Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Anti Virus

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:57 pm

More computer questions Very Happy.

As you all know I got my brandspanking new laptop. Today I added the extra 1gb of ram which I bought separately so now I have 2gb of ram - woohoo!

I have now made the time to get virus scanning etc set up on the computer (it didn't come with any). Can anyone recommend the best, preferably but not necessarily, free virus/firewall/anti advertising software out there?

Some options I have noticed so far:

1) I can get Avast anti virus for free
2) I can probably still get Sophos anti virus through my UCD account for free
3) AdAware is also free

I need advice 'cos I dunno what I'm talking about...
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 am

Anti-virus software is a virus.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 am

Get Linux!
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 am

Firewall built into the kernel, lives in 30% of my 1gb main memory as oppposed to vista 60%.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 am

Are you using kubuntu or ubuntu or both evercloserunion?

Did you have any problems installing it with hardware compatibility or anything?

The day a pc comes on the market with ubuntu capable of being installed flawlessly on it will be a black day indeed for microsoft.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:58 am

I've been using Ubuntu practically since the first edition. But until this month, I'd not been using it frequently. Now I use it for everything. I've installed the latest upgrade (Intrepid Ibex) and am very impressed.

I can still use the software I used on Windows, games included, by utilising a package called WINE. If truth be told, so far, they run faster and with less hangs, than they did on windows. Though in truth, it's only been a few days, so I'm not fully convinced as of yet, but I am impressed and quite hopeful.

I still have by laptop set to dual boot but I intend to scrub all traces of the Microsoft virus from it before the next month passes. Provided that everything goes well.

Regarding virus protection for windows. I've never used any whatsoever. They tend to be a massive drain on system resources and slow stuff down. A good firewall and safe internet practices has stood me well. I've never been struck by a virus. A good tip I suppose would be to keep JavaScript turned off until you're sure that a particular site or page isn't out to screw you. Other than that, get C Cleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, and XP antispy (all free). If you're using Vista, wipe it and install Windows Media Centre (a fairly stable variant of XP pro).
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 am

UBUNTU 4 EVA
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 2:45 am

Don't know much about computers but the bloke who sold me my one installed AVG for me and reckoned its a good as anything you can buy. I've not had any problems with virus' etc from it. If you are interested google it, its available free (there is a paid version, I don't know what your money gets you extra) and updates regularly (automatically).
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 3:06 am

Don't use Outlook or Outlook Express, don't use IE, and don't open spam emails. I run Windows on 4 machines, have done for a dozen years - no anti-virus, and no viruses (I occasionally download demos and run a sweep). I use Kerio Personal Firewall - again, turn off the Microsoft stuff.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 am

All the reviews of sophos online seem fairly good. And yup I checked it out I can still get it free through UC double D...
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 3:33 am

I've tried the free downloads in the past for windows - avisa I think - and there's no reason it shouldn't work ok unless it's constantly trying to sell itself and annoying you.

Seriously, virus checkers switch themselves on when you least expect it, they're like ghosts that spook you and you think you need them.

Windows comes with loads of stuff switched on and you have to switch it off whereas linux comes with everything switched off and you have to switch stuff on. I think there's a growing few of us here now who would recommend linux - it's a sweet system.

Having said that I've never had a problem with a Windows system and I think the biggest annoyance about vista ahhh we won't go there.

Did anyone ever get a virus on their mobile phone ?
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 3:35 am

Never had a virus on my mobile phone... broken lots of mobile phones though. I probably can't get a virus on mine because I always buy the cheapest available. I'm forever dropping them and finding they don't work when I pick them up off the ground.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:35 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Are you using kubuntu or ubuntu or both evercloserunion?

Did you have any problems installing it with hardware compatibility or anything?

The day a pc comes on the market with ubuntu capable of being installed flawlessly on it will be a black day indeed for microsoft.
I use Kubuntu myself. To be honest I've never had any hardship due to compatibility issues. There are a couple of games I can only play on Windows but I don't generally bother because once you go Linux you never go back, and now Windows pisses the hell out of me not least because of its slowness. But a good portion of games can simply be emulated on WINE, allowing flawless or near flawless compatibility. And virtually every other program you might want to use has an open source equivalent that works on Linux.

Microsoft recently acknowledged for the first time that Linux has had a detrimental effect on their market share.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:38 am

johnfás wrote:
More computer questions Very Happy.

As you all know I got my brandspanking new laptop. Today I added the extra 1gb of ram which I bought separately so now I have 2gb of ram - woohoo!

I have now made the time to get virus scanning etc set up on the computer (it didn't come with any). Can anyone recommend the best, preferably but not necessarily, free virus/firewall/anti advertising software out there?

Hi johnfás,

I know a little bit. I can’t say this software is
foolproof, without knowing your operating system (XP, Vista?) but I can face
you in the right direction. (I’m assuming you have XP)

Anti-Virus: I’ve been using AVG Free for nigh on 6 years now and I’ve never had any problems. Go
to their website http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
& be sure to d/l the FREE version. When d/led click the installer and
follow the default instructions.

Once you’ve installed it you might want to change the prog’s
system startup settings as having AVG startup every time you turn on your shiny
new lappy and running constantly is just a waste of resources, and that extra gig you installed; so after
installing/updating/scanning your machine with AVG you’d probably want to remove the
prog from your Win startup: to do this click the "Start" button, select Run from Windows menu, type “msconfig” in the run field and click "OK" .

This will open Microsoft’s sys config utility, in this
window select “Startup” tab. From the list of startup items untick the AVG box
(if you can’t see it just check for “Grisoft” etc). Then click "Apply" & "OK" & don’t opt to restart your machine.

Voila, you’re now protected (a gentleman should always have
protection)

If you’re on a budget I’d recommend ZoneAlarm, a great free
firewall http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-gb/compare-anti-virus-spyware-software.htm. Unfortunately it lacks much of the porting functionality of Symantec’s product, but
on the upside you won’t have to pay a monthly subscription fee.

Finally as a poster mentioned above, Spybot is a great
little free spyware scanner-http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Installing Spybot also installs a wonderful utility called
TeaTimer that will protect your shiny new laptop's registry from unwanted interference.

Hope this helps Smile

p.s. if you're using Vista well that's a whole other can o' worms.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 am

I have the AVG this last five years and have never had a problem and it seems to keep those dastardly google mining bots at bay (I hope). Snapple's advice isn't too far off the mark there johnfás
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:51 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
I have the AVG this last five years and have never had a problem and it seems to keep those dastardly google mining bots at bay (I hope). Snapple's advice isn't too far off the mark there johnfás

Hey SeathrúnCeitinn,
I know you don't I????
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 am

Yep, I definitely-maybe think I do..
It's the Gaelige gave you away Smile
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 am

snapple drinker wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Hey SeathrúnCeitinn,
I know you don't I????

I don't think so. I don't have a corporeal form.
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:08 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
snapple drinker wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Hey SeathrúnCeitinn,
I know you don't I????

What a Face Who does these days,

yeh_but_no_but srsly in your previous incarnation you haunted P.ie Towers,
MN seems to be acting like some kind of surreal psychic ouija board.

*Looks around darkened room*

Elvis?
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:15 am

snapple drinker wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
snapple drinker wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Hey SeathrúnCeitinn,
I know you don't I????

What a Face Who does these days,

yeh_but_no_but srsly in your previous incarnation you haunted P.ie Towers,
MN seems to be acting like some kind of surreal psychic ouija board.

*Looks around darkened room*

Elvis?
you out there?

Elvis has left the building
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:18 am

lol!
Back to top Go down

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:34 am

johnfás wrote:
Never had a virus on my mobile phone... broken lots of mobile phones though. I probably can't get a virus on mine because I always buy the cheapest available. I'm forever dropping them and finding they don't work when I pick them up off the ground.

I've just bought an iphone - decent upgrade with O2 who owe me because I haven't had an upgrade since I signed up with them four years ago.

I put it on the house insurance rather than the 13E per month affraid plan they were offering.

Dreading the prospect of getting involved with itunes and ieverything. Which is why it's sitting pretty in the box.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anti Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti Virus   Anti Virus Empty

Back to top Go down

Anti Virus
Page 1 of 1