 pm

I gave up on manual grinders long ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 6:57 pm

The bicycle dynamo

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Bicycle%20dynamo_small

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Bicycle-Dynamo

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 573
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Today's Observer comes with The Observer Book of Invention and it's a fascinating, if dinky little read. It has interviews with inventors - all kinds of interesting things for those who are at home on these boards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 2:13 pm

The water level seriously underrated. Levels generally. Plumb lines so simple but so useful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Historically, the bicycle, as CF mentioned. It really is the most efficient form of transport.

In more modern times.. the folding bicycle! Smile

Voice over IP such as used by Skype and Blueface are cool too.
Also IP (internet protocol) itself. And of course HTTP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 3:28 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Historically, the bicycle, as CF mentioned. It really is the most efficient form of transport.

In more modern times.. the folding bicycle! Smile

Voice over IP such as used by Skype and Blueface are cool too.
Also IP (internet protocol) itself. And of course HTTP.
A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Thaxted33

The windmill - old ones and new ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

I'd be lost without my Leatherman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:21 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I'd be lost without my Leatherman.
I lost my Leatherman! Well, to be accurate, my Swiss Army knife. Left it in the rucksack instead of packing it in the suitcase when I went for my flight -- as you would. Being tired, and late, I couldn't face the rigmarole of going back to check-out, etc. And they tell you that all those confiscated items (so innocent, so useful!) will be destroyed. All because of those al-Qaeda lunatics.

Anyway, I'll plump for the bicycle too. The bike dynamo is certainly very useful -- in the right place. I used to live in a place where, unlike in Dublin, you could be confident that it wouldn't be vandalized.

In the same vein, those wind-up devices are really neat and useful. I have a few flash lights of that type, but my favourite flash light is a shake one: you just shake it to charge it up. Apart from being always available and lasting a lifetime, it shows you how wave-power can work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 am

I have a wind-up torch that has a radio on it, but the best thing ever is that you can plug it into your mobile phone and wind it up and it charges your phone for you! I've never seen anything like it. I'm looking for a music festival I can go to so I can make good use of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I have a wind-up torch that has a radio on it, but the best thing ever is that you can plug it into your mobile phone and wind it up and it charges your phone for you! I've never seen anything like it. I'm looking for a music festival I can go to so I can make good use of it.

I'm usually opposed to multifunctional widgets on the grounds that none of the functions works properly, but that sounds marvellous AfricanDave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 pm

We haven't used this old thread in a while - anyone have one of these and bring it to work or bring it to the woods or to watch the children playing in the street at Halloween ?

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Db_Thermos_Flask_216x2162

Keeps water hot for 8 hours according to this poor website. A truly remarkable and brilliant Scottish invention in operation for over a century. Almost as brilliant as Higland Toffee or Scots Clan Very Happy

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Highland_toffee_original
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 am

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Harmony13_MED

We have just put in a new wood/coal burning stove like this one. Fitted yesterday, and a great success.
A bit of a sooty job. It is much more fuel efficient and less draughty than the open fire was.

Product information

Burns both wood and coal
Airwash for cleaner glass
Cast iron construction
No boiler available
6" top or rear flue
7kW maximum heat output
Dimensions - Height 660mm Width 610mm Depth 370mm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 12:33 am

Looks very cosy - have you got the space around it and the bricks and the big chunk of timber to hang your Christmas socks where your cat can
sit ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 12:36 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Looks very cosy - have you got the space around it and the bricks and the big chunk of timber to hang your Christmas socks where your cat can sit ?

Its sitting in a nice old slate fireplace with a cast iron arch around it and a red rug in front. It has its flue coming out of the back, and is flat on top for boiling a kettle or making soup in an emergency. Lots of room for Christmas stockings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 1:13 pm

I sooooo want one of those stoves.

Open fires look nice, but all the heat disappears up the chimney.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 1:17 pm

eoinmn wrote:
I sooooo want one of those stoves.

Open fires look nice, but all the heat disappears up the chimney.

It is working a treat. My only regret is that it doesn't have a back boiler. The ideal for someone in the country would be solar for the summer and one of these for the winter, with a bit of ash and willow coppicing planted. Could do without oil, or with only a small amount for backup.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 pm

fridge for me. its transformed modern life.

second place is the mobile phone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 pm

for me it has to be electricity! Very Happy gotta love it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm

What about tinygrow and 6+=1 on box7box. Mind, they are addictive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 5:04 pm

TGOC wrote:

What's that tinygrow about ? I got two windmills but all the birds keep killing my tree... it is addictive though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
TGOC wrote:

What's that tinygrow about ? I got two windmills but all the birds keep killing my tree... it is addictive though.
Don't try 6+=1 then, that will really blow the grey matter. A great example of oriental creativity.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 pm

I like differential calculus. Does that count ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 2:04 pm

the bicycle. revolutionised transport.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire   A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A gadget/machine/device or discovery you like or admire
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next