Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

The weather thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 am

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:
I hear some parts have their month's quota of rain already. When is Saint Swithin's day?

Tuesday this week...

Does that have a meteorological significance ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:06 am

Maybe EVM could keep those bottles corked until then? It might save us - what is it? - forty days rain? If not, who's up for Ark building?

I've managed to get - for the first time in my life I think, a summer cold.

And I'm generously passing it on to the rest of you. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:19 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I managed to bring back 15 trillion bottles of Cote d'Azur sunshine last night. Should keep us going for a few days.

Thanks EvotingMachine0197. I enjoyed my bit of it today and tamed the unruly plum trees with their 'light summer pruning'.
One of them was so full of little jade green aphids that when I'd finished I looked like a green version of Cookiemonster.

Did you enjoy the South of France ?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:34 am

Yeh, nice place. Really hot. 35 degrees during the day. Beer far too expensive though. 6-7 euro for 500ml. Shocked

Apartment was smashing. Booked it off the web, and all worked out very well.

The sea was quite warm, could stay in it for hours...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 am

Aaaah... sunny

It sounds lovely. Perhaps MN should open a microbrewery in Nice. I'm sure it would do well.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:40 am

cactus flower wrote:
Aaaah... sunny

It sounds lovely. Perhaps MN should open a microbrewery in Nice. I'm sure it would do well.

Well it did cross my mind to invade Antibes, and rename it to Evoting Les Pins. Laughing

One thing I did not like at all was the beaches have been mostly privatised for restaurant use. Not good IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:45 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Aaaah... sunny

Well it did cross my mind to invade Antibes, and rename it to Evoting Les Pins. Laughing

One thing I did not like at all was the beaches have been mostly privatised for restaurant use. Not good IMO.

Rosslare Strand then next year, is it? Smile

I got a couple of accidental days in Paris when you were away and I found the Parisians much improved, friendlier and a lot more forgiving of my French.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:43 am

905 wrote:
We had our cemetary Sunday today, when did these things stop being graveyards? I spent all day figuring out how to get a pump working.

They're called cemeteries on cemetery Sunday. Every other day of the year they're called graveyards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 am

I've always called it a cemetery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:54 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I've always called it a cemetery.

Really? I'd be more fond of using graveyard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:00 am

Should we have a graveyard/cemetary thread to settle this pressing issue? Anyway, weather. Meant to be warm for the next few days but not neccessarily dry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 am

905 wrote:
Should we have a graveyard/cemetary thread to settle this pressing issue? Anyway, weather. Meant to be warm for the next few days but not neccessarily dry.

Indeed. The weather has recovered in recent days. I hope the ISEQ rises in sympathy. On the thread idea, I believe the current consensus is satisfactory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Today is the most gorgeous day here; there are a few clouds in the sky and the thinnest veil of haze over the mountains, but the sun is hot. A day for the garden (and the clothesline!).

I hope it's as fine wherever you are...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Misty may be sea frets drifting in and piling up in the valley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Playing a cricket match this afternoon - great weather for it. Just hope we get one our two clouds anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Sitting here in shorts, tee-shirt and flip-flops, trying to pretend it's not cold even though it's sunny enough.

Major engineering event in Limerick today - the tunnel which is being built under the Shannon as part of the bypass is today being sunk and is open to the public for tours and viewing. Might head there and ask a few questions, take a few photos.

Might try to pick up a few photos of the local Limerick weeds too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Have just drive home across the southern parts of Ireland with pale blue hills rising out of milky mist. I was tempted to buy some turkey chicks in a farmers market because of their sweet peep peeping sounds and prettiness but kept a mental picture of the monsters they would grow into in my head and came home with lavender, crabs claws, a nice chicken and plenty of fresh greens instead. The weather improved last night in time for one of the better hooleys I've been at - the whole parish morphed into the dress , music and language of the 30s and 40s, (pinnies and hats and post/gard/army uniforms, bias cut frocks) turned up on bikes and tractors, horses and donkey carts and ancient prams, took over the street to auction piglets and hired hands and kept the music going I think long after I hit the sack. Is this the new nostalgia?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 11:23 pm

It's getting cool here now, the sun has set over the orchard and I'm wrecked from spending too much time doing too much digging. A small bit of sunburn at the backs of my knees (who'd have thought it?) isn't helping, but I'm sitting on an old bench that I've built a nice bed around so I can watch said sun go down on said orchard surrounded by nice smells and pretty growing things.

There are kids still out playingacross the fields, the bull in the field next door is doing that horny moany groany thing that he does, swallows are twittering and the lambs are mbaaing. And there's an owl hooting.

Bliss, really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 pm

Shall we all move in with Kate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Getting very misty outdoors, chocolate horlicks indoors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 2:17 am

johnfás wrote:

It sounds like the right thing to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 am

Heavy sea frets again, was up on the battlements and if you look up you can see through it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 11:34 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Come one and all; it looks like the mother and brothers will be moving out this weekend. Just give me time to tidy up. There are lots of gardening and household jobs to be done here that require plenty of extra manpower. One of you could give the hall, stairs and landing a lick of paint and the other can lend a hand in the garden Wink

Quote :
Heavy sea frets again, was up on the battlements and if you look up you can see through it.

Any chance of some pics, Squire - sounds magical...

Sun shining again chez Kate P this morning but breezy today so it won't be long before last night's heavy dew dissipates. Another day for the garden. This is what real holidays are about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 12:15 pm

Kate P wrote:
Sun shining again chez Kate P this morning but breezy today so it won't be long before last night's heavy dew dissipates. Another day for the garden. This is what real holidays are about.

Sunny and breezy in the South Riding today. I don't care if it rains or freezes, me, the missus and the grandchild are heading to the beach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Kate P wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Come one and all; it looks like the mother and brothers will be moving out this weekend. Just give me time to tidy up. There are lots of gardening and household jobs to be done here that require plenty of extra manpower. One of you could give the hall, stairs and landing a lick of paint and the other can lend a hand in the garden.

I'll hoover, polish, unstack/restack the dishwasher, set the table and make everyone cups and pots of tea in return for that rather delectable cooking you have so evocatively described here in our fiefdom.

I'll also commune with the sheep to see if we can resolve the issue of them eating your roses. As a third party, I would be in a position to broker a deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next