Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Lisbon Debate Continues

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:07 am

ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Thanks for that long and detailed answer about EU legislation, ibis. It's much appreciated.

Facts...not politics!

Laughing

ibis; the new spokesai for Libertas!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:45 am

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 am

Lord, that was a bizarre piece from John Palmer. "And remember Spain passed this in a referendum. Are their votes are to be ignored?"

WTF?

And the only people in Europe against this treaty are right wing euro-sceptics...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:09 am

MikeW wrote:
Lord, that was a bizarre piece from John Palmer. "And remember Spain passed this in a referendum. Are their votes are to be ignored?"

WTF?

And the only people in Europe against this treaty are right wing euro-sceptics...
Ultra conservative, far right wing, pro-life, eurosceptic nutters is, I believe, the full title. 
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:22 am

Good stuff on Q + A. I can't take it all in though, me head is a feckin' mess at this stage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:37 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Good stuff on Q + A. I can't take it all in though, me head is a feckin' mess at this stage.
There's a repeat on at 2:15. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

As in...in 3 hours ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:50 am

cookiemonster wrote:
MikeW wrote:

WTF?

Ultra conservative, far right wing, pro-life, eurosceptic nutters is, I believe, the full title.

Suits you, sir!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 am

Ibis, why did John Palmer say Spain and Lux had a Ref. That's not right is it ? Did you see q+a ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Go to www.rte.ie/news
and on the left hand side click on 'TV Programmes' and there's a list of most of the current affairs programmes on RTE which you should be able to watch online.
As I type tonight's Q&A isn't up there yet but it should be on within the next hour or two.
That link is much better than the normal www.rte.ie and I was going to suggest it be put on the side where all the other news links are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:56 am

Ibis, why did John Palmer say Spain and Lux had a Ref. That's not right is it ? Did you see q+a ?

Never watch TV (well, not since 1979). Spain and Luxembourg had referendums for the EU Constitution, if that's any help?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:01 am

ibis wrote:

Never watch TV (well, not since 1979). Spain and Luxembourg had referendums for the EU Constitution, if that's any help?

Oops. Yes, sorry, I forgot about the TV thing. How do you know what all these people look like ? Or does it not matter to you ?

Yes, I reckon that's what he was talking about, I misheard lots of stuff I'm sure.

I know I'm off topic, but is the full text of the Crotty judgement online ? I'd like to get this Constitutional milestone carved on my my medulla for future reference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 am

ibis wrote:
Ibis, why did John Palmer say Spain and Lux had a Ref. That's not right is it ? Did you see q a ?

Oops. Yes, sorry, I forgot about the TV thing. How do you know what all these people look like ? Or does it not matter to you ?

Doesn't matter a bit to me! I would know some of them from news pictures, but I find it better to think about what they're saying rather than watching them say it, I think.

Yes, I reckon that's what he was talking about, I misheard lots of stuff I'm sure.

I know I'm off topic, but is the full text of the Crotty judgement online ? I'd like to get this Constitutional milestone carved on my my medulla for future reference.

Here you go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 am

It was what he was talking about, but you didn't mishear. He used it as a reason not to kill Lisbon, though how that jived with France and Netherlands I'm not sure.

He has appeared a good bit over the last couple of days, but I don't quite get why his opinion is significant?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 am

MikeW wrote:

It was what he was talking about, but you didn't mishear. He used it as a reason not to kill Lisbon, though how that jived with France and Netherlands I'm not sure.

He has appeared a good bit over the last couple of days, but I don't quite get why his opinion is significant?

Mike, I never heard of the chap until tonight, and his opinion is not significant to me.
However, I thought I heard him saying Spain and Lux were havin a Ref on Lisbon. You are saying I heard it correctly. So he was lying ?

Or else they were due to have a Ref on EU constitution , but ratification ceased due to Fr and Neth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:50 am

No, they did have a referendum on the Constitution, and it passed in both countries. He was refering to it in much the same fashion as the No side uses France and Netherlands, but with even less justification.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:53 am

And Romania apparently, didn't know that. In Spain BTW it got 77% of the vote on 43% turnout.

Edit: Ah, because it was part of the accession treaty. Makes sense. Luxembourg was 56.5 - 43.5 btw.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Lisbon II looking more of a possibility

Independant.ie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 8:28 pm

From the CLR today, d'Estaing, in an interview with the Irish Times yesterday, takes one foot out of his mouth just to put the other in..

HERE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 9:23 pm

What if Germany rejects Lisbon ?
http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2008/06/what-if-germany-rejects-lisbon.html

According to the above blog, Germany and Italy are not hot favourites to unanimously approve this Treaty either, whichever way they vote.

I'm sure this kind of thing has happened in the run up to other treaty ratifications or has this one been the most divisive so far ?

Thread also on p.ie "German Left challenging EU Treaty":
http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=37826
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 11:55 pm

In today's Independant you have a classic example in the genre of an establishment journalist losing his temper about the freewill of the population. You could blame it as insulting if it was not so ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
From the CLR today, d'Estaing, in an interview with the Irish Times yesterday, takes one foot out of his mouth just to put the other in..

HERE

WorldbyStorm is posting up a storm over there since Lisbon. He missed out I think that Giscard in the same interview revealed that "even students and housewives" should be able to understand the Treaty". Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 1:41 pm

http://djnozem.blogspot.com/2008/06/euroblog-coverage-irish-no.html

This is a link to a great list of international blogs on the No vote - recommended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 12:20 pm

It seems like a good time to bump this thread, now that the Sarkozy visit is over.

The Lisbon Treaty can't be ratified without unanimity and is therefore dead. The possibility of a second Referendum in Ireland as a way of ratifiying it looks increasingly unlikely. A Conservative government in the U.K. (a probability at this stage) would be under extreme pressure to hold a referendum.

Is the Constitution/Reform Treaty project dying with a whimper?
In the absence of the bones of the Constitution project, will we see concerted attempts to introduce the meat throught other means and fora?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 7:13 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Is the Constitution/Reform Treaty project dying with a whimper?
In the absence of the bones of the Constitution project, will we see concerted attempts to introduce the meat throught other means and fora?

Wasn't there a suggestion that Lisbon lite could be introduced via the Croatia accession treaty?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lisbon Debate Continues   The Lisbon Debate Continues - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lisbon Debate Continues
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next