Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:44 am

Squire wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Can't we just get our windmills working and cut off the pipelines at this end ? Very Happy

I agree and nicely put.

The population of Russia is a fairly mixed bag. It is a vast country and travel a few 100 kms out of Moscow and you are virtually on a different planet.

Russia will of course act in the interests of Russia but so also will the USA. I think there will be growing trade between Russia the EU and in time better relations. There is more to be gained by cooperation than growling at each other. Why spend so much time and effort threatening each other and less trying to improve cooperation?
Exactly. Those feckers only want peace too but is their economy so fecked at the moment that anything could happen and is the country so overrun by such mafia type characters that would make Fianna Fail look like Trocaire that this instability will or could spill over into other parts? I don't think so - they gave Georgia a few slaps there and there's nothing more sinister in it.

Tell me they can do little if nothing with that energy pipeline - what can they do anyway? overcharge us? They were buggered by the IMF anyway and now it may be payback time again to the Yakuza. I reckon we are ready to get used to hikes in energy prices anyway already given the summer of inflating oil we had. I only drove 2500 miles this summer - a pittance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 am

In very recent history I don't see Russia as the aggressor. It is the one threatened. Our News outlets are 'unbalanced'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:51 pm

It's swinging with the wind today, the ISEQ

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 Screen11
The ISEQ

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 Wind11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Found a correlaton between wind speed and the ISEQ Auditor? Smile Let me know how it works out.

Woke up, got outa bed, drug the comb through my hair . . . and the foremost thought in my mind was short the FTSE. Usually up around 6'ish but didn't wake until 7:45 due to reading a poxy book until 4'ish. All the signs were there when I did my closing market updates last night and they must have coalesced during sleep but I was too damn late. Oh, well, said I'd sit on the sidelines until a clearer picture develops but this may have been a good time to get a long term short developing.

The banks are getting spanked again. UBS looks like having a horrible day. The SEC dropped its short restrictions yesterday and the options put/call ratio rose accordingly. However, there's too much volatility in this market for my blood. I'd rather see theirs on the floor than mines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 pm

rockyracoon wrote:
Found a correlaton between wind speed and the ISEQ Auditor? Smile
There should be Smile

Found this one on thePin - it's brilliant (click on it more than 4 times to get linked to there)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20fxrdnRPQ

youganmahew reckons there will be the busting of a tech bubble soon ...
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=12486

This would affect us here. It's inevitable though. Not so long ago there wasn't enough space on a harddrive to swing a crt now there's memory everywhere - watches, cameras, phones, there's even disposable mobile phones.

Land - time to look at buying land.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
rockyracoon wrote:
There should be Smile

Found this one on thePin - it's brilliant (click on it more than 4 times to get linked to there)

This would affect us here. It's inevitable though. Not so long ago there wasn't enough space on a harddrive to swing a crt now there's memory everywhere - watches, cameras, phones, there's even disposable mobile phones.

Electrical firms in the UK on the slide, according to Breaking News. Are people giving up their gadgets?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 pm

PC World to be precise... hmmm... I'm about to give them £450 stg... wonder will they drop their prices to sell more stuff. Dilemma, dilemma.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 8:08 pm

ISEQ back to 4401
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
rockyracoon wrote:
There should be Smile

About every decade or so some people come up with the great idea that technology can only go so far. I believe this based primarily on the old notion that the chip makers will hit a wall whereby they can't make memory chips, and so forth, any smaller. Of course, this is pure and utter nonsense. In a global economic environment where I personally think that the Western wage earner's future is bleak, technology and its associated industries stand out as the one bright beacon. The only limit on technology is that of the mind, and after every consumer lead downturn in the broad technology sector there is a raft of new innovations and applications. There are few limits to expansion in this sector bar that of time and imagination.

So, sure, we will have a slowdown. Technology is a business like any other. Another poster on the same thread pointed out several industries where technological expanion is ongoing. I will be looking at who provides technological services to these industries. There has to be several good (long term) immediate investments to be made. Hell, I writing about the Irish fella today that made a fortune selling mobile phone technology in some of the poorest regions of the world. People who don't know where their next meal is coming from feel the need to have a mobile to call their next door neighbor. Go figure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 1:50 am

Easy to figure that one Rocky. They need the phone to order takeout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 1:56 am

rockyracoon wrote:
The only limit on technology is that of the mind, and after every consumer-lead downturn in the broad technology sector there is a raft of new innovations and applications. There are few limits to expansion in this sector bar that of time and imagination.

Nice one - I think we should keep that quote here as a motto Wink

There's another thread on thePin asking about money and "who presses the button to authorise the new money" and it's an interesting one which I might drag over here tomorrow. I'm convinced that technology and its consumption has been licence for printing rakes of money over the last decade and yes though there may be a slowdown there will be some new tech wave coming along later. Really, ten years ago there was an incipient mobile phone market and look at it now with shops in every small town, tons of people selling, other tons manufacturing and others designing and planning ...

Your line above is spot on.

youngdan wrote:
Easy to figure that one Rocky. They need the phone to order takeout.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 am

apparently the US petroleum/crude reserves are down and oil is up again. presumably all those closed pipelines in Georgia aren't helping??

Expect the financials to respond accordingly.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:07 am

expat girl wrote:
apparently the US petroleum/crude reserves are down and oil is up again. presumably all those closed pipelines in Georgia aren't helping??

Expect the financials to respond accordingly.....

It surprises me how slow markets are to react to things like the No vote and Georgia. It seems to take them days if not weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am

cactus flower wrote:

It surprises me how slow markets are to react to things like the No vote and Georgia. It seems to take them days if not weeks.

They're stock brokers, they like to wait and see what everyone else is doing and then try to make the easy money. Not the sharpest tools in the box.

That said, those that show a bit of an initiative tend to make gazillions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 am

rockyracoon wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
rockyracoon wrote:
There should be Smile

About every decade or so some people come up with the great idea that technology can only go so far. I believe this based primarily on the old notion that the chip makers will hit a wall whereby they can't make memory chips, and so forth, any smaller. Of course, this is pure and utter nonsense. In a global economic environment where I personally think that the Western wage earner's future is bleak, technology and its associated industries stand out as the one bright beacon. The only limit on technology is that of the mind, and after every consumer lead downturn in the broad technology sector there is a raft of new innovations and applications. There are few limits to expansion in this sector bar that of time and imagination.

So, sure, we will have a slowdown. Technology is a business like any other. Another poster on the same thread pointed out several industries where technological expanion is ongoing. I will be looking at who provides technological services to these industries. There has to be several good (long term) immediate investments to be made. Hell, I writing about the Irish fella today that made a fortune selling mobile phone technology in some of the poorest regions of the world. People who don't know where their next meal is coming from feel the need to have a mobile to call their next door neighbor. Go figure.

Any theories that posit that things will either stop, or continue longterm on the present trend, have got to be wrong. Population expansion and environmental constraints will either force us to fundamentally change the way we live and operate as a society and/or are likely to lead to population collapse. We are a relatively new species that has had a couple of hundred thousand years on the planet as hunter gatherers and nomads, and only about 10,000 in agricultural society. Industrialisation is a subset of agricultural society, only a couple of hundred years old, dependent on food surpluses to support industrial workers. Industrialisation so far has mainly been the use of carbon fueled machinery for production.

There are theories now that the shift from hunter gatherer to agricultural living was forced by impacts of climate change, that made people have to cluster in areas that would support cereal and root crops easily. They lost a healthy and relatively leisured life and moved into one of endless drudgery and social division.

Jared Diamond's old essay here is a bit one dimensional but covers some of this :

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdf

I'm not at all advocating wiping out 999% of the human population and reverting to hunter gather life, but I think we need to apply a far more critical standard to modern society than is generally the case.

Last edited by cactus flower on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 am

There is a resource shortage and the power blocks are getting more aggressive in trying to safeguard their interests. In particular, the US and its NATO allies appear to be getting reckless. War would appear to be the natural outcome. Many of the current global conflicts and potential conflicts can be traced to this. Isn't that what happened with WWI? BTW - I think we can kiss goodbye to Obama pulling out of Iraq no matter what he says.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Our basic limit on our civilisation is efficient food production and clean water.

I am quite confident that we will solve the energy problem and that it will generally be a beneficial advance. What concerns me more is the cost of population growth. We have limited amounts of resources such as copper and can only grow a certain amount of timber. Our numbers are causing a severe strain on the lands ability to sustain us. I am one of those that believe that biodiversity and wilderness are important in the overall mix.

Ultimately land will be the most precious commodity if populations keep rising.

I think that with increased population densities that disease will someday be a controlling factor. At rush hour sit in the major station in any Indian city and you could see how easy it would be for disease to spread.

Obama has no intention of pulling out of Iraq, never did have (support to be maintained terminology). I don't think there is a single policy on which that individual has not issued contradictory statements. He is a Tony Blair Mark 2 and even less sincere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Squire wrote:

Ultimately land will be the most precious commodity if populations keep rising.

Let's all chip in and buy a farm, shall we?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Farms require hard work unless you intend to rent the land out. Squire Hall is my personal nature reserve. At least that is my excuse and probably not enough trees there to offset my travel.

If you are buying land the country you eventually decide to live in and 'farm' is an important consideration. Madeira, South West France, North Italy, perhaps parts of Chile around Santiago? Brisbane isn't too bad if you don't mind collecting rain water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:44 pm

ISEQ at 4460 bouncing up and down like a rubber ball.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 4:09 pm

It really is difficult to know what to make of the stock market, except perhaps stay away.

It is fluttering about and is currently heading back down towards 4400.

Obviously confidence is low and there is probably a sentiment that perhaps the falls experienced are adequate correction, but equally it is so volatile that it would take very little to push it down to 3500. There is a lack of rationality. More chaos than reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 3:33 pm

LOOk at that - up and down with the wind I tells ya

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 Iseq10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm

So we had better watch out for calm weather and there will be a pick up in the Autumn storms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 pm

So the butterfly flapping its wings really does cause a crash on Anglesey St.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Squire wrote:
It really is difficult to know what to make of the stock market, except perhaps stay away.

It is fluttering about and is currently heading back down towards 4400.

Obviously confidence is low and there is probably a sentiment that perhaps the falls experienced are adequate correction, but equally it is so volatile that it would take very little to push it down to 3500. There is a lack of rationality. More chaos than reason.

Isn't this normal behaviour on the way down with traders trying to make money on the smaller peaks and troughs? That is my understanding anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**   The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED** - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

The ISEQ Thread Part I - March 2008 - October 2008 **LOCKED**
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next