Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Lovely Graph Thread

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Lovely Graph Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 am

This place needs to get less scriptural and more visual! I've started this thread so people can post up their favourite economic graphs and charts.

One of mine is the following real GDP growth chart from the ESRI's website:

http://www.esri.ie/irish_economy/

To me it illustrates the astonishing and transformative experience our economy has experienced. It is the Celtic Tiger on a bar chart.

I added a .png extension to your address.

The Lovely Graph Thread Fsf4ldd047w
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Yep, THAT graph again   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:25 am

This one I came across last October which looking for stuff on petrol consumption. I think it's still very alarming though I've looked at it and posted many times and places since. To me it simply proves that the States has such a dependency on oil that weaning themselves off their addiction to it (or not) will be pre-eminent in the story of the near future.

Hands to the Pump

The Lovely Graph Thread Petrol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 am

You're the man I wanted! How the hell did you get those ESRI graphs to show up, like you did on the p.ie thread of many moons ago? They're all on feckin' internal for me and I can't put the image up as an image, the most I can do is link it with a URL. I would like it to be visual, not textual!

On topic, that graph is fascinating. I've never met an Economist chart which hasn't made me stop and think. They're salutory viewing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:37 am

On your internal graph I guessed at the image extension - .png. Yes a graph or a map does it for me too. And a spreadsheet to an extent. The www.worldmapper.org maps were great for information - remember them? A bit of a twist on the pie charts. Charts can contain a whole heap of information at one glance... very handy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 4:51 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
This place needs to get less scriptural and more visual! I've started this thread so people can post up their favourite economic graphs and charts.

To me it illustrates the astonishing and transformative experience our economy has experienced. It is the Celtic Tiger on a bar chart.

Er, that looks to me like the Celtic Tiger ran from 1995-2000 pretty much. It was a transformative burst alright, but it doesn't exactly disprove the claim that we've been living on Greenspan's credit pump since then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 10:50 am

Steady growth cannot continue forever though ibis as we have learned from this hour-long series of lectures

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 9:54 pm

ibis wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Er, that looks to me like the Celtic Tiger ran from 1995-2000 pretty much. It was a transformative burst alright, but it doesn't exactly disprove the claim that we've been living on Greenspan's credit pump since then.

Well, if you were to over-lay the Fed's interest rate chart on this, it would. Interest rates were 4-6% from 1999 to 2000 when wwe experienced our highest growth. Interest rates were reduced to 1-2% through 2003 and 2004, our weakest years of economic expansion. If anything, the expansionary instincts of Greenspan reduced our rate of economic growth.

Anyway, I'd like to see your favourite graph, ibis. I'm sure you have lots of good ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

World military spending

The Lovely Graph Thread 350px-Graph_%28military_spenders%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

The Chinese probably get a lot more bang for their buck though, would I be right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Here's another graph showing the Celtic Tiger's transformative effects:

The Lovely Graph Thread Ggd_gdp

It's truly astonishing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 9:41 pm

Three likkle worldmapper maps
http://www.worldmapper.org/

This thumbnail is of world population represented proportionately by land area - looks half normal
The Lovely Graph Thread Map2_pop_display

Toys Exports
The Lovely Graph Thread 57

Toys Imports
The Lovely Graph Thread 58

Concluding that America and the UK are the world's biggest importers of Chinese toys...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

The message made simple
The Lovely Graph Thread Peaks10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Three likkle worldmapper maps
http://www.worldmapper.org/

This thumbnail is of world population represented proportionately by land area - looks half normal
The Lovely Graph Thread Map2_pop_display

Toys Exports
The Lovely Graph Thread 57

Toys Imports
The Lovely Graph Thread 58

Concluding that America and the UK are the world's biggest importers of Chinese toys...

WorldMapper, *sigh*, is there anything they can't map? They're fantastic. The maps say so much more than raw basic tables of figures.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm sort of missing the point of a graph over time though by putting the worldmapper maps there ... I'll find something appropriate eventually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I'm sort of missing the point of a graph over time though by putting the worldmapper maps there ... I'll find something appropriate eventually.

I've taught myself how to lift those internal graphs off ESRI etc. as well. You right-click on the pic, click "Properties", copy the URL/HTML line of alphanumeric text and paste it here enclosed in [img][/img] tags. My TQ went up another point! Yay!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 10:58 pm

I got a lovely graph on mt desk today. I have the most expensive portfolio in the department at the moment! Well I did until I delegated some cases out this evening. It's not so expensive now. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:08 am

The Lovely Graph Thread UncannyValleyGraph

There you go, cactus
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 am

cactus flower wrote:

There you go, cactus

Thanks, Very Happy I'll get it in the end: finally managed my first tidy link today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 am

cactus flower wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

There you go, cactus

Thanks, Very Happy I'll get it in the end: finally managed my first tidy link today

As Mod, I'll be able to sort you out in any case. Just keep on topic and you'll be grand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 am

Is my graph too social and not economic enough?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 am

cactus flower wrote:
Is my graph too social and not economic enough?

It's a graph which is intriguing enough to be included in any thread. I'd like to see your more economics-focused graphs. That one is good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 2:29 am

The Lovely Graph Thread Percen12

Even if you allow for the fact that the graph doesnt show how GDP has grown over the 500 years I still find it quite interesting.

Last edited by cactus flower on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Here's a very worthy addition to this thread, and yes, it's from the Economist! The capo di tutti capi of mass media measurers!

The Lovely Graph Thread AprilFoolsFinal

Food for thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:55 am

In my opinion, the graph below is the best chart of an asset bubble on the web at this moment in time:

The Lovely Graph Thread Bubble-psychology

It truly captures what markets go through of occasion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 pm

I've resurrected this thread for an amazing graph the Economist has on its website of the cost of robotic machines relative to labour costs, it seems that people are a rip off for manufacturers:

The Lovely Graph Thread Robots
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I've resurrected this thread for an amazing graph the Economist has on its website of the cost of robotic machines relative to labour costs, it seems that people are a rip off for manufacturers:

The Lovely Graph Thread Robots

Ard Taoiseach - have you got the key to that graph? it is very interesting. Does it allow one to compare labour costs with robotic costs per hour?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lovely Graph Thread   The Lovely Graph Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lovely Graph Thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next