Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The "I LIKE..." thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 am

feckin brilliant Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Edo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Are you going to get a train ticket around the world Edo? Send us a blog or two if you do will you?

The Russians should lock up their daughters Wink

Its still on - tho it will be early next year before I embark - was told that you should see Siberia in January to get a real sense of it. Have a few loose ends to tie up workwise ,a few more shekels to put away and a bit of language learning and other useful skills to get under my belt before I go - its gonna be a long one - and theres a fair bit of planning involved.

Dont worry I'll open a blog here on MN to keep you all informed of my whereabouts -tho knowing my luck and penchant for the spectacular and walking into disaster zones- you'll probably see me on CNN First Very Happy

Have a good break Edo, you have plenty to digest after the last few months. Thanks for bringing the real world into the threads here. Could be every man and woman for themselves in the real world all right, but its one for all and all for one on MN, so we will be thinking of you. Looking forward to the blog, if you have time.

Cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 am

I like to smell the pages of a new Argos catalogue...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 12:20 am

johnfás wrote:

Agreed. Some publications smell fantastic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 2:15 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Agreed. Some publications smell fantastic.

Yeah, I also like the feel of a freshly-photocopied page against my face. The warm goodness is one of the high points from life in school. It's so comforting, it's almost Freudian.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am

The smells in the garden late on a still summer evening.

The smell of a really old library it is almost iodine or bees wax.

Restoring old furniture if only I had more time.

Sitting in a Medieval Cathedral late in a summers evening with the sun streaming through the windows and the dust rising.

Walking in the Alps in summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 12:37 pm

johnfás wrote:

Laughing

Very true that some publications smell good. The smell of varnish, shoe polish and such things as Squire says ...

A good period of dry and sun and then a light shower of rain brings up some smell on a road - it's nice because it's related to sun and heat. Is it the smell of ozone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 pm

A YouTube clip germane to this topic...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:08 am

johnfás wants a new digital camera. He likes the Canon 450D very much. The only problem is that it costs about 600 euro. Should he splash out or should he be more prudent?

The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 Canon450d400d-001
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:10 am

You take a lot of pictures. What's the difference between it and the next one down?

You do know you wouldn't be asking this if you hadn't already made up your mind?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:12 am

I've made up my mind that I want it... I haven't made up my mind that I'm going to get it.

I have a point and shoot digital camera, like anyone here probably has. I have an SLR film camera. An SLR camera has a much quicker shutter speed and it is more adaptible in terms of what it can do. Consequently I could take better photos, particularly in darker places, and also could take pictures of sports/bird life easier.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 am

My SLR is dead old now, bought it in '88, so it's kind of useless. Who uses paper film anymore..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 am

My SLR is dead old now, bought it in '88, so it's kind of useless. Who uses paper film anymore..

I still use mine. All the photos of Africa which have appeared from time to time as my avator are taken on film just scanned onto the computer.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 am

johnfás wrote:

I still use mine. All the photos of Africa which have appeared from time to time as my avator are taken on film just scanned onto the computer.

Do you mean scanned directly from the negative ?

Has it not lost all cost effectiveness now ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 am

Interesting topic here - am hoping to pick up a few bits and pieces of tips as I've no interest in finding out about cameras on my own and they baffle me a bit.

I'd have the same question as Evm - do people use paper and chemicals anymore? I've a dirty sneaking suspicion that they are still far far better than the bestest of the greatest digital SLRs ...

I've also the suspicion that photography is an art that no matter what machine you possess might be no good to you if you don't have the Force ..

I'd also have the suspicion that digital cameras are good for taking photos of the astronomy with a telescope ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

I'd have the same question as Evm - do people use paper and chemicals anymore? I've a dirty sneaking suspicion that they are still far far better than the bestest of the greatest digital SLRs ...

They are still far better, but they aren't as adaptible on a computer because unless you own a big studio with expensive equipment you lose alot of quality when you put them onto your computer. So much of photography these days is edited on computers beyond recognition.

Quote :
I'd also have the suspicion that digital cameras are good for taking photos of the astronomy with a telescope ..

Either are provided you get the aperture and shutter speed correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 am

johnfás wrote:

Do you mean scanned directly from the negative ?

Has it not lost all cost effectiveness now ?

No, scanned from the print and yes it has lost the cost effectiveness over time. But it will take a while for me to go through enough film and processing to bring it up to the cost of a new digital camera. The local pharmacy for some mad reason was giving away free film about 2 months ago so I've about 30 rolls of film waiting to be used!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 am

Stick the excess rolls in the freezer, it will extend their life. Just make sure they're brought back to room temp for a good while before you use them. I'm still on my Film SLR and I wouldn't give it up for the price of a new digital SLR. I've used a few but I just don't like them. I'd rather spend the time composing the shot, getting the settings just right and hoping it comes out as I wanted. Then I somethimes like to mess around and see what happens. All this post shot editing isn't in the spirit of things at all. Plus you can pick up lenses and whatnot form manual SLRs for little or mothing! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 am

Thats where they already are!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 am

johnfás wrote:

Hmm, maybe we need to up the ampage on this. Have you access to some liquid nitrogen? That might be of sufficient coolness to preserve your goods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 2:07 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Hmm, maybe we need to up the ampage on this. Have you access to some liquid nitrogen? That might be of sufficient coolness to preserve your goods.
Heston, is that you? 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 2:11 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Heston, is that you? 

With some mashed papaya and quail egg porridge served with X-rayed rocket salad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Heston, is that you? 

With some mashed papaya and quail egg porridge served with X-rayed rocket salad.
It's is you! I thought your lentil, mercury and diswater soup was divine! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 2:20 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Heston, is that you? 

I'm glad to hear it! Wait till you've had my flambéed pomegranates in an amino acid coulis and you'll be in a whole new world!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2008 2:32 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Heston, is that you? 

I'm glad to hear it! Wait till you've had my flambéed pomegranates in an amino acid coulis and you'll be in a whole new world!
Or back to the gastroenterology ward... again. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "I LIKE..." thread.   The "I LIKE..." thread. - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The "I LIKE..." thread.
Page 7 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next