Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

The weather thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Spent the afternoon in Athy watching schools rugby. Beautiful winter sun and a good result too Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:18 am

Does anyone think the fact that crashes (economic) are usually autumn/winter phenomena has a lot to do with the fact that most major financial markets (London, New York, Frankfurt, etc) are well into the Northern hemisphere and people are depressed about the oncoming 6 months of less than salubrious weather??

Today's sunshine would have cheered even the likes of George Lee and Alan Ahearne; meanwhile, the pub I went to for lunch was more packed than I'd seen it since last spring. The barman jokingly said "it's the pre-boom" .... hope he's roysh!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:39 am

expat girl wrote:
Does anyone think the fact that crashes (economic) are usually autumn/winter phenomena has a lot to do with the fact that most major financial markets (London, New York, Frankfurt, etc) are well into the Northern hemisphere and people are depressed about the oncoming 6 months of less than salubrious weather??

Today's sunshine would have cheered even the likes of George Lee and Alan Ahearne; meanwhile, the pub I went to for lunch was more packed than I'd seen it since last spring. The barman jokingly said "it's the pre-boom" .... hope he's roysh!

Yeah I'd often wonder how much of our economic efforts go into negotiating the weather... that must have a noticeable effect short and long term. I don't think any major technological inventions have arisen out of the equatorial latitudes - up here we found uses for coal beyond what God intended it in the first place - for warmth, light, heat, then transport and fuel for other industries, then for war, industrial diamonds, carbon nanotubes to build spaceships the list goes on.

Back in the tropics they're still eating coconuts.

And today's weather in Cape Verde: dry, breezy, warm, 28C with a light shower later on.
... actually that's the weather for the next four years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

the Weather forecast in Clare today:
Windy
Rainy
Temperature: same as summer

The weather thread - Page 5 Wind10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:38 pm

UK forecasting mega cold snap for early next week, coldest winter for 13 years......

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=13403044&icid=ukhotmail

cape verde sound lovely
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Static images:
The weather thread - Page 5 Temp111

The weather thread - Page 5 Temp22

The weather thread - Page 5 Weathe10

The weather thread - Page 5 Weathe12
scratch
The weather thread - Page 5 Weathe13

Today's
The weather thread - Page 5 Wind12

I'm getting there but I don't have a clue what the adiabatic stuff is.

The blue column is wind direction and as it's never more than 360 I suppose that's the compass - I'm guessing it's looking North so 180/190 means the wind is from the South.

The orange column is wind speed in knots? and the last column is height.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 pm

For anyone interested, the weather brought to you by Toxic's Tephigram.

I've drawn two boxes around the wind data - direction in red and speed in blue. The different values are direction and height at different altitudes... Cool eh?

I'll stick in the wind electricity generation stats too to see how it correlates with the tephigram.

The other drawings I've made on the main graph are to do with dewpoint - - - - - - - - and temperature _____________ ; It's cold here today - kind of frosty - and slightly dampish too but dry enough. I like those cold dry days.

The weather thread - Page 5 Weatherto7
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 pm

could be getting a big dump tomorrow... Beeb weather had a big fat white radar patch over Dublin for a lot of tomorrow. Think I'll wear the hiking boots in tomorrow; it's 10 miles home from work if the Dart gets snowed in
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 am

Just saw the forecast earlier at 6.
-4 here in the south west for tonight! It seems to get colder the further south and west you go which is the opposite of the norm.
But I checked it now online and it seems to be normal again.

http://www.rte.ie/weather/charts.html
http://www.rte.ie/weather/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 am

But wasn't it the most glorious day today? I had the garden doors open this morning when the sun was beaming in - what a way to celebrate the first of spring. It's good for the soul.

I can live with paying for it tomorrow. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 am

Other half just in from the yard. He says it's just starting to snow here...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 1:08 am

Extreme weather warning on Sky for buckets of snow in UK tomorrow. Already snowing in London.

Not a flake in North Dublin as yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 1:13 am

Snowing alot in London - real blizzard like conditions. Just off the telephone to someone over there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 am

Fairly cold out alright.

EVM or anyone - ibis? or anyone - have you had a look at those Tephigrams yet ?? There's one line that means temperature of the atmosphere from the ground up to the top - the unbroken blue line. You can see the temperature measurement at the bottom -25 --> +25 and you can see that the temperature nearest the ground is around 10C.

Would it be 25 up in the atmosphere around midday and 10 on the ground?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Snow, hoorah!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm

It snowed in Clonshaugh too. For 4 minutes and 37 seconds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Toxic's Tephigram:

Anyone know anything about pressures - isobars?

The weather thread - Page 5 Weathe11

i.e. very cold, possibly snow.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 6:57 pm

The Summer rain report is out.

Summer 2008 Rainfall

The weather thread - Page 5 Summer10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
The Summer rain report is out.

Summer 2008 Rainfall

The weather thread - Page 5 Summer10

Jaysus Galway must have had it bad so - it normally rains 100% of the time there anyway ... Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Been snowing down here in the South East since 5.00 this morning - every 30 minutes or so another shower blows in from the East - the mountain is disappearing from view again so there'll be another shower here in 10 minutes or so - and its staying on the ground as the temperature is starting to plummet now - the forecast is for heavier showers tonight - might have to think about getting the skis out.

Last edited by Edo on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Edo wrote:
Been snowing down here in the South East since 5.00 this morning - every 30 minutes or so another shower blows in from the East - the mountain is disappearing from view again so there'll be another shower here in 10 minutes or so - and its staying on the ground as the temperature is starting to plummet now - the forecast is for heavier showers tonight - might have to think about getting the skis out.

Similar experience for me, Edo, it is properly snowing and properly sticking in the western environs of the mother city. If it keeps up, we may indeed be snowbound tomorrow! And that isn't that bad!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 am

I'm snowbound tonight in Dublin Shocked Pretty scary earlier while I was driving and after a couple of slippy almost-mishaps, despite driving at Miss Daisy speed, I gave up.

In a very comfy hotel bed as I write, wind howling outside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 am

You obviously took the advice of the man just on the news who said to stay in Dublin Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 am

No. Took the advice of the girl on the news earlier who said it was basically impossible to get off the M50 and that if you could (bypassing the accidents and the stymied off-ramps), the M7 was treacherous. Short of flying, that left me with no options. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am

No sign of any settling snow here yet... but I'm 10 minutes walk from the sea...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next