Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Just noticed Ard-Taoiseach, and only 240 posts to go to the 10,000...shall we just make a break for the line?
Back to top Go down

The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Just noticed Ard-Taoiseach, and only 240 posts to go to the 10,000...shall we just make a break for the line?

Well...I've got telly lined up for this evening, so I amn't too keen on staying on posting. I'd like the accolade of 10,000th poster as well. We post on average about 200 posts per day. How about we leave it till tomorrow morning?

We'd still be breaking for it(ie, making 200 posts in 12, not 24 hours) while not interrupting my night's viewing. Fair?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Sorry Ard Taoiseach, but Audi and Hermes (fleet of foot?) are here, so all bets are off. Basketball
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:46 pm

What's on tv that I'm missing? (there's about 65 posts to go before the 10,000th by the way)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
What's on tv that I'm missing? (there's about 65 posts to go before the 10,000th by the way)

It reading about 230 from where I'm sitting. Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: HOVER YOUR MOUSE HERE THEN LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BROWSER   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:59 pm

Yeah a rake of posts were deleted Wink

If you hover your mouse over the text there (sorry for shouting) or click then you should see the number at the end either below or above in the address bar. The number at the end of the string.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 12:39 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Yeah a rake of posts were deleted Wink

If you hover your mouse over the text there (sorry for shouting) or click then you should see the number at the end either below or above in the address bar. The number at the end of the string.

Holy Moloney Auditor#9 - thanks for that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:00 pm

bump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Could we have a "Traditions" section of the Charter? I'm thinking of our policy to give cups of tea to our many new-comers, couldn't that be written into a codified form?

Also, as the site grows, more traditions will emerge, it would be nice to have them all compiled in one place, especially for new users. It will enable them to get quickly settled in and aware of how we do things around here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Could we have a "Traditions" section of the Charter? I'm thinking of our policy to give cups of tea to our many new-comers, couldn't that be written into a codified form?

Also, as the site grows, more traditions will emerge, it would be nice to have them all compiled in one place, especially for new users. It will enable them to get quickly settled in and aware of how we do things around here.

So long as you promise not ever to mention a site brothel again, Ard-Taoiseach, that will be no problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

So long as you promise not ever to mention a site brothel again, Ard-Taoiseach, that will be no problem.

Is that objectionable to you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I think there are probably many other websites better equipped than this one to offer that type of service.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I think there are probably many other websites better equipped than this one to offer that type of service.

That is more than true, I'm prepared to concede on that point as long as you support my "Traditions" idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:17 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Very Happy

I'm glad we can agree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Looks good to me, cf. Though I may have jaundiced eyes at this stage, it's so familiar to me.

It would be interesting to get some feedback from other posters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am

Kate P wrote:
Looks good to me, cf. Though I may have jaundiced eyes at this stage, it's so familiar to me.

It would be interesting to get some feedback from other posters.

I've pmd the members and am looking forward to some replies on this thread: quite a few have already made suggestions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 am

Hmm, shall a few of us attempt a translation of the charter? It seems fairly straight forward.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 am

all looks wonderful, wish i had more time to post...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:05 am

irishbeergirl wrote:

Thanks irishbeergirl - you must be working hard. Throw a thread title in and we will work away at it for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:06 am

Right, on foot of cactus flower's PM, I'm going to contribute further to the development of our site's policy.

Auditor #9 wrote:
Rules:
• Members may only have one account/identity.

How are we going to enforce this? feenxp was banned 23 times by andrew over on P,ie and they still kept coming back. Risteard, stir dear, red stir etc kept coming back as well. This will be tough to do. Is there any way of blocking these people permanently, once their double/triple/quintuple accounts are descovered?

Quote :
• Differences in opinion are not to be used as reason to inflict insult or belittle other members. Bullying or threatening other posters is not allowed.

Definitely not.
Quote :
• Stating or repeating anything which may be defamatory is not allowed.

Could we get a firm definition of what exactly is defamatory, so we're not being unfair or illegal. It would clarify matters.

Quote :
• Threatening anybody with legal action, directly or indirectly, is a banning offence

Even if the threat is justified? What if a user was being defamed and the user in question wanted to stop their defamer by threatening legal action, wouldn't they be justified?
Quote :
• Incitement to hatred or discrimination based on factors such as gender, politics, race, religion, sexual orientation etc. is not allowed.

That's another one which is fine.
Quote :
• Do not post images or text that is exploitative, crude or sexual in nature.

This miight need to be more clearly defined.
Quote :
• Publication of members’ identities or personal information without their permission or threatening to do so is a banning offence.

Good stuff.
Quote :
• Impersonating another real individual or using another poster's identity is a banning offence.

Is it possible to ascertain whether or not this is occurring? If so, I'm fine with this part.
Quote :
• If you post text, photos, or other media, you must make sure it isn’t protected by copyright. For written posts, a short quote, stating where it is from, and a link to the source is best.

Well, I think this rule rules out a large number of pictures already posted on these threads. Not all of them can have been open-source.
Quote :
• Do not give legal, business or other professional advice as this may possibly expose you or the site and the site to legal action.

Or at least couch it in terms that save you from any judicial procedure.
Quote :
• Posters are prohibited by law and by the forum rules from publishing tips, warnings or recommendations on share prices.

Then how can we discuss share prices, if we cannot give opinions like that on their respective worth? Perhaps we should create a sticky on how to discuss shares legally, adding provisos like "It could be argued that this share is a buying opportunity..", "Leading institutions recommend this investment and I respect their judgement.." or "It is believed that this share may fall significantly in the days ahead, but don't take it from me. Consult a financial advisor before making any moves" etc.
Quote :
• Do not discuss current legal cases on the site
• Members must not place advertisements on the site.

What constitutes an advertisment? The Libertas Roadshow thread could be considered an ad for the events. My Rich List thread could be described as an ad for same. Should they go, or are we simply referring to spam ads posted by people who register simply for this purpose?
Quote :
• Members agree to take full responsibility for their own comments and to hold Machine Nation and all other individuals connected with Machine Nation harmless against any loss, liability, costs or expenses arising from any such comments. Members post all comments at their sole risk to the fullest extent possible at law.

My kind of lingo. Personal responsibility. A conservative's delight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:09 am

Thanks Ard Taoiseach - brilliant stuff and will all be taken on board. Any more ideas about the Shares stuff? Do you know what that legislation is? I don't have much on that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:15 am

cactus flower wrote:
Thanks Ard Taoiseach - brilliant stuff and will all be taken on board. Any more ideas about the Shares stuff? Do you know what that legislation is? I don't have much on that.

What I do know is three years of Yes Minister. There are ways to talk about things without anyone else knowing what it is that you are talking about. I recommend we simply skip around any legal pot-holes with our exceptionally extensive eloquence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:24 am

irishbeergirl wrote:
You could just go for a pint in the Síbín Reoite! If you play darts then maybe we'll set up a dart board for you.

Anyway, thanks ArdTaoiseach for goint through that Charter and picking out some stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 am

V. comprehensive. I like it for what that's worth... Ard-Taoiseach is right that there are loopholes, but, at least if the principles are sorted out from the off then the chances of maintaining some sort of collective and individually responsible approach to posting here is feasible. Re shares, is that a serious issue? Sorry, pun... no, just thinking that financial boards would have regs for that sort of thing that could be copied...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions   The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Charter and site policies for feedback, comments, suggestions
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next