Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Booze Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The Booze Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 2:53 am

I know someone who gets like that, but on red wine. Terrible really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Any drinks out there people tend to stay away from at all costs (apart from johnfas and Jager)? I don't like to drink vodka as, even though it's a cheap way to get absolutely pissed, I tend to get very rowdy on it and sometimes do things I am later embarrassed about. I have even become slightly aggressive after consuming much vodka, which is not me at all.

I have also ruined peach schnapps for myself after getting absolutely destroyed on it one night at a house party (I was drinking it straight as part of a drinking game; which, by the way, should only ever be played with beer). As well as having to clean up the mess the next morning (and borrow a friend's shirt), I now feel violently nauseous at the smell or taste of peach, schnapps or otherwise.

Stopped drinking straight double-whiskeys about ten years ago, tended to get a little aggressive on it. I'm normally a mild-mannered chap, but friends noticed that whiskey made me way more argumentative and a bit of a tit generally. Only have the one or two on the rare occasions I drink it at all since then.

I had that, but it only lasted a couple of years (!). Still avoiding bourbon, though.

I was infallibly right about everything ever, and nobody but nobody was allowed to disagree, and would be hectored until they did agree with me. Kind of like your average SWP member, but less slurring and finger-pointing than them...
I'm always like that when I'm drunk, people don't seem to have a problem with it though. They find it funny more than anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:21 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:
Any drinks out there people tend to stay away from at all costs (apart from johnfas and Jager)? I don't like to drink vodka as, even though it's a cheap way to get absolutely pissed, I tend to get very rowdy on it and sometimes do things I am later embarrassed about. I have even become slightly aggressive after consuming much vodka, which is not me at all.

I have also ruined peach schnapps for myself after getting absolutely destroyed on it one night at a house party (I was drinking it straight as part of a drinking game; which, by the way, should only ever be played with beer). As well as having to clean up the mess the next morning (and borrow a friend's shirt), I now feel violently nauseous at the smell or taste of peach, schnapps or otherwise.

Stopped drinking straight double-whiskeys about ten years ago, tended to get a little aggressive on it. I'm normally a mild-mannered chap, but friends noticed that whiskey made me way more argumentative and a bit of a tit generally. Only have the one or two on the rare occasions I drink it at all since then.

I had that, but it only lasted a couple of years (!). Still avoiding bourbon, though.

I was infallibly right about everything ever, and nobody but nobody was allowed to disagree, and would be hectored until they did agree with me. Kind of like your average SWP member, but less slurring and finger-pointing than them...

One memory is of poking the bouncer at Oil Can Harry's in the chest (it was the easiest bit of him to reach, and I'm six foot) and telling him that people like him were part of the reason global warming was a problem, because they didn't give a shit about the issues.

Of course, that was actually well after the worst of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 am

ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:

One memory is of poking the bouncer at Oil Can Harry's in the chest (it was the easiest bit of him to reach, and I'm six foot) and telling him that people like him were part of the reason global warming was a problem, because they didn't give a shit about the issues.

I think that was a totally reasonable thing to do, and quite logical. Bouncers are the primary cause of CO2 emissions between 11pm and 2am...

In my case, with a London accent, I really didn't endear myself to bouncers at all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:

I think that was a totally reasonable thing to do, and quite logical. Bouncers are the primary cause of CO2 emissions between 11pm and 2am...

In my case, with a London accent, I really didn't endear myself to bouncers at all...

You have a London accent? Snap. Which bit?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:28 am

ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:

Well actually about 20 miles north, but lived in New Cross (evil place) for a while too. And my girlfriend lived in Pinner for ten years as a kid, though Cork born.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:32 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:

Well actually about 20 miles north, but lived in New Cross (evil place) for a while too. And my girlfriend lived in Pinner for ten years as a kid, though Cork born.

Mine is RP, and becomes much more pronounced when I'm drunk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:36 am

ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:

My brother is the opposite (he's still there), he speaks well sober, though with an accent, but then turns into a weird cross between Kenneth Williams and Chas and Dave when slaughtered. He's weird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:41 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:

My brother is the opposite (he's still there), he speaks well sober, though with an accent, but then turns into a weird cross between Kenneth Williams and Chas and Dave when slaughtered. He's weird.

All brothers are weird. One of mine votes Sinn Fein, and can't hold his drink worth a damn. Three pints and he's legless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:44 am

ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:

All brothers are weird. One of mine votes Sinn Fein, and can't hold his drink worth a damn. Three pints and he's legless.
Virtually all my cousins on the Donegal side are Shinners, I just bite my lip when they start singing 'Ra' songs, Donegal is not the right place to quibble...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:46 am

toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
ibis wrote:

Virtually all my cousins on the Donegal side are Shinners, I just bite my lip when they start singing 'Ra' songs, Donegal is not the right place to quibble...

I remember cheering the English rugby team against the Irish in a pub in Donegal. That would have been in the mid-Eighties, mind, and Ireland were shite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:47 am

You both have London accents ? Does one of you speak like Michael Caine ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 am

Michael Caine has a good accent.

This thread is almost like the Sibín II... is a merger/acquistion in order?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:49 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

More like either Kenneth Branagh or - I like to think - Ian McKellen. Kate P could comment.

Last edited by ibis on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Not quite, I toned it down a lot when I moved here, nobody understood me before that. The irony of Cork people having a problem with my accent was not lost on me. I sometimes still just have to leave when surrounded by Norries virtually singing to each other...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:57 am

johnfás wrote:

I don't know ... maybe it's like drinking around the barrel of hot coals ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:05 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

The Sibín is a state of mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:13 am

ibis wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

The Sibín is a state of mind.

Aye. The lovely thing about the forum format is that it requires more imagination than other media communication forms. The images you get while reading your first books are often echoed in this format which is a good thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:13 am

Ignore johnfas's talk about mergers and acquisitions, he's just trying to create employment for himself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:15 am

evercloserunion wrote:
Ignore johnfas's talk about mergers and acquisitions, he's just trying to create employment for himself!

Can't blame a guy for trying... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 am

Where's riven. With all that stuff he had in the Sibin yesterday, he should be just about waking up now. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Ah jagermeister, deadly stuff.
On a visit to Munich a few years ago, one of the highlights was a drunken meeting with Jagi the Jagermeister Moose and his scantily clad Jagerettes. Smile

I don't touch the stuff any more. Actually I'm a kind of "three pints and he's legless" kind of fellow. A lightweight!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 pm

toxic avenger wrote:

Is that Pinner in Harrow ? I lived there for a couple of years in the olden days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Is that Pinner in Harrow ? I lived there for a couple of years in the olden days.

Yep, she went to Nower Hill Comprehensive, and lived on the same road as the bloke who played Poirot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:32 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Not quite, I toned it down a lot when I moved here, nobody understood me before that. The irony of Cork people having a problem with my accent was not lost on me. I sometimes still just have to leave when surrounded by Norries virtually singing to each other...

Smile Smile Smile

Go weigh outta dat boyee!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Booze Thread
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next