Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The weather thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Wind energy is produced cleanly - the pollution from it has already been done in the manufacture of the turbines which are essentially big alternators like you have in your car - magnets and copper wire. Hairdryers, drills and other motors from dentists torture implements to your coffee grinder, food mixer, electric water pump and bike dynamo are all related - magnets and copper.

There is some excess heat lost in the environment from the electricity moving through the wires alright but I don't know what the loss is - it is different for AC and DC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Haven't I explained all this already with help from baby brother on another thread?

Depends on the wire - called i (squared) r losses; Every piece of wire has its own resistance - so the loss depends on how much power is going through it.

Which is why if you upgrade to a higher voltage, ie, double it, you quarter your power losses in the line because you halve your current.

And yes, he is looking over my shoulder as I write. Smile

Tender all questions and I will put them to him tomorrow when he sobers up from the wedding he's on the way to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 12:27 am

Kate P wrote:
Haven't I explained all this already with help from baby brother on another thread?

Depends on the wire - called i (squared) r losses; Every piece of wire has its own resistance - so the loss depends on how much power is going through it.

Which is why if you upgrade to a higher voltage, ie, double it, you quarter your power losses in the line because you halve your current.

And yes, he is looking over my shoulder as I write. Smile

Tender all questions and I will put them to him tomorrow when he sobers up from the wedding he's on the way to.

That is interesting. In Spain I think the voltage allowed in households is much lower. Everything goes off if you try to iron and make tea at the same time. Once you get used to it its good, as it is a reminder that we are using a precious commodity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Hold on to your hats lads and lasses, it's getting windy!

The weather thread - Page 11 Wind_gen_30_Jun_2008_11_45
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 2:25 pm

A great day here for whooshing out the cobwebs. It's windy but sunny and warm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm

And look at it now, we're near full capacity on wind production!

The weather thread - Page 11 Wind_gen_30_Jun_2008_17_00
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 7:13 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
And look at it now, we're near full capacity on wind production!

The weather thread - Page 11 Wind_gen_30_Jun_2008_17_00

And Dun Laoghaire Rathdown has launched its plug in electric car scheme. Do they take airtricity?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 am

I can't sleep for listening to the wind - it sounds like waves crashing against the rocks at Doolin or Leitir Mór and it's magical.

The windows are open and the curtains are moving like shy girls who want to dance, wallflowers that just can't summon the courage to get on the dancefloor but still can't stop moving, a little reservedly, in time with the music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 9:25 am

July 1 my eye!

Today is like one of those November Tuesdays when you dashed from the schoolbus to the locker area, got wet going to every class and looked out of steamy classroom windows knowing that you hadn't a hope of kicking, football on a day like this.

It's not the season for it, but it is a proper rainy day. Nothing half-hearted about this one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Not nice weather today, raining cats and dogs out there.

Here's a picture of the weather in London last Saturday afternoon

The weather thread - Page 11 Cimg0014ad5
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm fucking sick of it. It's absolute crap weather.

I don't know which is worse, facing financial ruin or this poxy weather.

Just as well I'm off to the Cote d'Azur on Saturday. Though it doesn't look much better there. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:03 pm

I just drove through 6 different weathers in a 30 mile drive.
The lady from the Met on the radio confirmed that warmer sea temperatures are to blame, and held out no hope for the next week. She did say that Cork was having some sun though sunny

Hope you have a lovely holiday EvotingMachine0197.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:51 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I'm fucking sick of it. It's absolute crap weather.

I don't know which is worse, facing financial ruin or this poxy weather.

Just as well I'm off to the Cote d'Azur on Saturday. Though it doesn't look much better there. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Where abouts? Summers swanning around Nice are always my favourite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Antibes. Just down the road from Nice.

I'll try and bring back some good weather if I can get it through security.
I'll be gone for a week so hopefully the economy will be back to OK by the time I get back Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 am

What a day. I was out steel-fixing in that bloody weather, not fun. I blame... gosh Noonan or McDowell? I blame McDowell for the weather, the bloody bastard. I hope his lakeside house is flooded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 1:05 pm

It's to be very wet this weekend;

The weather thread - Page 11 Nat01_weather

The weather thread - Page 11 Nat02_weather

umbrella futures are up 4% in sympathy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Sweet, suffering succutash! It has been a wash-out today, rain sheeting down in pulsing down-pours. It's been a soaker today in the capital. What a Summer we're having!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 9:52 pm

We had that earlier this week. Incredible stuff - the kind of showers that we're used to lasting two minutes in a thunderous burst just went on and on and on. On Sunday I would have needed waders to get to the end of my driveway. We had some heavy rain today but it's a fine evening.

Yep, the sun can start shining again any time after Sunday, when I'll be ready for it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Having just come back from a sunnier climate, its a bit of a shock to be wading around here again. Global warming is a bummer eh. Teagasc told us it was going to mean that we could grow grapes in Galway. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 6:20 pm

*groan* meant to be camping up around the Giants Causeway this week, we decided to cancel because of the unpredictability of the weather... not that I'm a wuzzy or anything Evil or Very Mad.... but cycling with tents in the rain ain't the most fun.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 5:35 pm

I managed to bring back 15 trillion bottles of Cote d'Azur sunshine last night. Should keep us going for a few days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:38 pm

I hear some parts have their month's quota of rain already. When is Saint Swithin's day?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Lovely day today, had a nice walk after church and then played a game of tennis this evening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 pm

We had our cemetary Sunday today, when did these things stop being graveyards? I spent all day figuring out how to get a pump working.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:51 pm

905 wrote:
I hear some parts have their month's quota of rain already. When is Saint Swithin's day?

Tuesday this week...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next