Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Incomprehensible News Headlines

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Incomprehensible News Headlines Empty
PostSubject: Incomprehensible News Headlines   Incomprehensible News Headlines EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm quite a fan of Iain Banks' Culture SF novels. Something he throws into them from time to time are incomprehensible news headlines, for that futuristic feel.

Reading the Register today, I was rather struck by this headline, which, transported back a mere decade or so, would make no sense whatsoever:

Quote :
Stretchy 'bucky-gel' promises touchscreen video-stockings
Interactive nano-Spandex iPants for all

Any other totally WTF headlines?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Incomprehensible News Headlines   Incomprehensible News Headlines EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Not very scientific but real:

Quote :
Ike beats Tina to death.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Incomprehensible News Headlines   Incomprehensible News Headlines EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Some funny ones HERE

And this nice piece of understatement

Quote :
The Irish Daily Mirror showed a gift for understatement when it reported: "The Children's Court was told that the 17-year-old from Coolock, Dublin, is charged with possession of a Luger calibre Keltec pistol and four rounds of 9mm ammunition in suspicious circumstances at his home on April 17th."l
Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Incomprehensible News Headlines   Incomprehensible News Headlines EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

ibis wrote:
I'm quite a fan of Iain Banks' Culture SF novels. Something he throws into them from time to time are incomprehensible news headlines, for that futuristic feel.

Reading the Register today, I was rather struck by this headline, which, transported back a mere decade or so, would make no sense whatsoever:

Quote :
Stretchy 'bucky-gel' promises touchscreen video-stockings
Interactive nano-Spandex iPants for all

Any other totally WTF headlines?
I'm currently rereading my Culture novels after about 10 years and they are the bee's knees. Will Machine Nation ultimately acquire sentience as Ireland's first Mind, or will it go like P.ie and become the Affront? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Incomprehensible News Headlines   Incomprehensible News Headlines Empty

Back to top Go down

Incomprehensible News Headlines
Page 1 of 1