Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Massive empty space below page

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Massive empty space below page - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Kate P wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
"In White" by Robert Frost:

A dented spider like a snow drop white
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of lifeless satin cloth—
Saw ever curious eye so strange a sight?—
Portent in little, assorted death and blight
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth?—
The beady spider, the flower like a froth,
And the moth carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The blue prunella every child's delight.
What brought the kindred spider to that height?
(Make we no thesis of the miller's plight.)
What but design of darkness and of night?
Design, design! Do I use the word aright?

Hello ever closer union!

I think that poem also goes by the name Design in a different version. It's one of Frost's darker poems and I quite like it for that reason. I can't open another window now to link to it as I'm balancing my 3G thing precariously in a car park and will probably lose this page if I chance a second window - but you might check it out.
Hi Kate P, yeah In White is the original version of Design I think. We studied Design for the leaving cert all those (two) years ago, it's one of my favourite poems. Although it makes me very nervous about all this empty white space malarkey... What but design of darkness to appal?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I've posted the question over on forumotion helpline and they asked to publish the CSS you wrote, EVM, for internet-wide scrutiny. It is, apparently, fine. I had to ask them where it was too...

Now they might try a few other tricks and Nessa cyclops has suggested backing up the forum and doing a restore to a previous time ... Will messages be lost? Will the words of the wise wither into the wilds of the web ???

I didn't write the CSS, only modified it. It's a huge CSS. Is there a thread I can read on forumotion?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 pm

I deactivated the basic CSS there in Admin/Display/Colours/CSS.

I also tried what he told me to do there and take out your comments /*EVM */ but that didn't work either.

Here's the thread
http://help.forumotion.com/manage-the-appearance-of-your-forum-f45/massive-blank-space-below-post-reply-buttons-t24755.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
If I switch off the theme now, all the buttons will disappear again but it might fix it ...

Do you think the gap might be caused by the little extra button at the bottom? can that be deleted ? Sorry if this is a silly question. Embarassed

What little extra button? It could so it's not a silly question at all. Are you using Internet Explorer? Ok I think I can find out if you are. Do you know how to do a screenprint?

Open Paint - mspaint
Scroll so you can see the little button you mention
Hit the PRT SCR key
Go to paint and press EDIT/PASTE
voilá - you'll see ... Smile

then save and upload file ..

It's this button, I think, cactus is referring to...

Display results as :
Posts Topics

Cactus is this the button you mean that ArdT is mentioning and can you see it and where exactly - inside a thread or outside on the portal?

I can't see it - it must be a Firefox/IE difference.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 am

That button is visible with IE. Does not appear in the page source though. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 am

Audi, did you check the Delta Quadrant to see if it is the same ?

Never mind. I checked it and NO white space.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 am

Sorry I was having a sandwich.

Two RSS feed modules switched off and still white space - could it be the CERN white hole impinging on our forum ... ? Maybe that youtube link ...

What's that about the IE button?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 am

Last RSS feed switched off and still the white space ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 am

Will we try a different skin completely?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 am

Well? What feed thingy in what admin panel?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:33 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you mean the Statcounter? I removed that too a while ago and ... nada.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:35 am

I think Forumotion is generating bullshit HTML.

Open the page source and search for 'display results' it's there twice, but not on rendered page. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:35 am

Does anyone else feel like a cartoon character that has fallen off the edge of the world and then poings back up (like a diver in reverse) when they automatically scroll down, realise the proximity of the abyss and then scroll back up again? I feel a bit like Wyle E Koyote dropping off some chunk of canyon and living tell another Acme tale. Great stuff. And it absolves me completely from having to make meaningful responses to intelligent questions about feed thingies in admin panels. It's great to be a cartoon superhero...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Open the page source and search for 'display results' it's there twice, but not on rendered page. Rolling Eyes
Ok - the Delta Quadrant has no problems like this white space one ... I'm going to remove all the CSS code now to see what happens ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:41 am

This cartoon character is off to the scratcher.

Tomorrow is another day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 am

Tomorrow is another day.

Well I took away all the CSS and now there's this. This is feckin cool boys and girls, I might head to the scratcher myself.

Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:52 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Ok - the Delta Quadrant has no problems like this white space one ... I'm going to remove all the CSS code now to see what happens ...

Nope. They have the Borg to sort them out. I could give them a ring, I hear their neighbourhood cube might be available this Tuesday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
If I switch off the theme now, all the buttons will disappear again but it might fix it ...

Do you think the gap might be caused by the little extra button at the bottom? can that be deleted ? Sorry if this is a silly question. Embarassed

What little extra button? It could so it's not a silly question at all. Are you using Internet Explorer? Ok I think I can find out if you are. Do you know how to do a screenprint?

Open Paint - mspaint
Hit the PRT SCR key
voilá - you'll see ... Smile

Display results as :
Posts Topics

Cactus is this the button you mean that ArdT is mentioning and can you see it and where exactly - inside a thread or outside on the portal?

I did a copy and paste of what I could see -select "display posts or topics" and when I pasted all this showed up:-

Display results as :
Posts Topics
This is what I can see at the bottom left hand side of the white page. It has a little select circle for Posts or Topics that could be selected. I just highlighted and selected it, then copied and pasted, and the whole page has copied too - see below. cf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advanced Search

Resources
Reference
DigitlRights
IrishStatuteBook
Oireachtas.ie
DeptOfFinance
CSO
ElectionsIreland
NDP
NRA
NSS
SEI
Iseq
ECHR-Act2003.pdf
Eurostat
Worldmapper
BillofHumanRights
Language Resources
Focal (Irish)
eDIL (Irish)
Irish Translation Forum
English-Irish Dictionary
Babelfish (U)
Interests
EarthPolicy.org
Ecogeek
Kitco
Slashdot
Treehugger
Wired

Forum
Create a free forum
Free forum support

Affiliates

Machine Nation :: Site Development and Editorial :: Site Development and Visitors Book
Page 2 of 2• Actions !
Actions !

View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts
Watched topics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add to your favourites
Send to a friend
Copy BBCode URL
Print this page

Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2

Re: Massive empty space below page
by evercloserunion Yesterday at 8:39 pm

Kate P wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
"In White" by Robert Frost:

A dented spider like a snow drop white
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of lifeless satin cloth—
Saw ever curious eye so strange a sight?—
Portent in little, assorted death and blight
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth?—
The beady spider, the flower like a froth,
And the moth carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The blue prunella every child's delight.
What brought the kindred spider to that height?
(Make we no thesis of the miller's plight.)
What but design of darkness and of night?
Design, design! Do I use the word aright?

Hello ever closer union!

I think that poem also goes by the name Design in a different version. It's one of Frost's darker poems and I quite like it for that reason. I can't open another window now to link to it as I'm balancing my 3G thing precariously in a car park and will probably lose this page if I chance a second window - but you might check it out.

Hi Kate P, yeah In White is the original version of Design I think. We studied Design for the leaving cert all those (two) years ago, it's one of my favourite poems. Although it makes me very nervous about all this empty white space malarkey... What but design of darkness to appal?
evercloserunion
Morula

by EvotingMachine0197 Yesterday at 8:53 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I've posted the question over on forumotion helpline and they asked to publish the CSS you wrote, EVM, for internet-wide scrutiny. It is, apparently, fine. I had to ask them where it was too...

Now they might try a few other tricks and Nessa has suggested backing up the forum and doing a restore to a previous time ... Will messages be lost? Will the words of the wise wither into the wilds of the web ???

I didn't write the CSS, only modified it. It's a huge CSS. Is there a thread I can read on forumotion?
EvotingMachine0197
Part II: Nokia Cityman

by Auditor #9 Yesterday at 8:56 pm

I deactivated the basic CSS there in Admin/Display/Colours/CSS.

I also tried what he told me to do there and take out your comments /*EVM */ but that didn't work either.

Here's the thread
http://help.forumotion.com/manage-the-appearance-of-your-forum-f45/massive-blank-space-below-post-reply-buttons-t24755.htm
Céard is brí le seachas?
http://machinenation.sosblog.com/
Auditor #9
Part III: HP Laserjet 3005 Ethernet Print Server and Duplexer

by Auditor #9 Yesterday at 10:59 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you think the gap might be caused by the little extra button at the bottom? can that be deleted ? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Open Paint - mspaint
Hit the PRT SCR key
voilá - you'll see ...

Display results as :
Posts Topics

Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by EvotingMachine0197 Today at 12:42 am

That button is visible with IE. Does not appear in the page source though. Go figure.
EvotingMachine0197

by EvotingMachine0197 Today at 12:45 am

Audi, did you check the Delta Quadrant to see if it is the same ?

Never mind. I checked it and NO white space.
EvotingMachine0197

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:16 am

Sorry I was having a sandwich.

Two RSS feed modules switched off and still white space - could it be the CERN white hole impinging on our forum ... ? Maybe that youtube link ...

What's that about the IE button?
Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:17 am

Last RSS feed switched off and still the white space ...
Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:18 am

Will we try a different skin completely?
Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:30 am

Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:33 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you mean the Statcounter? I removed that too a while ago and ... nada.
Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by EvotingMachine0197 Today at 1:35 am

Open the page source and search for 'display results' it's there twice, but not on rendered page.
EvotingMachine0197

by Kate P Today at 1:35 am

Does anyone else feel like a cartoon character that has fallen off the edge of the world and then poings back up (like a diver in reverse) when they automatically scroll down, realise the proximity of the abyss and then scroll back up again? I feel a bit like Wyle E Koyote dropping off some chunk of canyon and living tell another Acme tale. Great stuff. And it absolves me completely from having to make meaningful responses to intelligent questions about feed thingies in admin panels. It's great to be a cartoon superhero...
Kate P
Part II: 3G-CDMA2000

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:40 am

Open the page source and search for 'display results' it's there twice, but not on rendered page.

Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by EvotingMachine0197 Today at 1:41 am

Tomorrow is another day.
EvotingMachine0197

by Auditor #9 Today at 1:45 am

Tomorrow is another day.

Well I took away all the CSS and now there's this. This is feckin cool boys and girls, I might head to the scratcher myself.

Céard is brí le seachas?
Auditor #9

by Ard-Taoiseach Today at 1:52 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Nope. They have the Borg to sort them out. I could give them a ring, I hear their neighbourhood cube might be available this Tuesday.
Ard-Taoiseach
Part III: HP Laserjet 3005 Duplexer

Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2

Watch this topic for replies

Quick reply:

Dark Red
Red
Orange
Brown
Yellow
Green
Olive
Cyan
Blue
Dark Blue
Indigo
Violet
White
Black
Left
Center
Right
Justified
-List
Spoiler
Hidden

Ok

Ok
Dark Red
Red
Orange
Brown
Yellow
Green
Olive
Cyan
Blue
Dark Blue
Indigo
Violet
White
BlackLeft
Center
Right
Justified
-List
Spoiler
Hidden

Machine Nation :: Site Development and Editorial :: Site Development and Visitors Book
Page 2 of 2
Permissions of this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks cactus - you tried ! Ths white space seems to be gone now ... did EVM fix it last night in the middle of the night?

Look at your keyboard cactus at the keys on the top right hand side - do you see near the DEL key one with

PRTSCR
SYSRQ
?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Thanks cactus - you tried ! Ths white space seems to be gone now ... did EVM fix it last night in the middle of the night?

Look at your keyboard cactus at the keys on the top right hand side - do you see near the DEL key one with

PRTSCR
SYSRQ
?

The white space was still there when I posted that this morning. I kind of miss it now. I can see the printscreen key.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:52 am

Its still there on the home page, with the select topics or posts option thingy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 10:58 am

Have you got Paint open? You know Paint don't you - the Microsoft painting program? Why don't you open that? It'll be nice.

You're right - it is still there in the Homepage ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Space is gone on this page (page 2) but not on page 1. I did nothing.
I'm sure it's a HTML generation problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Have you got Paint open? You know Paint don't you - the Microsoft painting program? Why don't you open that? It'll be nice.

You're right - it is still there in the Homepage ...

You would like me to copy it on paint and paste onto this thread? Later I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Have we any way of backing up Machine Nation's threads?

Are they backed up in any way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next