Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating here?
Yes
Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vote_lcap90%Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 90% [ 18 ]
No
Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 10:12 pm

yehbut_nobut wrote:
floatingingalway wrote:
I've just recieved a brochure from Triodos in the post. I have emailed them to ask about setting up account as an Irish resident. Will keep you all posted

Great! have you asked anyone else to express their interest? Hopefully lots of other people are doing the same. Remember something like this can only work if a significant "critical mass" of people make their interest known. After that it's up to the the banks board to make a strategic decision on whether to enter the market here.

so spread the word!!!
As soon as I get more info on Irish residents opening an account I am planning to put together an email for sending around with the Triodos info and also the Bank Secrets link. A friend of mine has been on the case in Belgium for quite a while and has persuaded at least 10 people to switch accounts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 am

Worried that your banked money is being loaned out to people who do stuff like this :

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vivisection_apr_05

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vivisection

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Cmp_vivi1

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Vivisection19

http://www.free.org.il/english/gallery/vivisection.html

Vote on our poll for an ethical bank !

Sweet dreams !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 am

Dunno - ethics can be a hard thingy to nail down

I'd settle for an Irish bank that is just competent and solvent right now.

Anybody being watching this series

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/A/ascent-of-money/index.html

It is written and presented by the ever watchable and listenable Niall Ferguson.

I don't agree with all his theories ,but he is never less than thought-provoking and the programme appears well produced and bang up to date - RTE will probably get around to something like this in 4 years time. Give him one thing - he made a better fist of explaining Government bonds to my father than anybody else yet!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:35 am

Is there a link on that site which shows the show Edo ?

It's of course a great point that the nailing down of the ethical thing is not so straightforward. Some of the vivisection above may be for productive medical research, then again it may be for the latest CK bla bla bla apres rasage.

It'd be something to see banks actively funding for local projects though - something you can see, not something far away that you have to go and check with a camera, interciew gear etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:40 am

theres the link audy

http://www.channel4.com/video/brandless-catchup.jsp?vodBrand=the-ascent-of-money

There have been 2 out of six episodes shown so far.

Dunno if it works - if you have Satellite you can watch it on More 4 later in the week
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 am

It doesn't seem to work and I have satellite so I'll try to see it on More 4. It might be on youtube too. There are tons of good amateurs on youtube talking about banks and this kind of thing. It's mighty. Have you any favourites or recommendations ? I like Karl Denninger - kdenninger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:25 am

Ethical anything is a difficult concept when things are so interconnected. I think we need to focus on 'more ethical' rather than an assumption that all these things that brand themselves as 'ethical' actually are.

I wonder does the ethical banker switch off his computer monitor at night...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:31 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
It doesn't seem to work and I have satellite so I'll try to see it on More 4. It might be on youtube too. There are tons of good amateurs on youtube talking about banks and this kind of thing. It's mighty. Have you any favourites or recommendations ? I like Karl Denninger - kdenninger.

Funny that - I've just being watching a bit of it for the last 10 mins and it worked grand - and Im no genius when it comes to this stuff.- oh well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:33 am

Edo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Funny that - I've just being watching a bit of it for the last 10 mins and it worked grand - and Im no genius when it comes to this stuff.- oh well

Sorry you're totally correct - i'm using firefox and the little popup box said IE 8 or 9. I think I have one of them somewhere.

Will we ever really learn about money though ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:36 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Edo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Sorry you're totally correct - i'm using firefox and the little popup box said IE 8 or 9. I think I have one of them somewhere.

same here - using firefox aswell - come to think of it tho - it did ask me to update me media player before proceeding
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:37 am

Silly website not permitting Firefox... who uses IE these days? Pah!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I just recieved reply from Triodos re account. I'm not sure what it means really. Can anyone translate this into layman's language ;-
Quote :
Thank you for your reply. In order to open an account with Triodos in the UK an opening deposit must be made into the account from a Sterling account in your name drawn upon a bank in the UK, although you may be residing outside the UK.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:40 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
I just recieved reply from Triodos re account. I'm not sure what it means really. Can anyone translate this into layman's language ;-
Quote :
Thank you for your reply. In order to open an account with Triodos in the UK an opening deposit must be made into the account from a Sterling account in your name drawn upon a bank in the UK, although you may be residing outside the UK.

maybe you need to take a spin to Newry in the next while to an Ulster Bank or other there ? How difficult is it to open a bank account these days - you need to have an address in yourthe foreign country or will an EU passport do or ????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:42 pm

If you have an AIB account it is very easy to open a UK based one. I would imagine the same is true of BOI but I bank with AIB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:43 pm

I've emailed him back to ask that very question. I also asked what their plans are for expansion into Ireland and have told him that I would actively encourage all my friends to join if they did.
Edit ; see johnfas's post above
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Ok. I've just got off the phone to my local branch of AIB. All you need is proof of address and photo i.d. An Irish address will do. It takes about 3 days to set up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Edo wrote:
Dunno - ethics can be a hard thingy to nail down

I'd settle for an Irish bank that is just competent and solvent right now.

Anybody being watching this series

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/A/ascent-of-money/index.html

It is written and presented by the ever watchable and listenable Niall Ferguson.

I don't agree with all his theories ,but he is never less than thought-provoking and the programme appears well produced and bang up to date - RTE will probably get around to something like this in 4 years time. Give him one thing - he made a better fist of explaining Government bonds to my father than anybody else yet!

I watched it Edo and I thought it was really great. I wonder is there a "book of the series". He explained that bonds were created so that Nation states could afford to go to war with each other. I would watch it again if I had the chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm on a phone mission today. I've just got off the phone to Triodos. I chatted to the guy who's been emailing me. He has received quite a few emails from Ireland in the last few days. Well done folks!
He is on the case and is going to put together a formal response in the next few days. Will keep you posted
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Is there an email link here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks. I am very interested. A co-operative bank would also be interesting as would a bank with Islamic banking principles. Credit Union banking is another possibility. It would be good if we could investigate the options here.

As the entire Irish banking system is turning into a non-sustainable morass, the prospects of starting afresh are very attractive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Presumably your money is held in sterling though. Just be careful that you don't get hurt by exchange rate fluctuations.

On the balance of probabilities you are probably going to make money if you put it into sterling now though. I've transfered a fair bit of cash to my sterling account in recent weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:31 pm

johnfás wrote:
Presumably your money is held in sterling though. Just be careful that you don't get hurt by exchange rate fluctuations.

On the balance of probabilities you are probably going to make money if you put it into sterling now though. I've transfered a fair bit of cash to my sterling account in recent weeks.
Is your sterling account covered by the Irish bank guarantee?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 2:33 pm

It is if it is with an Irish bank. I don't have a sterling AIB account, I just knew that you could open one very easily.

My UK accounts are not covered by the Irish guarantee but I am not particularly worried either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 3:21 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
I'm on a phone mission today. I've just got off the phone to Triodos. I chatted to the guy who's been emailing me. He has received quite a few emails from Ireland in the last few days. Well done folks!
He is on the case and is going to put together a formal response in the next few days. Will keep you posted

That's Brilliant! Well done FloatingG!! Look forward to hearing the response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?   Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you like to see an ethical bank operating in Ireland?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next