Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes   Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 9:00 pm

cactus flower wrote:
905 wrote:
Ain't that always the way? I hear the US is the only one on the SC still pushing for a full conviction of al-Bashir, the president of Sudan.

Unless you tell me more, I'll be at a loss what to make of that.
Sorry, Sudan's president, Oman al-Bashir, is up for genocide charges. One thing the Americans deserve credit for is pushing this all the way. Now that the charge date is looming, many SC countries are looking for a compromise deal, promising to use something called article 16. Article 16, as I understand it, postpones any investigation for a year if invoked. It can be invoked indefinitely.

Russia and China were always going to be dodgy on this one, but the French and British should know better. Here's a good article to sum it all up: Reuters: France might be open to deal on Sudan's Bashir.

My point is that overall consensus on something that excludes the US is not always a bad thing. Of course, you might agree with the French on Sudan and thast's fair enough. You could also say I'm off-topic. I've considered opening a thread on this topic.
Back to top Go down

Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes   Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 9:03 pm

905 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
905 wrote:
Ain't that always the way? I hear the US is the only one on the SC still pushing for a full conviction of al-Bashir, the president of Sudan.

Unless you tell me more, I'll be at a loss what to make of that.
Sorry, Sudan's president, Oman al-Bashir, is up for genocide charges. One thing the Americans deserve credit for is pushing this all the way. Now that the charge date is looming, many SC countries are looking for a compromise deal, promising to use something called article 16. Article 16, as I understand it, postpones any investigation for a year if invoked. It can be invoked indefinitely.

Russia and China were always going to be dodgy on this one, but the French and British should know better. Here's a good article to sum it all up: Reuters: France might be open to deal on Sudan's Bashir.

My point is that overall consensus on something that excludes the US is not always a bad thing. Of course, you might agree with the French on Sudan and thast's fair enough. You could also say I'm off-topic. I've considered opening a thread on this topic.

Please do. It would be very interesting.
Back to top Go down

Upcoming ICC Ruling on Darfur War-Crimes
Page 1 of 1