Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008

Go down 
AuthorMessage

MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 Empty
PostSubject: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:06 pm

World News

Like a Star @ heaven The number of people killed in the Burmese /Myanmar cyclone is now estimated as over 15,000.

LINK to CNN

The US backed military dictatorship are allowing limited access to aid agencies.

Like a Star @ heaven Bernanke of the Fed has said that action is needed to prevent foreclosures on home mortgages. 156,000 families have lost their homes so far this year in the US, and a further 1.8 million face rocketing "piggy back loan" increased repayments in the near future.

LINK TO CNN

Irish News

Aherne and Paisley open the Boyne Battle Site centre: important speeches:

LINK TO RTE Radio

Paisley gives Bertie a 200 year old copy of the St James version of the Bible: hopes for a conversion.

Like a Star @ heaven The Independent leads with an expected Brian Cowen cabinet shake up, 2/3 of speeding drivers not convicted on technicality and fears that City Centre bus-only plan has not been properly prepared.

LINK TO INDO

Like a Star @ heaven The Irish Times frontpage covers Kenny's call to Cowen to sack Harney, the cyclone in Burma and Christian Brothers plan to hand schools over to a Lay Trust.

LINK TO IT

Financial

Like a Star @ heaven Oil crosses $120 line - CNN

LINK

Agriculture and Food

Like a Star @ heaven Good wheat harvest expected - global price falls from current high by 40%

LINK TO INDO

Technology

Google backed lithium battery sports car launched
LINK TO CNN

Zero emissions - what is its carbon footprint?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:30 pm

bounce

RTE Radio: Battle of Boyne Site Opening (link in first post)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Good speech by both leaders I thought.

Paisley suggesting that he would sit down with Ahern, in his retirement, and satisfactorily expouse the meaning of the New Testament to him was particularly funny Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Take two:.... his description of an "Ecumenical Meeting Across Two Boiled Eggs" was even funnier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 7:55 pm

cactus flower wrote:

Irish News

Aherne and Paisley open the Boyne Battle Site centre: important speeches:

LINK TO RTE Radio

Paisley gives Bertie a 200 year old copy of the St James version of the Bible: hopes for a conversion.

Went today, quite an enjoyable day out. However, as someone who has studied history, I found that there was not enough depth to the exhibition and also that it was far too isolationist as to the importance of the event. I imagine that is owing to the contentious nature of whatever interpretation they might have posited as to the significance, but I do think a total avoidance was a cop out. Also didn't seem to be a book shop.

Nice day out though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm

[quote="cactus flower"]World News

Like a Star @ heaven The number of people killed in the Burmese /Myanmar cyclone is now estimated as over 15,000.

LINK to CNN

The US backed military dictatorship are allowing limited access to aid agencies.

OK Cactus - since we're acting the source junkie, back up that statement - "US backed". Last time i hung in that part of the world, t'was China that was doing most of the backing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 pm

Kev Bar, was there any other reason for resurrecting this thread which, given the lifespan of threads, is of some antiquity.

Owing to matters of serious concern which are currently being discussed on the website there has been a decision made by the moderators of the site (which includes me) to strictly enforce the site rules. This is a protection both for the site, for the moderators personally and indeed for yourself, even if you do not appreciate it.

I hope that clarifies the matter, if you want any further discussion on it, including why Cactus' comments are indeed perfectly fine given the law, please feel free to contact a member of the Content Team through the Private Message function rather than resurrecting old threads for the sake of it. By all means continue to do so if you have something positive to bring to the thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Thank you very much, johnfás, appreciated but Kev Bar has a fair point, and has picked me up on a bit of careless posting.

Kev Bar: there's nothing wrong with sources - if I had posted one here, it would have made for a far more accurate post. There are US oil and logging companies benefiting from the regime, but the US is not supporting it politically,
it appears to be sponsoring regime change. I wouldn't hold my breath looking for an improved situation for the population if they succeed.

What do you think of this by Endgahl -
http://agonist.org/20071016/geopolitical_jockeying_for_position_in_myanmar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008   MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008 Empty

Back to top Go down

MN News Review Tuesday 6th May 2008
Page 1 of 1