Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Looking for some friendly advice.......

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Looking for some friendly advice....... Empty
PostSubject: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:44 am

I'm selling my house at the moment. affraid

I have it on the market for about 5 weeks now and have only had one solitary visit. Its a nice house(I think) but with prices falling so fast I'm not sure if I'm being realistic with the price.

www.11fairways.blogspot.com

what do you guys think???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:48 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:

I have it on the market for about 5 weeks now and have only had one solitary visit. Its a nice house(I think) but with prices falling so fast I'm not sure if I'm being realistic with the price.

In all seriousness , Johnny, if you get ten grand less than you thought you'd get , I'd sell it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:51 am

It is a very difficult climate for selling houses at the moment. Alot of people are suffering as a result, as you can well imagine.

It is however worth choosing your selling agent wisely. You want your property as accessible as possible for people looking for a house. There are many estate agents now which are ditching the shop window style business for cheaper office block buildings because all their initial interactions are online. Is the house being listed on myhome.ie , daft.ie and other such websites as well as in the newspapers?

Other than that all I can say is best of luck and I hope you aren't under pressure to sell. I know in Britain the traditional length of time a property is on the market is several months, rather than days as has often seemed the case here recently. We are probably just heading to a situation like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:53 am

johnfás wrote:
It is a very difficult climate for selling houses at the moment. Alot of people are suffering as a result, as you can well imagine.

It is however worth choosing your selling agent wisely. You want your property as accessible as possible for people looking for a house. There are many estate agents now which are ditching the shop window style business for cheaper office block buildings because all their initial interactions are online. Is the house being listed on myhome.ie , daft.ie and other such websites as well as in the newspapers?

Other than that all I can say is best of luck and I hope you aren't under pressure to sell. I know in Britain the traditional length of time a property is on the market is several months, rather than days as has often seemed the case here recently. We are probably just heading to a situation like that.

No, I'm under no pressure. We were going to go off to live in Spain. I've a pain in me hole with this weather and I fancy the sun on my bones for a few years but if it does'nt happen sooner, it'll happen later.
Spain aint going anywhere. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
johnfás wrote:

No, I'm under no pressure. We were going to go off to live in Spain. I've a pain in me hole with this weather and I fancy the sun on my bones for a few years but if it does'nt happen sooner, it'll happen later.
Spain aint going anywhere. Smile

After seeing the photos Johnny I can understand how you feel but hang in there. You might be a PD but your my favourite PD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
After seeing the photos Johnny I can understand how you feel but hang in there. You might be a PD but your my favourite PD.

Laughing
My favourite line amongst my friends here is Donabate is
I'm the only PD in the village in my best little britain voice. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:

It does look a nice house. I sold a house in a similar market (although a bit earlier). I sold it at €10,000 less than other sellers were asking for a similar house and it sold in three weeks. The market is still going down and mortgages getting scarcer. The Spanish market is going down too - if you sold in Dublin quickly, held on to cash and rent in Spain for a year and then bought in Spain it might work out well for you. Good luck with it, anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:07 am

cactus flower wrote:
Johnny Keogh wrote:

It does look a nice house. I sold a house in a similar market (although a bit earlier). I sold it at €10,000 less than other sellers were asking for a similar house and it sold in three weeks. The market is still going down and mortgages getting scarcer. The Spanish market is going down too - if you sold in Dublin quickly, held on to cash and rent in Spain for a year and then bought in Spain it might work out well for you. Good luck with it, anyway.

the very plan cactus flower. Cool I might have left it too late but we'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:08 am

If you had timed it really well you could probably have sold here, moved there for a couple of years, moved back and bought your house back again and still made a profit Smile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:08 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Laughing

Funny that the Irish for Wales is 'An Bhreatain Bheag' meaning little Britain. There still is a little britain st in Dublin as the continuation of Parnell St.(formerly great britain st.).....and where I come from mcdowell would have been known as a little brit.

Alll the best with the flood repairs...genuinely
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:10 am

Quote :

I second that.

But since you're looking for a little friendly advice and this is entirely my personal opinion, I'd re-write your blurb in a less personalised but still slightly personal style and more positively (only two extra rooms?) - in other words, in a style closer to what people expect when reading sales guides.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:10 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Laughing

And you are leaving?! And you keep telling me they're not in decline! I demand that you stay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 am

It depends on how the figures pan out, but probably the selling price will be right when you feel it is too low. I had the luck of a very bright young auctioneer setting me straight and took the pain. You might be lucky enough to find one who will give you honest information about the price at which it will sell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 pm

I have an idea. Why don't we all chip in a few grand, buy Johnny's House and declare it the physical realm of the Machine Nation? As citizens we would all have the right to live there, we'd just work out a rota here on the site. It'd also be our Irish embassy since we would in fact be an independent state.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:02 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I have an idea. Why don't we all chip in a few grand, buy Johnny's House and declare it the physical realm of the Machine Nation? As citizens we would all have the right to live there, we'd just work out a rota here on the site. It'd also be our Irish embassy since we would in fact be an independent state.

I could always raffle it. Idea
What would be a fair price for a ticket? A grand?
450 tickets. bingo. pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:06 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I could always raffle it. Idea
What would be a fair price for a ticket? A grand?
450 tickets. bingo. pirat

That's not a bad idea. It's a cheap and easy way to off-load a house in today's depressed market. It also sidesteps the financing problems potential purchasers are having in trying to get €300k out of the banks to buy their 1st/2nd home. You don't need a mortgage for a 1 grand ticket.

Try out the raffle idea. It's worth a go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am

Not bad odds either really. It is the equivalent of doing the lotto every week for a year but the odds are only 450-1 whereas the lottery odds are up around 8 million to one. There is also a guaranteed winner in a raffle whereas there isn't in a lottery.

There are however taxation issues. You don't pay capital gains tax on the sale of a family home but you would potentially be caught up in all sorts of taxation issues if you raffled it off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 am

johnfás wrote:

There are however taxation issues. You don't pay capital gains tax on the sale of a family home but you would potentially be caught up in all sorts of taxation issues if you raffled it off.

Is there not some good accountancy legerdemain which could render it tax free? Would donating a portion of the proceeds to charity negate the tax liability?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:33 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Is there not some good accountancy legerdemain which could render it tax free? Would donating a portion of the proceeds to charity negate the tax liability?

I'm not a taxation guru, but I have done a bit, and I would say that you would probably have to be a charity yourself in order to negate your tax liability. It would be a very complicated situation because the house would be sold essentially for a neglible amount, i.e. 1,000 euro, but the profit on the overall transaction would be far larger. I would assume that the tax burden would be bourne on the profit made from the raffle, which would be considerable and therefore possibly not worthwhile. I wouldn't know for sure though?

Has anyone ever seen a house raffled?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
I have it on the market for about 5 weeks now and have only had one solitary visit.
Don't know what it is like in Dublin at the moment, but in Galway it seems like not one house has sold for the last six months.
I'm in the market to buy myself, and we are taking our time.

There was something on The Pin a few weeks ago about a fella trying to raffle a house using Ebay. I think it was decided to be illegal. Don't you need permission from the Gardai to hold a raffle?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I have an idea. Why don't we all chip in a few grand, buy Johnny's House and declare it the physical realm of the Machine Nation?
Very Happy Love it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm

I didn't know that you could hold raffles on ebay, is it not an auction site?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:15 pm

johnfás wrote:
I didn't know that you could hold raffles on ebay, is it not an auction site?
You can't.
Yer man was selling tickets on ebay. The tickets entered you in the raffle.
Ebay closed it down, I think, because they don't allow raffle tickets to be sold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Is it on daft or myhome?

The website is very well done, but people search for property using daft/myhome, not google.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
not sure if I'm being realistic with the price.
Well you don't tell us the price.. but if you want me to be honest and tell you what I'd pay if that house were in Knocknacarra/Ballybrit I'll tell you.

Of course the estate agent will tell you too, and would have a better idea than I.
But be warned, right now the biggest problem estate agents have is sellers not accepting low prices. I hate to say it but you may have to shift your expectations downwards. On the other hand, I don't know what your expectation is, so perhaps I'm being unfair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for some friendly advice.......   Looking for some friendly advice....... Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for some friendly advice.......
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next