Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Aragon wrote:
Hi Furet
This is a great idea and a pity more of it is not done automatically when roads are built. The explanation you had for why no trees were planted on the new road isn't very persuasive. 'Couldn't be bothered' would probably better sum it up.
That's my suspicion alright! That said, at this point in time, the Cashel to Cullahill section seems to be better planted - although still much to sparcely in my opinion.

Quote :
A firend of mine is a big tree expert - divides his time between Ireland and N America each year and among other things grows trees here in Ireland - he and his partner are very knowledgeable about everyting to do with trees - he may well have some good ideas or observations to make. I think I'm right in saying that he has direct experience of the sort of thing you are suggesting so if he is able to pop in here and throw in his 2c it would be great - I've invited him along.
Will await his contributions with great interest!

Quote :
Really hope you get this off the ground.
The good thing is that trees can be planted any time really after a motorway opens, so there's no race against the clock. Still, I'd love to have a commitment from the powers that be to tree the Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme quite thickly. That particular scheme is only 16km long, and will probably open well ahead of schedule in June or July 2009. It passes through some spectacular areas, and the thought of it being riddled with dock, burdock and ragwort rather than trees and hawthorn bothers me greatly.

Quote :
We might start a nationwide voguue for tree planting societies. Smile I know the stretch of road too and it is very stark at the moment. Aren't the tree-lined French roadsides beautiful?
Those French roads are very nice now that you mention it, but the image that comes to my mind are some of the interstate routes in New England, America.
Back to top Go down

A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Quote :
Aren't the tree-lined French roadsides beautiful?

Beautiful and useful - a lot of them are cherry trees.

There may be some pieces of that land that would make good apple orchards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 9:00 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

I'd like to see a good mixture of trees planted. In addition to the common broadleaves, I think larch, hawthorn, blackthorn, crab apple and arbutus should be planted, as well as hazel and willow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Ah. Apparently South Tipp Co Co will "identify and auction" surplus land along the M8: http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/11/20/story77909.asp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Furet wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

I'd like to see a good mixture of trees planted. In addition to the common broadleaves, I think larch, hawthorn, blackthorn, crab apple and arbutus should be planted, as well as hazel and willow.

Scots Pine, too. We should promote our few native conifers, it's the Sitka sprawl that gives conifers an unjustly bad name...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized   A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A proposal: Motorways, trees and acres of unused land: an opportunity to be seized
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2