Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 1:49 am

Good night everyone, sleep well. Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 1:50 am

Dehydrated after the day, Ard? Lack of water usually gives me a headache too.

Is today the Ascension? Isn't it next weekend? I'm going to meet a girl in Paris - an ex - she excommunicated herself from the Catholic (and every) Church in Germany because she doesn't want to pay tax, stingy bitsh. You don't want to hear what she calls the Ascension...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 1:53 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Dehydrated after the day, Ard? Lack of water usually gives me a headache too.

Yup, and I think all this sun gave me mild sun-stroke. No wonder I'm happiest when it's raining.

Quote :
Is today the Ascension? Isn't it next weekend? I'm going to meet a girl in Paris - an ex - she excommunicated herself from the Catholic (and every) Church in Germany because she doesn't want to pay tax, stingy bitsh. You don't want to hear what she calls the Ascension...

Nope, today's the day. It's 40 days since we celebrated the Resurrection of our Lord, which as we all know was exceptionally early this year. It'll be Pentecost next. It's great stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 2:53 am

Well, the headache's cleared up. That drink of water did wonders.

Here's an aperitif to celebrate!

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 906794857_f6bf3ed32d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 2:55 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Or Do you think Bella from Fair City is a convincing actor?

*sharp intake of breath* Even I, a fully sentient and socio-culturally aware hominid organism would have difficulty with that.

Quote :
Truly we would know the men from the bots.

Indeed, and this has given me an idea.

Myself and Ard-Taoiseach were playing last night with what's known as the Turing Test. This is a method of trying to determine whether an entity that you are communicating with is human or not.

So far, no machine or software has passed the Turing test. Of course, many internet posters also fail it, but you don't want those ones anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 2:57 am

ibis wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Or Do you think Bella from Fair City is a convincing actor?

*sharp intake of breath* Even I, a fully sentient and socio-culturally aware hominid organism would have difficulty with that.

Quote :
Truly we would know the men from the bots.

Indeed, and this has given me an idea.

Myself and Ard-Taoiseach were playing last night with what's known as the Turing Test. This is a method of trying to determine whether an entity that you are communicating with is human or not.

So far, no machine or software has passed the Turing test. Of course, many internet posters also fail it, but you don't want those ones anyway.

You're practising for it, aren't you ibis? What happens if you fail it? Will your programmers create ibis 2.0 with a new operating architecture?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:16 am

We will evolve ourselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:19 am

Strange old test - the turing test. Only a human being can pass it, which to me says that even if AI gets to a standard where the machine could be deemed to be conscious, that it will still not possess the credentials to pass the test.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:24 am

Hermes wrote:
Strange old test - the turing test. Only a human being can pass it, which to me says that even if AI gets to a standard where the machine could be deemed to be conscious, that it will still not possess the credentials to pass the test.

It's been pointed out that what falls into the 'definition' of AI is anything that is still out of reach. The AIs in modern games are more sophisticated than what was originally thought to be possible (outside fiction) with AI. Fuzzy logic systems, once they became routine, no longer went under the heading "AI", but that's where they started off. Neural networks are slowly leaving the term AI behind, although they were/are undoubtedly AI research.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:31 am

We're living in truly amazing times. Twasn't so long ago that biology was considered to be a completely defined branch of science (not that everything in it is defined though). It'll be interesting if we have to include smart machines within this sphere of science in the (near?) future.

I'm afraid I'm not as up on the mechanics of this topic as I'd like to be, I'm more into the philosophy and logic problems and paradoxical ideas associated with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:37 am

Hermes wrote:
We're living in truly amazing times. Twasn't so long ago that biology was considered to be a completely defined branch of science (not that everything in it is defined though). It's be interesting if we have to include smart machines within this sphere of science in the (near?) future.

I'm afraid I'm not as up on the mechanics of this topic as I'd like to be, I'm more into the philosophy and logic problems and paradoxical ideas associated with it.
I used to work a little with IBM minis/mainframes - hence the lack of network hacking knowledge - and I used to say that some software was the lowest form of life... not really true with the definition of biology from M.r.s. G.r.e.n. but it won't be long before it will be able to do a lot of the mrs gren acronomics. Software and machines can do most but we're a good way off from where a machine or software nourishes itself and sustains itself from the natural world... it isn't unthinkable though at all .. (actually solar power.. )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:39 am

I went to computer school with a biologist and we used to look at our pascal programs laid out in massive strips across the floor and he'd explain to himself out loud that it was exactly like how lengths of DNA worked...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:41 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
I went to computer school with a biologist and we used to look at our pascal programs laid out in massive strips across the floor and he'd explain to himself out loud that it was exactly like how lengths of DNA worked...

And now they breed algorithms...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 3:43 am

Does software now write itself? To understand how code works you should try to understand ... how the code of life works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyMon May 05, 2008 8:02 pm

ibis wrote:
We will evolve ourselves.

Oh, so you have a self-learning and adaptive matrix? And why do you refer to yoursilf as "We", are you like the Borg with a hive mind?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:52 am

cactus flower wrote:
If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 Eggnog

I might just try the brandy and milk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:07 am

I think I'll have a refreshing pint here, it's been a long day...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 Pint-in-Windsor-Castle-Pub-Camden-Hill-Road-London-United-Kingdom-Photographic-Print-C11905139
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:44 am

an féidir liom páirt a ghlacadh anseo? Wink
If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 23041403
Ye wont mind if I join ye, will ye? I'll sit in the corner or whatever like, I don't mind Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:14 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
an féidir liom páirt a ghlacadh anseo? Wink
If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 23041403
Ye wont mind if I join ye, will ye? I'll sit in the corner or whatever like, I don't mind Razz

Is féidir leat, BuachaillBeo. Tá sé ceart go leor. Is féidir linn faoi rudaí a rá!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Is féidir leat, BuachaillBeo. Tá sé ceart go leor. Is féidir linn faoi rudaí a rá!

Ach tá sé i lár an lae anois... agus táim ró-chiúin gan deoch agam..... em..... ceart go leor.... rudaí..... em..... aon scéal agatsa!? ba cheart dom a bheith ag staidéar study , tá na scrúdithe ag teacht like! bom

Is it wrong to be visiting this place in such sunny weather and before the afternoon? elephant

Gluais:
i lár an lae - In the middle of the day
ró-chiúin gan deoch - too quiet without a drink
ag staidéar, ag teacht - studying, coming
scrúdithe - exams

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 6:48 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Ach tá sé i lár an lae anois... agus táim ró-chiúin gan deoch agam..... em..... ceart go leor.... rudaí..... em..... aon scéal agatsa!? ba cheart dom a bheith ag staidéar study , tá na scrúdithe ag teacht like! bom

Oh, cinnte, tá na scrúduithe ag teacht ach tá an grian ag taitneamh agus tá na clochaí ag scaoilt. Ní mór orainn taitneamh a bhaint as an aimsir seo anois roimh na scamallaí, tintreach, toirneach agus rudaí mar sin tríd an tSamhradh.

Quote :
Is it wrong to be visiting this place in such sunny weather and before the afternoon? elephant

Not really, as long as you were out for more than an hour during the good weather, as I was.

Quote :
Gluais:
i lár an lae - In the middle of the day
ró-chiúin gan deoch - too quiet without a drink
ag staidéar, ag teacht - studying, coming
scrúdithe - exams

Smile

Go raibh míle, BuachaillBeo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Well lads and lasses, I'm very flush at the moment, so I'll leave a pile a cash there for you all to enjoy. The Milky Bars are on me!

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 500_euro_noten
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:00 pm

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 Tiramisu

Tiramisu anyone? I think the Síbín could broaden its menu slightly...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Ní mór orainn taitneamh a bhaint as an aimsir seo anois roimh na scamallaí, tintreach, toirneach agus rudaí mar sin tríd an tSamhradh.
Laughing is fíor sin a bhuachaill!

Quote :
Not really, as long as you were out for more than an hour during the good weather, as I was.
I walked to my friend's car to drive down the village to go to the shop if that counts. I stayed in the car down there, of course. ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 9:28 pm

A toast to the new Taoiseach and to the new Cabinet!

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 BeerDelGrande_narrowweb__300x460,0

(It's the first result when you enter "offaly, beer" into Google Images.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Places-
Jump to: