Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

I'm new here

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi, this is my "I'm new here" post!
I'll have a look around and will no doubt start chatting soon.
Well after lunch.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Qu1zMaster wrote:
Hi, this is my "I'm new here" post!
I'll have a look around and will no doubt start chatting soon.
Well after lunch.

Fáilte romhat agus do chupán tae!:

I'm new here Cup_of_tea

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : delete my ice-cream pre-occupation!)
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Oh, I'd recommend you sign your name here.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Welcome Qu1zMaster - delighted you signed on. We're good ones for going off-topic here as well - recently bi-lingually too thanks to Ard-Taoiseach and others...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Going off topic ?? Whatever does that mean ?

Hi Quiz. Cool
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Welcome Qu1zMaster - delighted you signed on. We're good ones for going off-topic here as well - recently bi-lingually too thanks to Ard-Taoiseach and others...

Seafóid glan! Táim i gcónaí ar an dtopic! Smile
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Seafóid glan! Táim i gcónaí ar an dtopic! Smile

Níor imigh mé ón toipic riamh.Fáilte reoit' = an-mhaith Laughing
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Your very welcome Quizmaster flower
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Welcome Qu1z, how are things with you?
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 5:38 am

Welcome Quiz! ... Try Twinings Assam Cool

And yet another question to everyone else! God I'll drive you all mad with these questions, but ... at what point in my emigration did "romhat" become "reoit"?!?! Question this is a genuine question, sorry.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 5:42 am

Atticus wrote:

And yet another question to everyone else! God I'll drive you all mad with these questions, but ... at what point in my emigration did "romhat" become "reoit"?!?! Question this is a genuine question, sorry.

I took it to be one of Seathrún's quirky puns... keeps you on your linguistic toes, that guy.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 am

Kate P wrote:
Atticus wrote:

I took it to be one of Seathrún's quirky puns... keeps you on your linguistic toes, that guy.

yeah just got that. Embarassed Only have the remnants of basic Irish to my shame so forgive my slowness there. Must remedy that.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 am

Atticus wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Atticus wrote:

yeah just got that. Embarassed Only have the remnants of basic Irish to my shame so forgive my slowness there. Must remedy that.

Not at all! You're in good company here - a lot of us are refamiliarising ourselves and startlingly (and very reassuringly) nobody every complains if you drop a massive clanger. 'Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla cliste' is the motto.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 am

Das geht doch schon!
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 am

Kate P wrote:
Atticus wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Atticus wrote:

Not at all! You're in good company here - a lot of us are refamiliarising ourselves and startlingly (and very reassuringly) nobody every complains if you drop a massive clanger. 'Is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Béarla cliste' is the motto.

...and even that's beyond me.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:31 am

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

briste (brishta) is broken, cliste (clishta) is clever - you could drop both of those words into the occasional post, ibis.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 6:59 am

Kate P wrote:

briste (brishta) is broken, cliste (clishta) is clever - you could drop both of those words into the occasional post, ibis.

Perhaps, from time to time....I'm quite a happy monoglot, particularly since I feel that learning just one language properly is a lifetime's work (and completely pointless, as a result).
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 7:11 am

Wasn't it Dali who said we should never fear perfection - because we'll never attain it?
Do you feel at a loss because you have only 'cúpla feck-all', as you've said before?
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Kate P wrote:
Wasn't it Dali who said we should never fear perfection - because we'll never attain it?
Do you feel at a loss because you have only 'cúpla feck-all', as you've said before?

Only in Krugers'!
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Kate P wrote:

I always felt that was a quitters attitude. :-)

Gaeilge bhriste is atrocious, gaeilge chliste is divine.

Last edited by riadach on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:46 pm

ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:

Perhaps, from time to time....I'm quite a happy monoglot, particularly since I feel that learning just one language properly is a lifetime's work (and completely pointless, as a result).

Maybe, but as one author once said, a man who speaks no other language, never properly understands his own.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:53 pm

riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:

Maybe, but as one author once said, a man who speaks no other language, never properly understands his own.

Indeed - but I can read Latin, Greek, Spanish, Norwegian and a couple of others, and speak French (all fairly slowly, mind) , so I don't worry too much. I'm only a monoglot in English/Irish terms.
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Time to learn ibis some irish and get him fluent like the rest of us. ahem.

what are the basic ways of saying hello and i'm fine in irish? maybe we could optionally greet any newcomers here with those words..

Q. Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú? Cad as duit??
A. Tá mé go maith ?? Ceart go leor ????
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Ibis Can you really read Norwegian ?? And greek? (ancient?)
Back to top Go down

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 3:07 pm

ibis wrote:
riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:
Kate P wrote:

Indeed - but I can read Latin, Greek, Spanish, Norwegian and a couple of others, and speak French (all fairly slowly, mind) , so I don't worry too much. I'm only a monoglot in English/Irish terms.

Well, if you have greek, then there isn't much argument I can give for Irish in regards to linguistic awareness.

However, what about cultural awareness. You are familiar with Irish history, never wanted to read the original Irish romances in their original language? Cogadh Gaedhel re Gallaibh is remarkably intelligible to many modern Irish speakers. As are many of the political poems of the 17th 18th and early 19th century, which give a great insight into common political attitudes of era, (with great use of metaphor, and linguistic ability and wordcraft, if perhaps not always original in their underlying themes). Not to mention the satires (on which Dean swift drew a lot, as well as Aided Fergusa, fergus's adventures in the land of the little people), such as Aislinge Meic Conglinne( a satire on the newly reformed church in the 12th though not easy to understand from a moden Irish point of view), Pairlimint na mBan (a satire on the role of women in late 18th century Ireland), An Ceithearnach Caolriabhach (satire on the marchen), Stair Éamann Uí Chléirigh (an 18th century satire dealing with someones alcohol problems disguised in a marchen), Pairlimint Chloinne Thomáis (a satire on the role of the noveau riche in 17th century Ireland after the collapse of the aristocracy).

I could go on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm new here Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm new here   I'm new here Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm new here
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: