Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Massive empty space below page

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Massive empty space below page Empty
PostSubject: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 am

Am I the only one who can scroll waay way down after the webpage ends?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:10 am

I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a few days. So no you are not!

Welcome to the site by the way! jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 am

This has been a feature of the site for a few days and is a pictorial representation of The Abyss. I always thought it was dark but no, it's white.

Ahem, the site is often undergoing maintenance and upgrades so I'm guessing it's that at the moment.

Or could be a tabula rasa?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:41 am

affraid Mind the GAAAAaaaaaa........p What a Face

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Shocked

Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad

pale

pale

Neutral

Shocked

What a Face

bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 am

It's not a tabula rasa. There is a lonely radio button control at the bottom-left corner, floating around in the ether, questioning its self-worth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:03 pm

This reminds me of one of those ice-breaker games 'this is not a big empty white space this is...'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Wasn't it Edgar Allen Poe who write about the terror of whiteness?

The below void reminds me of the DH Lawrence's descriptions of the alpine snow in Women in Love. Let's hope A#9 doesn't head out into the void, get lost and die a la Gerard Crich.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 pm

When did this start happening then ? It looks like it's trying to render some code but can't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:43 pm

Ah come on that would be enteraining (no offerce A #9)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:45 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
When did this start happening then ? It looks like it's trying to render some code but can't.

I'd say thursday or friday last. I had a quick look on the forumotion help site last night and scanned for 'white page' as the name of the issue and several came up but their problems sounded different - a complete white page on login. They were told it was fixed. I can go there again and post the details of this one if you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Let's not get rid of it. Since we have greenfingers Gerry Daly and Diarmuid Gavin knocking about this place we could landscape the white space. I think a water feature in amongst formal gardens, a few pergolae and a collonade would be splendid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Let's not get rid of it. Since we have greenfingers Gerry Daly and Diarmuid Gavin knocking about this place we could landscape the white space. I think a water feature in amongst formal gardens, a few pergolae and a collonade would be splendid.
Next we'll have Terry Wogan on here defending the blankety blank at the bottom - amazing how the internet reaches out to famous persons everywhere, eh?

Could it be a change in the portal that is causing it? I removed the statcounter for a while but that doesn't seem to have been affecting it. What about the moon-gadget? Should I delete that off the front for a while to see if it has any effect? If I forget to put it back on I won't know when I'll be going mental again the next time though.

Have you any ideas why it's there EVM? Just some massive update they're doing under the bonnet? Again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 pm

I've posted the question over on forumotion helpline and they asked to publish the CSS you wrote, EVM, for internet-wide scrutiny. It is, apparently, fine. I had to ask them where it was too...

Now they might try a few other tricks and Nessa cyclops has suggested backing up the forum and doing a restore to a previous time ... Will messages be lost? Will the words of the wise wither into the wilds of the web ???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm

"In White" by Robert Frost:

A dented spider like a snow drop white
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of lifeless satin cloth—
Saw ever curious eye so strange a sight?—
Portent in little, assorted death and blight
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth?—
The beady spider, the flower like a froth,
And the moth carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The blue prunella every child's delight.
What brought the kindred spider to that height?
(Make we no thesis of the miller's plight.)
What but design of darkness and of night?
Design, design! Do I use the word aright?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Massive empty space below page 10%20WHITE%20ALBUM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 pm

White wave ... silence

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Some ketracel white, crack cocaine for Jem'hadar...

Massive empty space below page Ketracelwhite_vials
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:22 pm

If I switch off the theme now, all the buttons will disappear again but it might fix it ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
If I switch off the theme now, all the buttons will disappear again but it might fix it ...

Is that the nuclear option?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you think the gap might be caused by the little extra button at the bottom? can that be deleted ? Sorry if this is a silly question. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Ewww!!! It's all purply and girly now!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm

Oh joy, I thought it may have been my lovely computer causing it.

anybody have one of those mobile broadband thingies? thinking of getting myself one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you think the gap might be caused by the little extra button at the bottom? can that be deleted ? Sorry if this is a silly question. Embarassed

What little extra button? It could so it's not a silly question at all. Are you using Internet Explorer? Ok I think I can find out if you are. Do you know how to do a screenprint?

Open Paint - mspaint
Scroll so you can see the little button you mention
Hit the PRT SCR key
Go to paint and press EDIT/PASTE
voilá - you'll see ... Smile

then save and upload file ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

What little extra button? It could so it's not a silly question at all. Are you using Internet Explorer? Ok I think I can find out if you are. Do you know how to do a screenprint?

Open Paint - mspaint
Scroll so you can see the little button you mention
Hit the PRT SCR key
Go to paint and press EDIT/PASTE
voilá - you'll see ... Smile

then save and upload file ..

It's this button, I think, cactus is referring to...

Display results as :
Posts Topics
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
"In White" by Robert Frost:

A dented spider like a snow drop white
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of lifeless satin cloth—
Saw ever curious eye so strange a sight?—
Portent in little, assorted death and blight
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth?—
The beady spider, the flower like a froth,
And the moth carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The blue prunella every child's delight.
What brought the kindred spider to that height?
(Make we no thesis of the miller's plight.)
What but design of darkness and of night?
Design, design! Do I use the word aright?

Hello ever closer union!

I think that poem also goes by the name Design in a different version. It's one of Frost's darker poems and I quite like it for that reason. I can't open another window now to link to it as I'm balancing my 3G thing precariously in a car park and will probably lose this page if I chance a second window - but you might check it out.

Cookie, hope the new job is great.

Mobile broadband is great, even many parts of Wesmeath close their airwaves to them. I had to drive a few miles and keep an eye on the coverage on my phone before I could find a spot I had coverage to send an important email in a hurry. Mine almost never lets me down, it works almost everywhere. That's two almosts - but it's better than that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Massive empty space below page   Massive empty space below page Empty

Back to top Go down

Massive empty space below page
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next