Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Do you not like swimming in the sea in the cold? I was swimming in the forty foot last week.

Last edited by johnfás on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Is that anywhere near Forty Foot? Sorry ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Sorry, half asleep. The nature of the fiduciary duties a trustee owes to a beneficiary just isn't doing it for me anymore...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 pm

I always make that mistake too and Googled it before my smartarse post to be sure. Until now, I never knew why it was called Forty Foot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 pm

johnfás wrote:
Do you not like swimming in the sea in the cold? I was swimming in the forty foot last week.

While I much prefer cooler climes, I'd much rather swim in the Caribbean. The Irish waters during winter aren't too hospitable. Much more an act of contrition than a pleasant experience. The pleasure only comes from warming up and realising that one's heart is still strong enough to take the shock.

Mind you, I watched an old codger (at least 80+ years old) many, many moons ago strip down to the nip (strange sight in a big city) and jump off the forty foot during winter.

He was holding the family jewels as he jumped. I'd say they devalued somewhat when he hit the water - but enough of that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Did I just hear Dobson say that the FG vote is actually higher amongst "working class" people than the Labour vote? That is a surprise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:36 pm

unaligned wrote:
You'll find details of the reformed selection procedures here: http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/21stcenturycommission.pdf. It's a very readable document. The primary reason given for diluting the link with the Trade Unions:

The focus of many modern reforms within the Labour Party have been towards empowering individual members to make the most important decision within the Party, including selecting candidates as well as electing the Leader and Deputy Leader. In this context it is clear that the concept of group membership has become less relevant within a modern political party...

The root of the issue:

It is in our view incompatible with the objectives of a modern progressive political party that votes are cast at a Party Conference based not on the number of Party members a delegate represents but on the number of members of that delegate’s own organisation – when the bulk of those affiliated members are not Party members, Party supporters or even Party voters.

Its exactly the same debate as took place in the British Labour Party and the same rationale for severing the link with the Unions. It is ideologically a move from a party of the working class based on its organisations, to a party focused on middle class people who perceive themselves as individuals. The political drift to the right will follow on as night follows day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:47 pm

johnfás wrote:
Did I just hear Dobson say that the FG vote is actually higher amongst "working class" people than the Labour vote? That is a surprise.

Yes. FG is also I think the most popular with voters from 18-24 and Kenny's biggest appeal is to working class voters. Labour is quite weak among working class support but strong among public servants. Fianna Fáil is outperformed by Fine Gael among all categories but skilled manual.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm not surprised about the 18-24 age group. It was apparent when I was at College that FG had by far the most support amongst that age group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!   Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Latest IT/ mrbi Poll - FF in Third Place! Labour up 10!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2