Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The M50 Toll - WTF

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Luckily I don't live near it so I avoid it like the plague now. Any political party with any sense is going to have removal of the tolls in their manifesto at the next GE. Sure what's a few billion yoyos when we're giving the banks a few hundred billion?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm

somebody told me that the toll bridge was the legacy of an agreement between the govt and an investor in NTR years previously relating to a mine.

can't remember the details but it was all very shady.

it may be complete innuendo but given the shenanigans that even our minister for finance got up to in the 90's (never mind the 70s or 80s) maybe there's a grain of truth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:59 pm

zakalwe wrote:
somebody told me that the toll bridge was the legacy of an agreement between the govt and an investor in NTR years previously relating to a mine.

can't remember the details but it was all very shady.

it may be complete innuendo but given the shenanigans that even our minister for finance got up to in the 90's (never mind the 70s or 80s) maybe there's a grain of truth.

From what I gather the story you outline it essentially what occured. I'm not so sure about the shady stuff (and we'll never be) but the case has been argued that the then government wasn't too au fait with the workings of motorway construction and the ramification of giving away the toll concession in return for funds to help build part of the motorway. I can well believe that it was incompetence that allowed the perpetual private toll to occur. I also believe the fella who controlled the toll became a billionaire. Just think about it. A few staff memebers and very little construction of the actual toll booths, and then everyday you get to collect tolls from thousands of motorists - 365 days a year. Nice. Can't get closer to printing you own currency if you tried.

Also, I believe this private-public infrastructure scheme isn't all that uncommon in other countries. It's just that such plum terms aren't usually handed over to the private side of the transaction. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes!!!

I used the M50 for a return trip it and did nothing just to see what would happen. After a week I got a letter telling me to pay 3€ for going one way through it. As I had come back again the same day, this is fairly cheap. Perhaps another letter for the other direction will come next week. The letter told me I was being let off the fine as I am only a beginner and don't know what the f. I am doing. Provided I pay. It didn't tell me how or where to pay.

I think I'll take the letter up to the service station next time I need a lottery ticket and see if they can take my 3 euro off me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Well so far, so expensive. Each trip has cost me 3 €, a vast increase, and the e-flow site won't let me register "until I've paid". I have paid, but the payment obviously hasn't been notified to that part of the system.

I am now paying 3€ in advance at the service station. I suppose I have clocked up about 2 miles driving so far to pay the toll.

The traffic certainly is moving better.

Any other experiences, good or bad?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 2:01 pm

I crossed it a couple of weeks ago and found the lack of toll booth really disconcerting!! I felt lost and was suddenly at my exit. That is more my fault than the fault of the Government though Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm

johnfás wrote:
I crossed it a couple of weeks ago and found the lack of toll booth really disconcerting!! I felt lost and was suddenly at my exit. That is more my fault than the fault of the Government though Razz.

I went to Carlingford the last Bank Holiday weekend and went over the place for the first time and it is quite odd without the toll booths. The road feels weirdly empty now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I went to Carlingford the last Bank Holiday weekend and went over the place for the first time and it is quite odd without the toll booths. The road feels weirdly empty now.

How did you pay, Ard T king ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 am

We got one of the registration reading accounts on eflow... so we pay 2.50 per crossing or something like that. Don't think we pay any monthly charge but you had to deposit a balance with them.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 9:55 pm

My SU failed to pay for a double crossing last month and had to fork out 86 euro. Evil or Very Mad Scoundrels the lot of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 11:15 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
My SU failed to pay for a double crossing last month and had to fork out 86 euro. Evil or Very Mad Scoundrels the lot of them.

Ouch ouch ouch. At the end of the day, there is nothing for it to register at a minimum cost of ? a year, on top on the inflated toll cost, even if one only expects to use the M50 once or twice a year. That brings the toll cost potentially up to what? 10 yoyos a trip?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The M50 Toll - WTF   The M50 Toll - WTF - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The M50 Toll - WTF
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Machine Nation :: Energy, Transport and Infrastructure-
Jump to: