Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Star Trek: The Search for Answers

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Star Trek: The Search for Answers Empty
PostSubject: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:07 am

I haven't done a Star Trek quiz in ages so I'm going to set another one now. The prize for the most correct answers is a weekend trip for two to Risa with 500 strips of latinum spending money.

1.The Grand Nagus leads which civilisation?

2.What is this?

Star Trek: The Search for Answers Kling-ship01

3.Hikaru Sulu is played by which actor?

4.What rank does Data have in Star Trek: The Next Generation?

5.Galor, Legate, Gul

What links the above three words?

6.What is this?

Star Trek: The Search for Answers Medtri1

7.What class was the USS Melbourne?

8.What is Lisbon's importance to the UFP?

9.What is the capital of the UFP?

10.What was the first episode of Star Trek: Voyager?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:09 am

Can I play? Please?

Maybe I'll just pm you my answers to maintain the gravitas of the thread for the time being?

Grovel, grovel...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am

Kate P wrote:
Can I play? Please?

Maybe I'll just pm you my answers to maintain the gravitas of the thread for the time being?

Grovel, grovel...

Oh, you can play away Kate P. PMing your answers to me would be great. It'd be like a preview.

I'll think up a Feature Prize for yourself as well!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 am

No8 has to be a reference to Ireland's rejection of the treaty and as a result the EU evolved into the UFP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 am

Squire wrote:
No8 has to be a reference to Ireland's rejection of the treaty and as a result the EU evolved into the UFP.

Dang, my ruse is foiled! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:44 am

It is all a French plot because they get the Presidency.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 am

Number 2 is a Romulan vessel, and Number 6 is that thing the doctor uses to scan people.
I think the answer to Number 4 is Lieutenant.
That's the extent of my knowledge of Star Trek.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I haven't done a Star Trek quiz in ages so I'm going to set another one now. The prize for the most correct answers is a weekend trip for two to Risa with 500 strips of latinum spending money.

The Ferengi, which I believe is tagalog for Foreigners.
Quote :

2.What is this?

Klingon Warbird.

Quote :

George Takkei.

Quote :

Haven't a donkey's notion.

Quote :

5.Galor, Legate, Gul

Are they military and political ranks in Cardassia?

Quote :

6.What is this?

A medical tri-quarter?

Quote :

Pff

Quote :

pff

Quote :

San Francisco?
Quote :

Was it Caretaker?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 2:37 am

It's a Klingon vessel?
Damn. I thought it was the guys with the big weird foreheads. They are Romulans, aren't they?
I know Klingons have weird foreheads as well but the Romulans ones are weirder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 8:03 pm

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

The Ferengi, which I believe is tagalog for Foreigners.
Quote :

2.What is this?

Klingon Warbird.

Quote :

George Takkei.

Quote :

Haven't a donkey's notion.

Quote :

5.Galor, Legate, Gul

Quote :

6.What is this?

A medical tri-quarter?

Quote :

Pff

Quote :

pff

Quote :

San Francisco?
Quote :

Was it Caretaker?

Very Happy Go hiontach riadach!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:33 am

Does anyone else want to have a go at the quiz?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 am

Is data a commander?

Any chance is melbourne an intrepid class? It's the only one I remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

riadach wrote:
Is data a commander?

He's not far off commander rank.

Quote :
Any chance is melbourne an intrepid class? It's the only one I remember.

Afraid not, Intrepids are slightly more modern than the USS Melbourne.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 6:55 pm

Tempted to wikipedia it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm

riadach wrote:
Tempted to wikipedia it.

Well, you're on fairly strong grounds anyway. I wish others would have a go. Some of the answers can come if you just think a bit. I hope Kate P gives her unique view on the world of Trek as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Just looked the melbourne up on the star trek wiki (I'm really not this sad, I swear) and it is one who-er of a question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 am

riadach wrote:
Just looked the melbourne up on the star trek wiki (I'm really not this sad, I swear)

Ah now, you're not sad for looking at the Star Trek wiki. MA is a great resource on all things Trek.

Quote :
and it is one who-er of a question.

Mmm. I know! Smile I'm hoping stannis has a go and gets it right!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Additions   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 4:34 pm

[quote="Ard-Taoiseach"]
riadach wrote:

Leuitenant commander also chief con officer

Quote :

5.Galor, Legate, Gul

Yes and no. A Gul is strictly a military rank. Legates and Galors may command a vessel but usually they command fleets and only carry a flag. The political involvement increases from Gul (almost 0) to Galor (almost 100%)

Quote :

I guess an olympic class?

Quote :

Lisbon I believe is the town where the main power source for the Earths planetary defense systems are. This was sabotaged by red squad in DS( paradise lost)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Your views on this, Ard Taoiseach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 2:14 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Your views on this, Ard Taoiseach?

They are somewhat correct, I shall endeavour to award prizes at a ceremony in an Sibín Reoite tonight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 1:31 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

A branch of the Ancient Neanderthals and closely related - by marriage obviously, to the Nagthem and Nagthemsenseless tribes of Central Europe. The civilisation in question is Homo Sap.

Quote :
2.What is this?

I can't be sure, but I think they're for sale in Romulan sex shops..?

Quote :

With a name like that, it must be the guy who played Mr Miyagi, the Wise Karate Expert in Karate Kid; a kind of Han Solo for Asia?

Star Trek: The Search for Answers 250px-Pat-Morita_(Karate_Kid)

Quote :

Depends on whether it's paper (very 20th century and therefore lowranking) or cutting edge computerish (very Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 century and therefore highranking)

Star Trek: The Search for Answers Duck_dodgers-show

Quote :
5.Galor, Legate, Gul

They're all folk singer songwriters of the stratosphere. They don't bother with the low sperm count pants and 'look ma, I got the hang of cutting tinfoil into interesting shapes to stick on my chest and arms' sweaters in matching tones. Galor's biggest selling hit was 'Where have all the asteroids gone, long time passing.' Legate, more in the Dylan vein than either of the other two is best known for his album of lyre-accompanied self-penned social critiques such as Celestial Homesick Blues. Gul is less well known as an artist but he has done a folksy version of the Frames Star Star teach me how to shine, teach me so I know what's going on in your mind.' He did a good job on it too, for a guy with a haircut like Glen Hansard's. There was a time when you couldn't set foot on the international space station without hearing some wannabe empyrean hero humming the chorus as Jean Luc strode past.

Quote :
6.What is this?

What is it with the sex toys this round, A-T? Same as the last time. This one's remote, obviously.

Quote :

According to Wikipedia, Carl Linneaus tried repeatedly to find the correct spot for the USS Melbourne in the Spaceships section of Species Planatarum. In latter years there have been arguments in Spaceship Trader emagazine about it's exact class and therefore resale value on the open market. Those who have seen the USS Melbourne hanging around the Red Star District of Space feel she has no class at all. The Kate P jury is therefore out on this one.

Quote :

494,000,000 people in Europe don't give a shit about Lisbon, what makes you think the UFP are any different?

Quote :

Who knows? Ryanair don't fly there.

Quote :
'This one's going to run and run...'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Did I miss the prize-giving in the Síbín or was I just not invited? Embarassed Maybe I'm losing my touch...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Kate P wrote:
Did I miss the prize-giving in the Síbín or was I just not invited? Embarassed Maybe I'm losing my touch...

No, you aren't, I was otherwise disposed over the the weekend. Now that you have reminded me, I am going presently go dtí an Sibín Reoite to hand out prizes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 pm

On the offchance that I get a prize, no men this time; my mother is still living with me and she hasn't gotten used to the other two yet... I can't bring home another one. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Search for Answers   Star Trek: The Search for Answers Empty

Back to top Go down

Star Trek: The Search for Answers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next