Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

1000 Sandwiches

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 am

#21 Bread and jam really need butter to complete the circle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:57 am

AfricanDave wrote:
English mustard is very strong. You only need a very small amount on the tip of the knife. It's not like French or American mustard which can be dolloped on in the same kind of quantities as ketchup.
Coleman's comes in a small jar with a yellow label.
It is delicious though.

Thank you for explaining that AfricanDave. English mustard even in tiny quantities is an aquired taste. There have been many nasty accidents in which people have applied it with a spoon. bom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:59 am

I've made the spoon mistake myself in the past. Only once though, it's not something that can happen twice too easily. I have a love of sauces, like ketchup and bbq sauce etc, so the first time I put mustard on a sandwich I went all out as if it was ketchup.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:02 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I've made the spoon mistake myself in the past. Only once though, it's not something that can happen twice too easily. I have a love of sauces, like ketchup and bbq sauce etc, so the first time I put mustard on a sandwich I went all out as if it was ketchup.

affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:03 am

It smells so innocent!!
At least if the mustard smelled as strong as it tastes these kind of unfortunate accidents could be avoided.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:09 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Some very posh sangidges in that lot. Far from dijon mustard and smoked salmon I was born. Razz

Mate, a couple of days in Butlins and another couple of days in Bundoran were major family holidays!! ... Dijon mustard comes much much later, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:15 am

Atticus wrote:
Some very posh sangidges in that lot. Far from dijon mustard and smoked salmon I was born. Razz

Mate, a couple of days in Butlins and another couple of days in Bundoran were major family holidays!! ... Dijon mustard comes much much later, doesn't it?

Butlins ? Shocked You lucky lucky bastard. (credit to Monty Python)

I'd say I was at least 20 before encountering Dijon Mustard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:21 am

* huh, holds head high, sucks lemon if feels like it *

... poshie from Meath, always looked down on your neighbouring counties didn't you, I was at least 28 before I encountered Dijon mustard ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:24 am

I was around 20 before I even knew there were types of mustard in existence other than Colemans
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I was around 20 before I even knew there were types of mustard in existence other than Colemans

"Other kinds of mustard" ? Shocked ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 2:41 am

I should bring you to Fortnum and Mason cactus - you would have great fun.

1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 56100664_f790633340
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 am

Atticus wrote:

You got mayonnaise going to Butlins! - Mayonnaise didn't hit my end of the Midlands for years and we were resolutely salad cream eaters.

When we went on school tours my mother used to make this yummy ... paste, I can't really, honestly call it anything else, by cooking some ham and whacking some of it and some tomatoes into the liquidiser (very 80s) - I can still taste it now.

There were also sugar sandwiches - anyone else have them?

I remind Mr P that the presence of Chef brown sauce is a measure of the great love I bear him - surely worth half of his farm. Wink Brown sauce is noxious stuff. *shudder*
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:16 am

No way !
It is utterly impossible to consume sausages without brown sauce.
End of. Razz

#22 Sausages and Brown Sauce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 am

No way !
It is utterly impossible to consume sausages without brown sauce.
End of. Razz

#22 Sausages and Brown Sauce.
This is my father's recipe and one I stomached easily before ... however, I'm a brown sauce aristocrat now and appreciate the HP stuff and find the other stuff very pedestrian and full of vinegar... yech.

Jaysus I'm dying for a sausage sambo now between two slices of crusty fluffy white panloaf ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm

This thread has been a great success so far. I haven't had to cook a proper meal for days. Avocado and tiger prawn on brown, yesterday,

23 # black pudding and grilled tomatoes on granary today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 pm

AfricanDave wrote:

Made the mistake quite recently - heavily mustarded ham sandwich, which was no problem until I incautiously inhaled, and enjoyed a WWI lung experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 10:23 pm

1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 225px-1930s_gas_mask

Better wear this next time. Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

HP brown sauce is different as I think it has a lot less vinegar - or tastier vinegar if it has some. HP is more like a chutney but not very ... it is spicy and good for you.
Is it, or is it good for you in the sense that 7up's supposed to be good for you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 6:16 pm

905 wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

HP brown sauce is different as I think it has a lot less vinegar - or tastier vinegar if it has some. HP is more like a chutney but not very ... it is spicy and good for you.
Is it, or is it good for you in the sense that 7up's supposed to be good for you?

What about #24 the BLT ? - The Classic

Grilled bacon
Crispy lettuce
Sliced tomato
Mayonaise

Between two slices of white bread - toasted if you like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 pm

The BLT - how did we take so long to come around to it? I'm a sucker for them on Ryanair flights where you hand over €4.60 for one. Who cares? They're lovely in the nutty granary sliced pan they have.

Just after you've finished your BLT then, if you are able, you should treat yourself to another classic as dessert

#25 Peanut-butter and Jelly

Peanut butter
Strawberry Jam
Bread

Sticks to your gob, lips, teeth is sweet and savoury and WARNING:CONTAINS NUTS. Yum yum yum though - an underrated classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
The BLT - how did we take so long to come around to it? I'm a sucker for them on Ryanair flights where you hand over €4.60 for one. Who cares? They're lovely in the nutty granary sliced pan they have.

Just after you've finished your BLT then, if you are able, you should treat yourself to another classic as dessert

#25 Peanut-butter and Jelly

Peanut butter
Strawberry Jam
Bread

Sticks to your gob, lips, teeth is sweet and savoury and WARNING:CONTAINS NUTS. Yum yum yum though - an underrated classic.

#26 Poached Salmon on Brown

Fresh poached salmon with just a bit of Helman's between two slices of brown.

Got one of these in a garage last week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 4:42 pm

We haven't had many fish ones yet but I'll introduce another one now:

#27 Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel

This used to be one of my favourites from Bendini & Shaw on the Green when I worked nearby. Is the old shoppe still there I dunno?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 5:01 pm

This sandwich is now illegal

#28 Squeeeezeey Cheeeze.

Primula (Cheese in a tin tube) (Toothpaste Cheese) at one time produced an onion variety which, when applied to pan bread extremely liberally and heated in microwave until a skin formed on the paste, dragged me through my teenage traumas despite the temperature below the membrane reaching a kelvin akin to the surface of the sun. When I think back however, I can't believe that I actually ate bread, the very thought! Anyone thinking they might recreate the dish using another onion based soft processed cheese, forget it, it can't be done. You can try Primula's Chives, Ham, Shrimp or original whilst listening to a CD of scallions but it just won't be the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

lukedelmege wrote:
This sandwich is now illegal

#28 Squeeeezeey Cheeeze.

Primula (Cheese in a tin tube) (Toothpaste Cheese) at one time produced an onion variety which, when applied to pan bread extremely liberally and heated in microwave until a skin formed on the paste, dragged me through my teenage traumas despite the temperature below the membrane reaching a kelvin akin to the surface of the sun. When I think back however, I can't believe that I actually ate bread, the very thought! Anyone thinking they might recreate the dish using another onion based soft processed cheese, forget it, it can't be done. You can try Primula's Chives, Ham, Shrimp or original whilst listening to a CD of scallions but it just won't be the same.

That sounds as about as attractive as these:

#29 Marmite sandwiches

White pan, with butter and a very light smear of marmite, squashed a bit.

Most people I think hate Marmite aka Vegemite, but it has saved many an insolvent student from starvation, and a pot keeps for decades provided you screw the lid down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
We haven't had many fish ones yet but I'll introduce another one now:

#27 Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel

This used to be one of my favourites from Bendini & Shaw on the Green when I worked nearby. Is the old shoppe still there I dunno?

Don't think so, Audi. Maybe it's Insomnia now? I liked Bendini and Shaw too though to be honest, I've an aversion to shop-bought sandwiches - and a horror of margarine in sandwiches or wodges of indefinable butter stuff, and I hate those plastic containers that are really environmentally unfriendly. M&S have cardboard ones that are much friendlier.

On bagels, I've yet to be converted. All that chewing, so little actual flavour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

1000 Sandwiches
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next