Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this Day; 13th April through the ages.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this Day; 13th April through the ages. Empty
PostSubject: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Here's a sampling of today's history:

1975: Beirut street battle leaves 17 dead
At least 17 people are killed and 30 wounded in a gun battle between Palestinian guerrillas and Christian militants in Beirut.

1992: Labour's Neil Kinnock resigns
Neil Kinnock resigns as Labour Party leader blaming the Conservative-backed press for his party's defeat at the general election.

1989: Six killed in West Bank village raid
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an early morning raid by Israeli soldiers on an Arab village on the West Bank.

1975: 'Cambridge rapist' strikes again
Police believe a woman attacked in the early hours of Sunday morning was the sixth victim of a serial rapist operating in Cambridge.

1964: Poitier breaks new ground with Oscar win
Sidney Poitier has become the first black person to win the best actor Oscar.

1997: Tiger Woods wins Masters at 21
Golfing sensation Tiger Woods wins the US Masters, the youngest player ever to do so.

Oh, and it's my birthday btw!

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Happy Birthday to you... (I respect you too much to sing to you...)

Congrats!!! drunken jocolor king sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 2:51 pm

Kate P wrote:
Happy Birthday to you... (I respect you too much to sing to you...)

Congrats!!! drunken jocolor king sunny

I'm delighted to have the History Modship to post that! Séamus Heaney, Garry Kasparov will be also blowing out the candles today. And throughout history, Samuel Beckett and Thomas Jefferson would've celebrated it today as well!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:29 pm

AT it's really your birthday ...?! Seriously? Now, I always secretly harboured the suspicion that you and nds were the same individual - turns out your birthdays are a day apart...

There really could be something in astrology you know ...

Happy Birthday !!
clown cheers pig alien farao king drunken flower study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: On this day 13 April in Irish History   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:49 pm

[size=12]13 April 1742: George Frederic Handel conducted the first performance of his Messiah, in the New Music Hall, Fishamble Street, with the help of the choirs from St. Patrick's and Christ Church. The £400 proceeds were given to Mercer's Hospital, the Charitable Infirmary and for the relief of prisoners.[/size]

13 April 1793: Committee of Dublin Society of United Irishmen agree principal recommendations for plan of refrom. They include calls for universal suffrage, yearly parliaments and payment of members of parliament. Committee hesitant about abolition of property qualification for electoral franchise -- a majority of two were in favour of such a move. (General publication of the plan deferred until 1794.)

13 April 1825: Thomas D'arcy McGee - Nationalist, writer, Canadian politician was born at Carlingford, Co. Louth on this day.

13 April 1906: The playwright Samuel Beckett was born in County Dublin on this day. In the 1920's he made Paris his home and wrote he wrote Eleutheria, Waiting for Godot, Endgame, the novels Malloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable, and Mercier et Camier, two books of short stories, and a book of criticism.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Brandubh wrote:
[size=12]13 April 1742: George Frederic Handel conducted the first performance of his Messiah, in the New Music Hall, Fishamble Street, with the help of the choirs from St. Patrick's and Christ Church. The £400 proceeds were given to Mercer's Hospital, the Charitable Infirmary and for the relief of prisoners.[/size]

13 April 1793: Committee of Dublin Society of United Irishmen agree principal recommendations for plan of refrom. They include calls for universal suffrage, yearly parliaments and payment of members of parliament. Committee hesitant about abolition of property qualification for electoral franchise -- a majority of two were in favour of such a move. (General publication of the plan deferred until 1794.)

13 April 1825: Thomas D'arcy McGee - Nationalist, writer, Canadian politician was born at Carlingford, Co. Louth on this day.

13 April 1906: The playwright Samuel Beckett was born in County Dublin on this day. In the 1920's he made Paris his home and wrote he wrote Eleutheria, Waiting for Godot, Endgame, the novels Malloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable, and Mercier et Camier, two books of short stories, and a book of criticism.

Seems to have been a good day Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
AT it's really your birthday ...?! Seriously? Now, I always secretly harboured the suspicion that you and nds were the same individual - turns out your birthdays are a day apart...

Happy Birthday !!

Thank you, Auditor #9, I'm very much obliged and I'm flattered to be thought to be NDS as well. Thanks very much lads and lasses!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Happy Birthday !!

Thank you, Auditor #9, I'm very much obliged and I'm flattered to be thought to be NDS as well. Thanks very much lads and lasses!

I tried to find some appropriate singing, and given the day that's in it, thought something from Messiah might be better than a mere Happy Birthday.

Happy Birthday Ard-Taoiseach, and many more of them to come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Happy Birthday !!

I tried to find some appropriate singing, and given the day that's in it, thought something from Messiah might be better than a mere Happy Birthday.

Happy Birthday Ard-Taoiseach, and many more of them to come.

That's beautiful, cactus flower, an excellent choice of music. It goes very well with all the gifts I've been getting all weekend. I'll be riding this high through the week, one of the best birthdays I've had in a while, I have to say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:03 pm

On this Day; 13th April through the ages. Aries3
Brought to you by MysticMeg
Definition of Sign: Aries The Ram. The first sign of the zodiac. Its symbol represents the head and horns of the ram. It is a symbol of offensive power - a weapon of the gods, hence an implement of the will. The Babylonians sacrificed rams during the period when the Sun occupied this sign, which occurs annually from March 21 to April 20. Astrologically and astronomically it is the first thirty-degree arc beginning at the point of the Spring Equinox. It is the Leading quality of the Fire element: positive, diurnal, movable, dry, hot, fiery, choleric and violent.

Ruler: Mars. Exaltation: Sun. Detriment: Venus. Fall: Saturn.

Temperamental Aries

...Who works from morn to set of Sun,

...And never likes to be outdone?

...Whose walk is almost like a run?

......Who? Aries.

Symbolic interpretation: Sprouting seed; fire in eruption; a fountain of water; a ram's horns.

Aries is the embodiment of Self, the will to manifest, the adventurous spirit; desire, initiative and courage.

...First from the east, the Ram conducts the year;

...Whom Ptolemy with twice nine stars adorns. - Aratus.

First Decan: activity, adventure, zeal, notoriety, dishonor, misfortune. Second Decan: noble affections as the source of power to sway others - the head joined to the impulses of the heart. It is the decan of Exaltation, in that the Sun is exalted in the nineteenth degree of the Sign.

Third Decan: Propaganda, the spiritual possibilities of the valiant heart at grips with sordid conditions.

More astro sh%te
Even more - maybe the best
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 pm

I won't quote you're post, Auditor #9, because it's quite long. Interesting stuff there. I know these things are quite broad and don't really apply to any one individual, but I think they are fairly close to the mark in parts. I am a risk-taker in that I'll go for things that others would be a bit wary of and I have been in several leadership positions in teams and in organisations before. This is a great opportunity for old-fashioned narcissism!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this Day; 13th April through the ages.   On this Day; 13th April through the ages. Empty

Back to top Go down

On this Day; 13th April through the ages.
Page 1 of 1