Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 am

Ronald Binge wrote:
Bertie it is then. Neutral

I'll be gone the next day. Though I'm sure that would be an added incentive for some people...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:03 am

Ronald Binge wrote:
Failing Mary I returning, what about David Norris? Any sign of a bandwagon for him? 2011 isn't that far off. Other honourable mentions should go to John Hume, David Andrews, Alan Dukes, Garret and Michael D.
Garret or Andrews are interesting choices.

On the other hand, being President is restrictive. This means some of the best for the job, wouldn't want it. You couldn't keep your column in the Irish Times!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 am

How about someone outside of politics like, Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:28 am

toxic avenger wrote:
Bored of women Presidents now, they're always 'building bridges', 'reaching out', and generally being 'inclusive'. It's all so unutterably dull. Having said that, if the alternative is Ahern then I'll support anyone. All hail President Seoige...

Except, of course, Ronan Keating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 am

eoinmn wrote:
Hume is too ill, no?

Not many people know that John Hume is one of the heroes of the credit union movement in Ireland. He founded Derry Credit Union and was President of the Irish League of Credit Unions for a while.

Yes. John is quite ill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:42 am

eoinmn wrote:

Inspired: there would be great commentaries on State occasions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:45 am

I’d like to see her run again………away, .......far, far, away, this time.
“Mna na heireann”, me arse.

I do like Mary Mac, she gets about her business quietly, doesn’t seek publicity for herself and has a dignity about her.

I don’t think it makes a great deal of difference who the next president is, but it should be someone who can command widespread support, with no strong passions from a previous existence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:46 am

Slim Buddha wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
Bored of women Presidents now, they're always 'building bridges', 'reaching out', and generally being 'inclusive'. It's all so unutterably dull. Having said that, if the alternative is Ahern then I'll support anyone. All hail President Seoige...

Except, of course, Ronan Keating.

Thanks. I'll never get that vomit back, you know...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:46 am

tonys wrote:

I do like Mary Mac, she gets about her business quietly, doesn’t seek publicity for herself and has a dignity about her.

I don’t think it makes a great deal of difference who the next president is, but it should be someone who can command widespread support, with no strong passions from a previous existence.

Ah good. Another 'I detest Mary Robinson' post from tony!!! Rolling Eyes Is this your first on this site? Your 'I hate Robinson' posts were a scream on p.ie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:54 am

Papal Knight wrote:
tonys wrote:

Ah good. Another 'I detest Mary Robinson' post from tony!!! Rolling Eyes Is this your first on this site? Your 'I hate Robinson' posts were a scream on p.ie.
Do tell, refresh my memory. It should be easy enough, I’ve only ever posted under the one name.

For the record, I don’t “hate” anyone, although I am thinking of making an exception.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:22 am

eoinmn wrote:

God bless Mícheál, he's a national treasure. However he can be the most incredibly boring public speaker - I was at a GAA function where he held forth for nearly an hour on the virtues of young GAA players being celibate and teetotal Surprised

adds: at 2.30 in the morning, while the band were waiting for their fifteen minute window to actually play
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Papal Knight wrote:
tonys wrote:

Everyone here gets to start afresh with a clean sheet, Papal Knight. tonys is well able I'm sure to get into trouble here if he wants to without having his wicked past raked up pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ah no, I don't think we should abolish the presidency. It is important that we have an international representative who is not political, in my opinion.

President, whilst weak, does of course also have some exercisable powers. Mary Robinson's refusal to dissolve the Dáil at the request of Albert Reynolds being an example.

I agree. 9/11 illuatrated that need perfectly. Ahern fumbled and dithered in his usual incoherant way, Harney was even worse. She talked about a "holiday" of the succeeding Friday when everyone, EXCEPT THOSE WORKING FOR AMERICAN MULTINATIONALS BASED IN IRELAND, had a freebie. Crass.

At least McAleese spoke for the nation in even measured tones conveying our sadness for the affected families etc. in logical coherant English without embarrassing us as a nation.

We moved back to Ireland the week of 9/11 - into our new house on the day of mourning and had to go hungry for the better part of 24 hours - NOTHING was open in our neck of the woods. Except the pubs. We found one that served food but they had sign up saying 'As a mark of respect for the victims of the New York attack, no food will be served in the pub tonight.' The place was jointed as we say here in Cork. Alcohol sales were fantastic though - a bumper evening. I'm sure the people of New York would really have appreciated this selfless act of forbearance.

May God and all the saints in heaven preserve and protect us from an Ahern presidency.

Robinson was great and would be great again, imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 am

Mary Robinson - Promises to Keep on RTE now.

A very nice honest, open and unpretentious intervew, I'm surprised and delirah.

She's talking about how the US blocked her standing for a second term as High Commissioner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 am

Very good programme thus far. It is in keeping with the lady, whom I have met on numerous occasions.

Last edited by johnfás on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 am

cactus flower wrote:

She's talking about how the US blocked her standing for a second term as High Commissioner.

It is a superb programme. It gives a great insight into Robinson and her campaigning for human rights. She does a fantasic job. There has always been a substance to her that isn't there with Mary McAleese.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:31 am

Papal Knight wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

It is a superb programme. It gives a great insight into Robinson and her campaigning for human rights. She does a fantasic job. There has always been a substance to her that isn't there with Mary McAleese.

It would be good to have here back here again, in any capacity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 am

I would imagine that she wonders what difference she might make here. If there was one which she could, I am sure that she would. She stated throughout the programme that Ireland remains close to her heart.

Had you expected an interview with pretense, cactus? I have never experienced this from the lady.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:43 am

cactus flower wrote:
Papal Knight wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I agree. I think it is a pity we don't have the Italian system whereby former presidents are ex-officio members for life of the Senate. I think it would have been superb to have had people of the likes of the late Paddy Hillery and Mary in the Senate. Hillery had unique experience in Europe which we lost the benefit of by not having in the Oireachtas. Mary's experience as a president, High Commissioner for Human Rights and international campaigner would be a brilliant addition to the house. She has insights no other Oireachtas member could provide. Ex-officio members like former presidents could have a right to be in the Seanad without a salary and without a vote, with their role being to inform other senators from their own experiences and give a non party political viewpoint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 am

Papal Knight wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Papal Knight wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I agree. I think it is a pity we don't have the Italian system whereby former presidents are ex-officio members for life of the Senate. I think it would have been superb to have had people of the likes of the late Paddy Hillery and Mary in the Senate. Hillery had unique experience in Europe which we lost the benefit of by not having in the Oireachtas. Mary's experience as a president, High Commissioner for Human Rights and international campaigner would be a brilliant addition to the house. She has insights no other Oireachtas member could provide. Ex-officio members like former presidents could have a right to be in the Seanad without a salary and without a vote, with their role being to inform other senators from their own experiences and give a non party political viewpoint.

In general I'm in favour of drumming retired no-longer-elected politicians into outer darkness. They can be a menace skulking around the Foundations and Commissions and Task Forces and should be put down without mercy.

I would make an honourable exception for Mary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?   Mary Robinson For President !  Again ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mary Robinson For President ! Again ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2