Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? Empty
PostSubject: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Bit of a storm brewing this week for MEPs. It would seem that many are claiming EU parliamentary allowances that they're not entitled to.

Here's a clip from RTL and their broadcast that's responsible for the storm:

Here's a response from Kathy Sinnot: Video Response (embedding disabled).

Storm in a teacup or a tornado that's going to level everything in its path?

Thanks for the heads up to the The Limerick Blogger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 pm

In fact from the strictly legal point of view they ARE entitled to sign the registry and leave immediately after. It's from the political point of view that it's a scandal.

In the case of Sinnott, from the also political point of view I would be interested in learning more about the correspondance of names that I saw on this page.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 pm

arnaudherve wrote:
In fact from the strictly legal point of view they ARE entitled to sign the registry and leave immediately after. It's from the political point of view that it's a scandal.

In the case of Sinnott, from the also political point of view I would be interested in learning more about the correspondance of names that I saw on this page.

Joady Sinnott is her son: FT article.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? LostDog3jpeg

Nice site Hermes (the Limerick Blogger that is). I think we should have a lost dog thread too.

If you are the owner of this dog please ring 063 91110
or 087 6371044
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 pm

arnaudherve wrote:

Ha! Rolling Eyes . Well spotted arnaudherve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 am

British whistleblowing here.

I think part of the problem is that the EP is used by national politicians as a safe financial retreat between two national elections. Hence they are not mentally in the EP while continuing receiving benefits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 4:57 pm

It is not too difficult. People should not be able to employ their family members as assistants at public expense, either in the EP or the Dail. These posts should be open competition, as in the Civil Service.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 5:15 pm

I think you are right about family members but wrong about open competition.

These posts demand sharing the political views of the MP. For example you must not communicate strategic schedules to the opposite side, or you must do research according to the themes and points of view developed by a party.

For instance you could not be employed by an Irish Yes MEP, and Ibis could not be employed by an Irish No MEP. Even if you show better than average capacities.

Or else you imagine that there is something you can call neutral work in a Parliament. This is in my experience not even possible in the case of a secretary who just answers the phone. Even contacts are very strategic.

I would be more concerned about the lack of social status for assistants, partly due to the change of country, partly due to the fact that MEPs tend to consider them as domesticity. Some sleep in the MEPs office, for instance.

The most extreme left-wing MEP can become an arbitrary and conservative monarch when given a personal assistant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 am

Perhaps I am not clear enough about the role of these assistants. A good research assistant ought to be able to produce the necessary, and if it is too biased it won't stand up to pressure from the opposition anyway.
Absolute confidentiality is also a part of many jobs.

I would have to admit it probably reduces the chances of MEPs employing an intelligence agent by accident they one sticks to one's immediate family. But they aren't they probably all wired anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Kathy and Joady Take Gravy Train to Brussels.   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

ibis wrote:
arnaudherve wrote:

Joady Sinnott is her son: FT article.

Indeed Joady is her son. Film being his speciality. If she's dumb enough to wear a T-shirt the UK IP obviously gave her or, at least, did not have the wit to move out of shot - perhaps she has Joady on hand there to film such priceless moments when history and morality embrace.
Shame her ex-husband and Sweaty Christy cldn't write a new ballad "Kathy and the kid take the gravy train to Brussels." Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?   Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble? Empty

Back to top Go down

Kathy Sinnott and other MEPs in trouble?
Page 1 of 1