Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 am

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I wouldn't be so happy for a few reasons,

Even if it was me?

*sulk*

Is this our big Autumn scoop cookiemonster ? As joint winner of the MN Euro Trivia quiz, you should walk it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 2:14 am

cactus flower wrote:
Quote :
That's a very good summary - there is a democratic deficit, there were some improvements on offer, and most of the disconnect is the result of a blank wall at the national level. FF in particular do nothing to help their citizens connect to the EU - instead they prefer to use it to do what they dare not do themselves, and as a handy scapegoat. Sure, that blows up in their faces at treaty referendums, but not at general elections.

I'd even be happy to see Libertas winning a seat, just to shake up the cosy MEP cartel of national-party MEPs. Admittedly, I'd rather see a Green, but I'd prefer a Libertas MEP to an FF one.

I wouldn't be so happy for a few reasons, two of which are that it would mean a lot of people had voted for them, and that the UK eurosceptics already say most of what they say already.

No pain, no gain! The current set-up serves Europe, and us as European citizens, very badly.

cactus flower wrote:
We need a few people who are guanteed non-toadies, without personal vanity and a sense of public service.

There's no reason to think Libertas doesn't have them, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 am

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :
That's a very good summary - there is a democratic deficit, there were some improvements on offer, and most of the disconnect is the result of a blank wall at the national level. FF in particular do nothing to help their citizens connect to the EU - instead they prefer to use it to do what they dare not do themselves, and as a handy scapegoat. Sure, that blows up in their faces at treaty referendums, but not at general elections.

I'd even be happy to see Libertas winning a seat, just to shake up the cosy MEP cartel of national-party MEPs. Admittedly, I'd rather see a Green, but I'd prefer a Libertas MEP to an FF one.

I wouldn't be so happy for a few reasons, two of which are that it would mean a lot of people had voted for them, and that the UK eurosceptics already say most of what they say already.

No pain, no gain! The current set-up serves Europe, and us as European citizens, very badly.

cactus flower wrote:
We need a few people who are guanteed non-toadies, without personal vanity and a sense of public service.

All of the cosy agenda is contrary to Article 1 of the Irish Constitution. When will you political heads actually read the constitutiion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 am

TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

All of the cosy agenda is contrary to Article 1 of the Irish Constitution. When will you political heads actually read the constitutiion.

Yes, this is getting a bit cosy. But the European Parliament is not going to go away and it is a platform, if nothing else. I would like us to be sending some more people who will use it, rather than the likes of P. DeRossa who voted against respect for the Irish vote.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:44 am

cactus flower wrote:
TheGeniusOfCork wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

Yes, this is getting a bit cosy. But the European Parliament is not going to go away and it is a platform, if nothing else. I would like us to be sending some more people who will use it, rather than the likes of P. DeRossa who voted against respect for the Irish vote.

deRossa is one of the few worthwhile MEPs, and the only one who didn't allow cowardice to dictate his response to that stunt amendment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:49 am

Which of his achievements in Europe do you think we should particularly appreciate ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Which of his achievements in Europe do you think we should particularly appreciate ?

If no other one, that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I wouldn't be so happy for a few reasons,

Even if it was me?

*sulk*

Is this our big Autumn scoop cookiemonster ? As joint winner of the MN Euro Trivia quiz, you should walk it.

It's what it took to assuage the dount and confirm my decision.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

Is an infectious dislike of Ganley reason enough?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

Ganley does for me what Klein does for you. There are political differences. Ganley has a lot of reasonable points to make about the EU, its more that I don't agree with his deregulation agenda. EU regulation has done more for Ireland than all the grants and handouts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 2:42 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

Ganley does for me what Klein does for you. There are political differences. Ganley has a lot of reasonable points to make about the EU, its more that I don't agree with his deregulation agenda. EU regulation has done more for Ireland than all the grants and handouts.

What, you find him whiney, annoying but also harbour a secret attraction to him?

Perhaps... but I haven't written off The Guardian just because she writes for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

cactus flower wrote:

What, you find him whiney, annoying but also harbour a secret attraction to him?

Perhaps... but I haven't written off The Guardian just because she writes for it.

And I haven't written off you, just because you support him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 3:51 pm

cactus flower wrote:

I can count on your vote then? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 4:34 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 Libert10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Totally being my campaign director, AT!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

Very Happy And I'm totally ready to serve a fine candidate of your unimpeachable calibre, sir!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 7:45 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

If you're standing for Libertas, you'll be able to count on it going somewhere else Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 8:56 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

If you're standing for Libertas, you'll be able to count on it going somewhere else Very Happy

I'm feeling the cold wind of contradiction blowing on the firm naked buttocks of statements past.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Very Happy And I'm totally ready to serve a fine candidate of your unimpeachable calibre, sir!

With AT by my side I don't need no stinking Cactus Flower vote. AT's vote is worth ten of that of an ordinary man*.

*using SFVT. (Sinn Fein voting Technique)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

With AT by my side I don't need no stinking Cactus Flower vote. AT's vote is worth ten of that of an ordinary man*.

*using SFVT. (Sinn Fein voting Technique)

You're ever so kind cookie, did you notice the way I used Eurostile for the main campaign poster? It seemed the most appropriate one to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?   European Elections - Who's Standing for What ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

European Elections - Who's Standing for What ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2