Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

1000 Sandwiches

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:07 pm

#30 Tomato & mushroom toastie
smear salad cream (must be chef) on toast, cut mushrooms and tomato and place between slices. suprisingly good.

#31 rocket & cherry tomato
on brown bread, healthy and tasty!

i believe elvis used to cut a hole in a loaf, insert bacon and sausages and eat the entire loaf!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Ah, toasted sandwiches ... I think this is the first mushroom one, well done. What about mushroom pate? And do you fry your mushrooms first?

Quote :
Off-topic food tip #1
If you are cooking spaghetti or pasta and want to prepare it in advance then it is possible without it sticking together like God's glue! Simply cook it al-dente then cool it down with cold water until it's totally cold. Drain the water out and it won't be stuck together like chewing gum to your hair!

Re-heat it later simply by pouring boiling water into it and leaving it to heat up like Pot Noodles® !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 pm

fry very lightly, just to soften it a tad and encourage the juices to come out!

the toast should, if possible, be done on an aga range! the best!!!!

aside: anyone else destalk mushrooms, place a bit of salt into the centre of the mushroom and place on the hotplate of an aga. withing 5 mins the mushroom is full of juice. we used to get those as special treats as children. haven't had them in year....must do something about that!!!!

audi,
good idea with pasta. do you put pasta in boiling water and then simmer, or do you put pasta in warm water and bring to boil? haven't found the perfect method yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:49 pm

zakalwe wrote:

audi,
good idea with pasta. do you put pasta in boiling water and then simmer, or do you put pasta in warm water and bring to boil? haven't found the perfect method yet.

When cooking pasta I always use boiling water to cook the pasta in. Later to heat it up, the same.

The perfect method of cooking it is quite simple really once you obey the instructed cooking time. Always bring water to the boil first. No need for either salt or oil, either/both are only for taste.

The hard bit is to get all your spaghetti into the pot at around the same time; I use a fork where once the bottom of the spaghetti is soft and malleable, I coax the dry bits sticking out in too. Once it's all in I turn down to simmer but it's important that your water is energetic and spitting a bit.

I find that stirring a little with a fork seperates the strands and I poke it once or twice more during the 12-15 minute cooking time.

Cooking on a range is hard because of the heat control. This is what I grew up with and my mother still does it. I couldn't though I find the range is a cosy item in a kitchen. I'd say my mother's range is a Stanley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:21 pm

youngdan have you any sandwiches?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:20 pm

#32 Sweet chilli chicken & bacon sub (sorry, but I work in a Subway and this is what I have for lunch every day!)

Honey oat or Italian herb & cheese bread
Sweet chilli chicken (strips of chicken breast in a sweet chilli sauce)
Streaky bacon
Pepperjack cheese
Barbecue sauce
Toasted
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

You forgot the jalapeños. I'm a sucker for Subway® sweet chilli sandwiches. Their bread is always lovely and soft, their cheese .. mm.

Aren't you going to give your sub a number at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
You forgot the jalapeños. I'm a sucker for Subway® sweet chilli sandwiches. Their bread is always lovely and soft, their cheese .. mm.

You mean #32? It's already there. Unless you want me to buy my sub a phone (they grow up so fast)...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

You mean #32? It's already there. Unless you want me to buy my sub a phone (they grow up so fast)...
Oh so it is. Only 968 more to go now.

YOUNGDAN
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Quote :
aside: anyone else destalk mushrooms, place a bit of salt into the centre of the mushroom and place on the hotplate of an aga. withing 5 mins the mushroom is full of juice. we used to get those as special treats as children. haven't had them in year....must do something about that!!!!

YES!!!

Big fat, field mushrooms are the best (and they taste even better if you've picked them yourself. And the season is just upon us. My mother always cooks them on the bit of the fireplace that opens down (can't rem what it's called). Our fireplaces are still gaping holes but I do them on a griddle thing that came with the gas cooker, reading the paper and grazing - real slow food. They don't taste of ashes and soot, sadly - almost the best bit - but, they're almost as good. They're a meal all on their own. I suppose you cook them on top of the Aga? With sooty hacked-off pieces of bread toasted and slathered in salty butter they are a meal fit for a king (even a froggy one!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:38 am

I make my mushrooms with a little bit of butter and some black pepper. Black pepper does something wonderful to mushrooms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 12:52 am

#33 Sardine Sandwich

I remember a time when a sardine sandwich would have been a treat. I think they have been discontinued, but am putting them in here out of a vague sense of loyalty and nostalgia.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 am

When I was young we used to eat roast beef on Sundays. So for school on Monday and Tuesday i used to always get
#34 Roast Beef Sandwiches
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 am

AfricanDave wrote:
When I was young we used to eat roast beef on Sundays. So for school on Monday and Tuesday i used to always get
Were them the days when they didn't put stuffing in sandwiches? I think this touch is fairly recent and is still one I'm not sure of as it's a sandwich with bread again in the middle.

In Killarney there is a chipper which puts stuffing on your chips ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:
Were them the days when they didn't put stuffing in sandwiches? I think this touch is fairly recent and is still one I'm not sure of as it's a sandwich with bread again in the middle.

If you doubt the amazingness of stuffing in sandwiches it's because you haven't tried

#35 chicken and stuffing sandwiches
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 am

Is there stuffing in subway? I don't recall ever seeing it there. I've tried the stuffing on chips and I like it.

Now why does chicken go so well with bread? Chicken and mayonnaise with lettuce in bread is very good and chicken itself is stuffed with bread.

I don't know why I'm dwelling on this now I'm just after having two

#36 Onion garlic and potato omelette sandwiches
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:

This is my problem with the stuffing sandwich - it's a bread sandwich. I don't eat them myself, but my sister in law eats them every time she sees stuffing and gravy left over from dinner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Technically a sandwich (in the sense of an ice-cream between two wafers is - an "Iceberg"?)

#37 Scone, jam and cream
Perfect for this time of the morning with a cuppa tay.

There's a risk we'll repeat what we've already been over now I fear .. I'll have to do a summary at 50.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 pm

If you cook a punnet of raspberries over a very slow heat with a spoon of caster sugar for about ten minutes, you get the most sublime raspberry jammy stuff. Jam is too cheap a word for it. And it's divine on rice pudding.

And if you can get clotted cream with that raspberry elixir and a really fresh warm scone, there is nothing more yummy.

Have we had egg sandwiches yet?

#38 World's Best Egg Sandwich

Sliced grinder bread, really fresh, buttered.
boiled eggs - half chopped, half mashed, still warm with a little mayonnaise, black pepper, mustard cress (not mustard EVM), and a little chopped scallion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Kate P wrote:
If you cook a punnet of raspberries over a very slow heat with a spoon of caster sugar for about ten minutes, you get the most sublime raspberry jammy stuff. Jam is too cheap a word for it. And it's divine on rice pudding.

And if you can get clotted cream with that raspberry elixir and a really fresh warm scone, there is nothing more yummy.

Have we had egg sandwiches yet?

#38 World's Best Egg Sandwich

Sliced grinder bread, really fresh, buttered.
boiled eggs - half chopped, half mashed, still warm with a little mayonnaise, black pepper, mustard cress (not mustard EVM), and a little chopped scallion.

i do the same with strawberries!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm

I think, Zakalwe, that we should set up a foraging thread about mushrooms and homemade jam and such like. Cactus flower would get involved too I'm sure.

The blackberries are out, after all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Kate P wrote:
I think, Zakalwe, that we should set up a foraging thread about mushrooms and homemade jam and such like. Cactus flower would get involved too I'm sure.

indeed. joyfully discovered that the builders in my estate planted a large row of raspberry brambles at the back of the estate which no-one else seems to know about. i've filled about 2 bags of them (under the covert cover of darkness!).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 pm

zakalwe wrote:
Kate P wrote:

indeed. joyfully discovered that the builders in my estate planted a large row of raspberry brambles at the back of the estate which no-one else seems to know about. i've filled about 2 bags of them (under the covert cover of darkness!).

The blackberries really are good this year, if you can get down to Cork. It is too cold where we live. I stopped yesterday and filled half a "bag for life": jam for the rest of the year.

I envy you the raspberries, the most delicate and delicious tasting of all the soft fruit. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 am

In Spain, you can get amazing hot pork sandwiches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 am

cactus flower wrote:
In Spain, you can get amazing hot pork sandwiches.

They have meat called 'lomo' which is warmed roast pork I guess. Hmm - lovely and simple with some pan and maybe a few little gotos of aceite d'oliva.

They have lovely stuff called 'sobresada' which is a paste made from pounded chorizo. Hmm .. yum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

1000 Sandwiches
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next