Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Films for Lads

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Films for Lads - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 pm

The Big Lebowski - I think the focus on sport (bowling), drugs, bachelor life, comedic lads banter (John Goodman the converted Jew, John Turturo the Bowler), comedic lads fighting (nihilists), dream sequences of girls legs and so forth make this a lads movie. One of my favourites of all time.

Once Upon a Time in the West - a classic western with guns and tough loners. They help a woman struggling against an evil enemy as well. Good one liners before death and destruction is neted out as well. The exchange about the horses at the begninning is fantastic.

The Great Escape - Men bonding and fighting together through success and tragedy. War, heroism and the absence of women make this a man's film.

Starship Troopers - Classic parody on the war fim genre and on propaganda generally. Pleanty gore, mass destruction, technology and sci fi to entertain the 12 year old boy and plenty of eye-candy and irony to entertain the fourteen year-old upwards.

Terminator I - Excellent film of one man againt the odds. The woman is a little bit helpless to begin with and the baddie is bad to the bone. Sci-fi, time travel, guns a go go, murder of the innocents and cool killer.

Highlander - The film is basically based around a series of one on one battles between the male protagonists. There is a bad baddie, a good goodie and a few helpless women. Throw in the escapism of immortality and you have a film for the lads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
The Big Lebowski - I think the focus on sport (bowling), drugs, bachelor life, comedic lads banter (John Goodman the converted Jew, John Turturo the Bowler), comedic lads fighting (nihilists), dream sequences of girls legs and so forth make this a lads movie. One of my favourites of all time.

Once Upon a Time in the West - a classic western with guns and tough loners. They help a woman struggling against an evil enemy as well. Good one liners before death and destruction is neted out as well. The exchange about the horses at the begninning is fantastic.

The Great Escape - Men bonding and fighting together through success and tragedy. War, heroism and the absence of women make this a man's film.

Starship Troopers - Classic parody on the war fim genre and on propaganda generally. Pleanty gore, mass destruction, technology and sci fi to entertain the 12 year old boy and plenty of eye-candy and irony to entertain the fourteen year-old upwards.

Terminator I - Excellent film of one man againt the odds. The woman is a little bit helpless to begin with and the baddie is bad to the bone. Sci-fi, time travel, guns a go go, murder of the innocents and cool killer.

Highlander - The film is basically based around a series of one on one battles between the male protagonists. There is a bad baddie, a good goodie and a few helpless women. Throw in the escapism of immortality and you have a film for the lads.

100% Zhou. These pass my "lads film" test of total unwatchability.

Note the difference between "Starship Troopers" - Lads Film and "Mars Attacks" also gory and satirical, but a Persons Film.

This thread is turning out to be even more interesting than I thought it would.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:46 pm

King of New York
Traffic
At Close Range
Scarface
Apocalypse Now
Downfall
Stalingrad

not necessarily in that order
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
King of New York
Traffic
At Close Range
Scarface
Apocalypse Now
Downfall
Stalingrad

not necessarily in that order
I must be a nerd so as I'd find those boring but ... this weekend I'd like to see

The Clone Wars
Hellboy II
Wall-E

I'd even watch Harry Potter if it was on.

What about undercover cop films? I like those as they are filled with tension of the highest order
Donny Brasco
Narc

Also
Training Day (not undercover)
The Departed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Serpico?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Films for Lads
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4