Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 12:49 pm

And that was the Exainer newspaper, half read to you this morning by audi.

I also saw this about the Irish Times and Freedom of Expression and thought we had a thread here on it. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue how to open a thread on it.

Good morning and bottoms up !

Quote :
Irish Times order ‘restricts freedom of expression’

By Vivion Kilfeather
A HIGH Court order requiring Irish Times editor Geraldine Kennedy and public affairs correspondent Colm Keena to answer questions from the Mahon tribunal about the source of an article on financial payments to former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is “an impermissible restriction” on the right to freedom of expression, the Supreme Court wa told yesterday.

The story about payments was at the very heart of the public interest and dominated public discourse after publication in September 2006 into 2007 and through a general election, Donal O’Donnell SC said.
Examiner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:13 am

tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
tonys wrote:
johnfás wrote:
I just got out of the shower and what did I see about to come in the window of the bathroom? A squirrel Shocked
Could he see your nuts from a distance?

I'm sure he could. johnfás has a fine array of them!
I'll take your word for that, no photos please, I'm sphereaphobic.

Righteo tonys, I'll send the wood engravings then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:50 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
tonys wrote:
johnfás wrote:
I just got out of the shower and what did I see about to come in the window of the bathroom? A squirrel Shocked

Lovely, I do so like a nice bit of well finished wood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:52 am

tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
tonys wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
tonys wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Lovely, I do so like a nice bit of well finished wood.

Don't we all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:47 am

I was just wondering, now that it's quiet here tonight and all, would anyone like to start a conversation about the genome of the E. Coli bacteria ? It is now available in a nice circular format like the one below .

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 Full-Map
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
I was just wondering, now that it's quiet here tonight and all, would anyone like to start a conversation about the genome of the E. Coli bacteria ? It is now available in a nice circular format like the one below .

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 Full-Map

Damn, you just beat me to it, I've been thinking about it all day...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 am

Very Happy

Have you seen the film GATTACA ? One of my favourites. If you had 5 grand would you have your own genome printed out and sequenced / assessed though ? There's some places that do that now I think but I don't know if they tell you you'll die soon etc.

http://www.yourgenome.org/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 12:56 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Very Happy

Have you seen the film GATTACA ? One of my favourites. If you had 5 grand would you have your own genome printed out and sequenced / assessed though ? There's some places that do that now I think but I don't know if they tell you you'll die soon etc.

For that you want to know the length of your telomeres...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 1:01 am

I've heard of telomeres ibis - they have been described thus:

if your DNA is like shoelaces then the telomeres are the plastic bits at the end of the shoelaces which stop them unravelling and fraying.

The next time you're bending over to tie your shoelaces have a look at your telomeres.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 1:03 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Very Happy

I did one of those Y-chromosome ancestry tests that an Oxford professor does as a sideline a few years ago. I learnt next to nothing, except that apparently I'm a Celt. Which made no sense because I thought we weren't Celts, rather adopted Celtic language 2500 years or so ago. I assume they meant I was descended from the earliest post ice-age settlers, though from Berber Africa, not the Basque country like most of the first lot here. But then, that only tells me one strand of my ancestry, the male line. So, basically, a waste of time and money. I'm an E3b haplotype on the male line apparently...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 am

There was someone else here who was having their gene analysis done - can't remember who it was - 905 ? What else does it tell you besides that you're a 'hapless type' ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 1:24 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
There was someone else here who was having their gene analysis done - can't remember who it was - 905 ? What else does it tell you besides that you're a 'hapless type' ?

They give you the Y chromosome detail, and pronounce the likelihood of that having originated at a particular point geographically. Kind of dull, really...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 1:58 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Very Happy

[url=http://www.yourgenome.org/
http://www.yourgenome.org/[/quote[/url]]

5 grand? Wait another year or two and that'll be down to about 1 grand. The cost of mapping your genome is falling fast as economies of scale accrue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 1:09 am

I found a new poster for the wall of the women's toilet in the Síbin:

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 Untitled+5
Posted by "Evil Eco-Fascist" on p.ie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am

That made my evening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 am

Another party like it's 1999 Doomsday End-is-Nigh (again) Viral Marketing campaign just hooked me on the internet - "2012". Anyone here seen it ? Apparently we're coming towards a cosmological event predicted by the Mayans who had a very accurate ca-lender machine which told them stuff about the future such as "white face come from sea and make forest red in year 1519" or something like that. This ca lender is more of a shamanistic scientific instrument though and can accurately account for weird cosmological stuff it shouldn't know letc. Anyway it predicts that the solar system will align with a galactic black hole in 2012 and the earth will flip magnetically, with the poles reversing themselves. We already know that the earth's equator used to be nearer to us before or we to it so why couldn't the earth flip a little ?

The trouble is it might take only a night to happen and a ball that big spinning at 1000 miles an hour and suddenly flipping could have incredible human and planetary conseqences

1min 15sec trailer